Bo Pelini: Colorado is our rival

knapplc

It's always amusing when enough people disagree with a poster that his only possible explanation is that they're a herd of gullible sheep.

It is what it is, Milli Vanilli. Let's put it to bed.

I'm hoping the whole chief/Indian rejoinder wasn't wasted - somewhat clever, yes? It's not my best work, but it was at least slightly amusing. I was doing another fake hurling post but deleted it - you can't go to that well too many times in one thread.

I always looked at rivalry games as a must win and when you didn't the coach was in trouble, sort of like the coaches in the Ohio State and Michigan or Alabama and Auburn. The saying was you can lose all your games but you must beat them. (though thats a joke)

Beating Colorado didn't save Solich's job so I have a hard time thinking of Colorado as a real rival.

Bo stated that because people that live near Colorado and drive to the game would have to hear about losing to them is a reason it's a rivalry. Well I have to work in CB and listen to the two Iowa State fans about losing to them this year does that make them a rival to now?

That's a good point. Does Hawkins save his job with a win friday?

I always looked at rivalry games as a must win and when you didn't the coach was in trouble, sort of like the coaches in the Ohio State and Michigan or Alabama and Auburn. The saying was you can lose all your games but you must beat them. (though thats a joke)

Beating Colorado didn't save Solich's job so I have a hard time thinking of Colorado as a real rival.

Bo stated that because people that live near Colorado and drive to the game would have to hear about losing to them is a reason it's a rivalry. Well I have to work in CB and listen to the two Iowa State fans about losing to them this year does that make them a rival to now?

That's a good point. Does Hawkins save his job with a win friday?

If Hawkins beats Nubraska and keeps his job it won't be the win that saves his job it will be the economy. Yes we have the money to buy him out but the University is hesitant to still throw out that cash considering the budget shortfall. Not only do we have to buy out Talkins but we would have to buy out assistants and then come up with the green to hire someone decent, if we fire Talkins and hire a high school coach then what is the point?

a rivalry to me is more about respect...

OU is our rival, MU could be considered a rival, ISU could be considered a rival, CU? not so much

I keep hearing things that a rivalry must include respect but everytime I cite examples of rivalries that are between schools that rate on just about everyone's Top 10 in college footbal and then I point out how much hate and lack of respect there is between those two schools all I hear is crickets.

OU is our rival, MU could be considered a rival, ISU could be considered a rival, CU? not so much

I keep hearing things that a rivalry must include respect but everytime I cite examples of rivalries that are between schools that rate on just about everyone's Top 10 in college footbal and then I point out how much hate and lack of respect there is between those two schools all I hear is crickets.

Because you're being myopic about those rivalries. Sure, Alabama/Auburn has plenty of vitriol. Heck, Nebraska/Oklahoma used to as well. You couldn't drive across a small town in Nebraska in the 80s without seeing the bumper sticker "Better Dead Than Sooner Red," or, "If I owned Hell and Oklahoma, I'd live in Hell and rent out Oklahoma." But at the same time you're going to be able to find folks in Alabama that root for the Tide and have respect (but not love) for Auburn, and vice versa. We had a love/hate relationship with the Sooners back in the day. Today it's mitigated because we miss playing each other so much, but if we played every year for the next ten years, it wouldn't take more than two or three for some angst to show up again.

That doesn't mean there's a lack of respect. It means you want to beat that team with all the fiber of your being.

Because you're being myopic about those rivalries. Sure, Alabama/Auburn has plenty of vitriol. Heck, Nebraska/Oklahoma used to as well. You couldn't drive across a small town in Nebraska in the 80s without seeing the bumper sticker "Better Dead Than Sooner Red," or, "If I owned Hell and Oklahoma, I'd live in Hell and rent out Oklahoma." But at the same time you're going to be able to find folks in Alabama that root for the Tide and have respect (but not love) for Auburn, and vice versa. We had a love/hate relationship with the Sooners back in the day. Today it's mitigated because we miss playing each other so much, but if we played every year for the next ten years, it wouldn't take more than two or three for some angst to show up again.

That doesn't mean there's a lack of respect. It means you want to beat that team with all the fiber of your being.

