Rank EM! The Voice's of the Huskers

I love Rose for just that reason. He was very exciting to listen to. If I wanted a dry, no-nonsense rundown of the events I'd have the live update play-by-play.

Greg Sharpe does wonderful coverage and is obviously very talented. But Rose just loved the Huskers, I mean out of his mind, ga-ga loved them and it bled through in every second of his coverage.

Sharpe's a K-State guy and I don't hold that against him, it was just a plus for Rose. His "touchdown Nebraska" lines are very business like, even if he gets all gruffy-voiced when he does it. Every time we scored you could tell Rose was peeing his pants in giddiness.

1) Sharpe - very easy to follow the game with him and I think he still brings enough excitement. I've really enjoyed listening to him, especially after suffering through Rose.

2a) Perry - Like Sharpe you knew what was going on, and back in my youth when there were 3 or 4 stations to chose from, he's the one I went with. I thought I might have been about the only one, at least to now admit listening to him over the legendary Bremser, but I see that I'm not.

2b) Bremser - way past his prime by the time I started listening, and it was harder to follow, but I love his voice on old replays. I'm guessing he'd be my #1 if I had listened to him earlier in his career.

3a) Swain - good voice, too dull

3b) Moreland - not bad, not great

3c) Pavelka - a lot of excitement, but he tried too hard to stand out (Tommie Fraz-yah) and that took away from the game. I think he has the advantage of doing the mid 90s glory years so people are going to fondly remember about everything from those years. Put him in the booth when were 7-7 and his schtick would get very old.

4) Rose - Just way too hard to follow the game. You couldn't tell a 1 yard gain from a 9 yard gain until he told you the next down and distance, and every back was "spun down" on every single play. Opposite of Pavelka, he covered some lousy years and that made many of us less tolerant of his style.

2b) Bremser - way past his prime by the time I started listening, and it was harder to follow, but I love his voice on old replays. I'm guessing he'd be my #1 if I had listened to him earlier in his career.

I have no doubt if you'd have grown up listening to him he'd be #1 on your list. The man had no peer amongst Husker broadcasters.

For me the in the 60's it was Bob Zener. As a grade schooler back then. he was the voice I remember, when the program started to turn into what it is today. I think he got sick, and had to give it up, but he was the best at announcing Husker games I ever heard.

GBR!!!

FGBWRBVIYFDGXEP.20080812145646.jpgGreg Sharpe

56ab5d56-e857-56b6-b2d6-238503be4483.preview-300.jpg Jim Rose

08Pavelka-.jpgKent Pavelka

3968.jpgWarren Swain

bremser.jpg Lyle Bremser

Not hard to see why some of these guys were in "radio" broadcasting. Wonders how we would vote the "Best face for radio." ?? Two guesses as to who gets my vote.

3968.jpgCoach%20Snyder.jpg

_______Swain____________Snyder

Warren Swain looks like he could be Bill Snyder's fat little brother. :lol:

Your list is great with the exception that I would vote Kent P after Lyle. The thing I liked about Pavelka's broadcasting is that he knew the Nebraska players who were from Nebraska. It really added depth to his commentating. I know it was probably even more special to the folks of these kids to hear that this player was from ?, Nebraska and was a star for ? Nebraska high school. I liked that. The current guy is ok. I like hearing Matt Davidson and really think it was cheap that they fired Adrian Fealla. (sp?) That guy knows Husker football. What a shame they took him off the air. (I'm glad he's still on Big Red Wrap Up!)

Mine goes like this:

Play-by-play guys

1a) Lyell Bremser - While I don't recall too much, I do recall enjoying his broadcasts.

1b) Greg Sharpe - I love Sharpe style and the way he calls a game. Makes it easy to follow, and shows a great enthusiasm.

2) Kent Pavelka - Loved listening to Kent, and loved the Touchdown, touchdown, touchdown!

3) Jim Rose - While he could make the game incredibly difficult to follow, his excitement sealed it for me to place him ahead of Warren

4) Warren Swain - Warren was servicable, but it was noticeable they were going for a different call from Kent, and just went too far in the non-excitement, cool, calm direction. Just didn't really grab me.

Color guys -

1) Gary Saddlemeyer - Best color guy that I can recall. He just seemed to be able to add little details at any time, and he and Kent just fit together really well.

2) Adrian Fiala - I really liked Adrian. Thought he added a lot more to the broadcast, and gave you a lot more insight into the mind of the player, than Matt is able to do.

3) Matt Davison - Matt's grown on me a bit over time, but I think he just still sounds out of place in offering color commentary. Too many comments that don't seem to give analysis, and offer way too much fluff. I tend to think his notoriety and youth got him the job over Adrian, though it's obvious others here would disagree.

On a side note, I think we have the best set of broadcasters for all sports that I can remember in quite a while. With Sharpe, Baylor, Pavelka, and Coatney, I think we've got the five broadcast sports covered well, with good or great announcers for each.

Some of my best memories as a kid sitting at my grandparents house listening to games on the radio. I'm not old enough for Bremser but remember Pavelka. One that sticks in my mind was the loss to Iowa St. in the early 90's, I think it was one of Frazier's only losses. I thought he was gonna start crying on the radio I know I almost did, but I was like 12.

The OP's list is pretty good. In my list I might swap Sharpe and Pavelka, but it's really a toss up at this point. Otherwise, that order is good for me. I hate hate hated listening to Rose. That was a time when I had no option to watch at least half of NU's games, so an Internet stream of the radio broadcast was it for me, and that was always painful with Rose.

Dick Perry was a consummate pro, knew his football and had the better broadcast voice.

Lyell Bremser brought more character and that's worth quite a bit.

But I'd still call them peers. And given the choice I went with Perry.

Don Gill on KLIN wasn't shabby himself.

Full disclosure: Dick Perry gave me a brand new Gale Sayers football during the BIg Red Breakfast Buffet at the old Villiager when I was a kid.

I really liked Kent Pavelka and wished that he would stop doing the Basketball games and return to announcing the Football games, nothing against Greg Sharpe. I really like Greg Sharpe and I think he does a really good and professional job as our current gameday announcer. Greg Sharpe brings in that energy that Rose left behind and I think he has more of that energy too. I don't know much about Lyle Bremser because that was way before my time and the only audio clip I've heard of his is from Johnny Rodgers punt return against OU.

I didn't mind Jim Rose and why I liked him was basically his energy that he brought into the booth on Saturdays. He really got you into the game with his excitement during big plays and/or hits throughout the game. Do I miss him, no not really because again I think Greg Sharpe in doing any outstanding job right now. I really like the sound bite of Greg Sharpe in this video clip and gives me chills everytime I hear not just because of the audio clip but because I wasn't actually at that game.

This is the audio from the University radio station for that same kick... I was standing right next to John when he had this call.. One of the better calls I have ever heard, and it was from a 23 year old grad student.

It's all your fault tschu! ;) Wow, turns out this thread was started over two years ago. I posted twice in here too without realizing it. I knew we had had a discussion like this before, but didn't realize the same thread was brought back up. That is pretty funny though, Minny posted more or less the exact same thing.

I was gonna give him a hard time for being an old man with memory loss, but I posted twice in here too without realizing it. I knew we had a discussion like this before, but didn't realize the same thread was brought back up. It's all your fault tschu! ;)