SIGNED QB Bubba Starling

Jake Locker is doing it right now. Still rated in Kiper's top 5. I'm guessing that is what Jeff Samardjzia (sp?) did while at Notre Dame. Drew Henson too?

Locker signed with the Angels for his rights, but never played a game for them and said he planned on focusing solely on football, IIRC... Samardzija played for Notre Dame, not in the minors, similar to what Khiry is doing right now...

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Toby Gerhart play baseball as well? And I'd say he did it successfully too.

Gerhart also played for Stanford, not in the minors.

The QB at Clemson whose name eludes my memory(need KillerCacti on this one) and Garrett Lee down at LSU is another one. Lee did just agree with Dodgers if I recall correctly.

Kyle Parker plays for the Clemson baseball team, again, not a minor league team.. And you're thinking of former commit Zac Lee, which spurned the Tigers on the last day and shocked everyone by signing with the Dodgers. He will not see campus.

------

While it is legal for a player to sign a minor league contract and still retain their amature status for football, it is rare. Ricky Williams did do it as did Dennis Dixon and several others.. However, it doesn't happen that often and we have a better chance of him playing football and baseball than we do of him signing a minor league deal and playing football also.

• 2 weeks later...

To date Bubba has ran for 1180 yards this season and 18 TD's. He is also averaging a freakinsh 14 yards a carry. He is 32-70 passing for 640 yard and 4 scores. No biggie with the passing cause his HS Gardner-Edgerton only averages 390+yards a game running.

Reminder to all, if you have ESPNU tune in this Friday at 7 and check out Bubba as he and his team take on Overland Park Aquinas alma mater of Kyler Reed and features Kyler's bro Dagan who holds an NU offer.

I already got my DVR set for this game. Tom Luginbill will be calling the game, he was one unsportsmanlike conduct two days ago and said Bubba has increased his wieght to 210 pounds, and still stands at 6'5". He also stated he is faster than Tim Tebow, and has a stronger arm at this point in his career.

Oct 20th Seg #7

Quarterback Bubba Starling chills out by catching catfish

By TOD PALMER

The Kansas City Star

Gardner Edgerton quarterback Bubba Starling recently recaptured a long-elusive, 40-pound catfish in his uncle Gary Strack’s pond. The catfish weighed 15 to 20 pounds (left) when Starling was 7.

More News

High school results Notre Dame de Sion girls tennis satisfied with second Quarterback Bubba Starling chills out by catching catfish High school athletes of the week Friday night sights High School Football High school results Gardner Edgerton QB Starling selected for All-American Bowl Sion strolls to fourth straight Class 2 state golf title High school results Notre Dame has record-setting round at Missouri Class 2 state golf tournament High school results Blue Valley’s Ashley Tiefel’s singles victory leads Tigers to team title High school results Strong pitching, batting put Truman past Lee’s Summit in quarterfinals Wellington wins the 4A team and doubles titles, while St. James’ Honer is singles champ Next week’s high school football schedule Friday highlights for Oct. 16 High school football bests After losing to Blue Valley, Aquinas faces a rugged test in a loaded district Although Bubba Starling may never suit up for Nebraska, Cornhuskers fans consider him a big catch — understandable, given his uncommon talent on the gridiron and baseball diamond.

But last spring, Starling, Gardner Edgerton’s hulking 6-foot-5, 200-pound senior quarterback, was much more worried about landing his own whopper than about colleges’ ongoing chase to secure his oral commitment.

“When I was 5 years old or something like that, one of my cousin’s friends threw a catfish that was about 15 or 20 pounds in the pond at my uncle’s house,” said Starling, whose given name is Derek.

The family took a snapshot of Starling — who was actually 7 at the time, according to his mother, Deb — holding the greenish beast before it was released.

It’s a moment that stuck with Starling, and catching that catfish again became something of a life’s mission.

As the years ticked by, no matter how many times Starling cast a line in the pond that he helps his uncle Gary Strack stock, he never reeled in the one fish he so desperately wanted to hook.

That changed in mid-May.

While Nebraska and Notre Dame were among the many suitors putting on the full-court press, Starling tried to escape it all jug fishing at Strack’s pond.

There’s little wonder why Starling would be drawn to fishing.

He’s a country boy at heart, much like his father, Jim. Starling feels at home in the outdoors and is an avid hunter.

He’s also a kid who was forced to change his cell-phone number before he reached voting age and who has spent the last few years subjected to the intense scrutiny of peers and the news media.

It’s a lot for anyone to endure, especially a high school student, but Starling seems to handle it all with grace — much like the manner in which he glides almost effortlessly across a football field toward the end zone time and again.

Fishing is quiet, peaceful and relaxing, a welcome diversion from the craziness that has come to mark so much of Starling’s life. It also has its rewards.

Starling started that day in May by snagging a smaller fish — a bluegill or perch, he said — which he put on the end of a hook attached to some 50-pound test line tied to a milk jug.

It didn’t take long before the jug, acting as a massive bobber, started darting around the pond, prompting Starling to paddle after it in his uncle’s boat.

Catching the fish mirrored the battle defenders face on Friday nights trying to corral Starling. It was at times frustrating and didn’t happen quickly. It almost didn’t happen at all, but Starling eventually managed to reel in the monster fish.

Finally, his days channeling Captain Ahab were over as Starling again held up the very fish he’d been after for 11 years. It now weighed nearly 40 pounds.

Starling has played for the Kansas 5A state title and homered for the USA Baseball Under-18 national team. ESPNU is in town to broadcast his Trailblazers’ home football game tonight against St. Thomas Aquinas.

Still, not much topped that moment on the pond.

“Oh, it definitely ranks pretty high up there,” Starling said. “The next day, I had a final to take for school. I was supposed to get to sleep early that night, but I was too excited. I couldn’t sleep.”

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/21/2341367/quarterback-bubba-starling-chills.html#ixzz136X986MB

Article

as i put in another thread, i spoke to his uncle at parent teacher conferences the other night, and his uncle seemed very confident if he goes to college it will be NU. at NU he would do both sports....he didnt say the odds or anything about him going MLB but i got the feeling he felt that bubba would like to goto NU and play both sports but when the money is in front of you ????? uncle said Notre Dame did not impress him