When I find a 'Bammer and a Barner that respect each other I will let you know because right now 3 days before the Iron Bowl I have yet to find any. I have a friend who is a huge Auburn guy and a couple of years ago they sent out invitations to their son's birthday party. The invitation was an Auburn themed invitation which made light of Auburn's winning streak over Alabama at the time. One particular invitation was sent to some close friends who were big Alabama fans. These people got so offended that they refused to let their child go to the birthday party and these people are still not talking to each other today. I fail to find the "respect" in all of that. I am not trying to convince you knapplc of any rivalry between CU/NU because I already know and respect your position on the subject but I do reject this notion of "respect" as a requirement to be a rivalry. Speaking of respect anyhow, I understand that you do not respect me as a fan of Colorado, it doesn't bother me at all, but do you really think or believe that Bo Pelini is not going to respect Colorado as an opponent this Friday or that Dan Hawkins will not respect Nebraska as an opponent this Friday? I would argue that both coaches will respect their opponents and do their very best to be as prepared as possible for a victory, I just think that yours will probably be just a little more prepared then mine...lol

I do reject this notion of "respect" as a requirement to be a rivalry.

Fair enough. It's a dubious point, and really hard to prove.

Speaking of respect anyhow, I understand that you do not respect me as a fan of Colorado, it doesn't bother me at all...

Wait - what? I have total respect for you, BB! You've always been great to talk to. I don't have much love for your team, but you and fro and Cy and Killer Cacti and most of the fans whose teams we've played against are great, fun people.

There's the football animosity I have for Colorado between the stripes, but off the field I hope everyone associated with the team is happy and healthy.

I would hate for you to think I had anything against you. You're good people.

We will see what the comments are if we should happen to lose this Friday.

We will see what kind of endoresment the media gives Nebraska after such a loss.

We will see how recruiting goes because of it.

I think we win, but god forbid we do not. This season will be a total loss. No improvement in anyway over what we had with Callahan if this games goes down.

Losses to Iowa State and Colorado, the cellar dwellers of the cellar of BCS Football.

Yea tell me this game is not important.

Nebraska is not about winning the North, playing in the CCG and getting hammered. It is about getting back on track to the NC hunt. We lose this game the positives that have come this year go out the window.

Callahan could not win the big games, but if we lose this game, Bo becomes worse because he lost to the lowest of the lows, both in the same season.

I do reject this notion of "respect" as a requirement to be a rivalry.

Fair enough. It's a dubious point, and really hard to prove.

Speaking of respect anyhow, I understand that you do not respect me as a fan of Colorado, it doesn't bother me at all...

Wait - what? I have total respect for you, BB! You've always been great to talk to. I don't have much love for your team, but you and fro and Cy and Killer Cacti and most of the fans whose teams we've played against are great, fun people.

There's the football animosity I have for Colorado between the stripes, but off the field I hope everyone associated with the team is happy and healthy.

I would hate for you to think I had anything against you. You're good people.

Let me clarify, since I am a Colorado fan, and since some of our fans have created some situations that caused embarrassment I had assumed that the lack of respect or hatred for Colorado was mainly targeting Colorado fans and not really the school or the team. For example I do not like Nebraska mainly because I feel some Cornhusker fans believe that national titles or on the field success is a birthrite rather than earned. It is that same attitude that I find with Notre Dame fans and Alabama fans. So my disdain comes from the comments and actions of a few just as many opinions about Colorado fans come as the result of comments and actions of a few. It is probably silly in the overall view of things but to a degree it is that attitude that gives us entertainment as well. I would be surprised to learn that some Cornhusker fans actually hate Colorado as a team because of its players as a whole just as I would be surprised to learn that my Colorado bretheren would hate Nebraska because of its players as a whole. Tommy Frazier was the bane to my existence but that son of a bitch was awesome to watch and I would never use the word hate or I could use the word hate as in I hated that he did not go to Colorado...lol Trev Alberts was and still is a douche though :)

We will see what the comments are if we should happen to lose this Friday.

We will see what kind of endoresment the media gives Nebraska after such a loss.

We will see how recruiting goes because of it.

I think we win, but god forbid we do not. This season will be a total loss. No improvement in anyway over what we had with Callahan if this games goes down.

Losses to Iowa State and Colorado, the cellar dwellers of the cellar of BCS Football.

Yea tell me this game is not important.

Nebraska is not about winning the North, playing in the CCG and getting hammered. It is about getting back on track to the NC hunt. We lose this game the positives that have come this year go out the window.

Callahan could not win the big games, but if we lose this game, Bo becomes worse because he lost to the lowest of the lows, both in the same season.

Good perceptive