CU and Nebraska to the PAC-10?

UGAHusker

Well I don't see the incentive for Texas to go anywhere. They own the conference. It's their show to run. The Big 12 will always bend over backwards for Texas. But for fun if Texas were to leave why would NU be in trouble? Nebraska has enough notoriety and loyal fanbase to attract any conference's attention. I'd be hard pressed to believe even the Big 10 not considering making room for us (assuming at this time they have their 12th team already)

If Texas leaves I don't see them bringing Oklahoma with them anywhere and the Big XII might start looking like the Big 8 with Nebraska and Oklahoma in the North and South. If the MWC keeps growing the way they've been (add at least Fresno and Boise from the WAC) then I don't think the Big XII would be able to get any teams from that conference and might have to look East to Conference USA. Houston would be a good team to bring in for football (also gives us a foothold in the Houston market we'd lose if Texas), Memphis would be good for Basketball (though might not be good for football).

If Texas does leave the conference it won't be the death of it, but I do think there might be a couple years to get things settled (especially if more than just Texas leaves).

Well I don't see the incentive for Texas to go anywhere. They own the conference. It's their show to run. The Big 12 will always bend over backwards for Texas. But for fun if Texas were to leave why would NU be in trouble? Nebraska has enough notoriety and loyal fanbase to attract any conference's attention. I'd be hard pressed to believe even the Big 10 not considering making room for us (assuming at this time they have their 12th team already)

That would be a switch!

I wouldn't mind this move actually. More chance of me going to live games this way. A careful analysis of how this would affect recruiting would need to be done. I think TX might dry up, as who would want to go to Lincoln to play games on the west coast? Just cut out the middle man and sign with SC or UCLA etc. We might pick up more Californians, but enough to make it work? Would enough top midwest players find it interesting to only be a few states or less away from home, yet play in the Pac10? That is what would make or break the deal IMO. :hellloooo

San Diego State or maybe UNLV would be logical choices. NU or CU joining the PAC 10 is just silly talk.

Ultimately the PAC 10 will not add any other team. This conference realignment talk happens every offseason.

However you're forgetting that the PAC 10 + Big 10 are witnessing just how much cash and notoriety they're missing out on by not having a Champ game. They see the writing on the wall. The BCS contracts are up in 2013, with the MWC gaining more and more steam, which is a direct threat to the PAC 10, they almost have no choice but to expand.

The Big East has 8 teams in it's league, by far the crappiest BCS conference. If the MWC is still around then, and they add Boise, Fresno and maybe some others, look for them to take the big east's bid while holding a CHAMP game. This would severely hurt the PAC 10. I don't think they want any of that. The Big 10 + PAC 10 may have no choice but to expand to the CCG route and add teams. Either way, this could really impact NU and I hope TO and the NU AD are being very proactive and watching out for NU.

I'm pretty sure stuff will go down in the next couple years, too much $$$$$$$$$$$$ on the line.

Bingo! Let's not forget there are some very smart and capable people running these multi-million dollar universities. And while we the fans are thinking about the money that has been made in Division 1 athletics in the past 5 years, they are thinking about the money to be made in the next 15! Sure to us fans the rivalries and traditions seem paramount in these discussions, but to the folks running the show at many universities the bottom line is sustaining profitability. So I highly doubt a shift in conference or regional alliances is as big of a factor to them as it is to us the fans.

As far as NU changing conferences, I just don't see it ever happening. There just isn't much to gain by joining the Pac10, but there are an endless number of reasons why the move would be bad for NU. The biggest hurdle being the distance. Not many univ can afford to send their teams half way across the country 2, 3, or even 4 weeks in a row, especially since most universities can't afford the travel expenses they have now! I think the only Big12 team that could work is CU, and I imagine they would jump at the chance. I know I will gladly see them off.

After CU the only teams I think have any shot at an invite are Boise St and BYU, followed far behind by Utah, Airforce, and maybe Fresno St.

:facepalm: No FRIGGIN' way....Colorado is not, will never be, Nebraska's "rivalry"....not in my lifetime, and if it happens because we get somebody like Pederson for an AD again after I am dead, I will not just roll over in my grave, I will cause the biggest earthquake the world has ever seen!

The other teams in the PAC-10 are too far away to make this even conceivable, not only for Nebraska, but for Texas, too. I would love to see Colorado go...that way we could get rid of them for good...sorry Buff fan.

This was discussed on 1620 today. Don't remember the guys name but he said that the pac-10 will never add byu because they are not a research institute. He also said that is just a nice way of saying they won't add them because of the religious implications that come along with byu. Just like not wanting a playoff or a ccg the pac-10 will hide behind acedemics for a reason not to do something.

ASU Season Tickets starting at $99...

I'm in.

How many games does the team not currently fly to?

What's another hundred miles added to a few games?

Austin is about the same distance from Lincoln as Tempe is.

But seriously..If there were ever a reorganization of the conferences, I'd just as soon see us go independent. (But I do like us joining the Pac10 much more than melding with the BigTeleven).

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to think the evil Playoff Mongers are behind all of this.

First, they water down the best-est Rivalry game in all of Football by having us only play OU every couple of years.

Then they start letting go of the "lesser Rivalries" so we lose interest in the regular season ...Just so we wouldn't have THAT as an excuse not to go for a full fledged playoff.

Where's my Gun?

• Fire 1

I heard Notre Dame is gonna join the PAC-10 and we're gonna join the Sun Belt...

And then the cow jumped over the moon

i dont know much about conference stuff or placement... though i was in north carolina when the ACC expanded which set off that wild chain of events.........

BUT i wouldbt suprised if some mountain west conference team bolts... i mean they are ALL PAC-10 rejects or wannabe's twice over ( in the last real incarnataion of the WAC before is was split and now over 10 times zones and now in the MWC)

so i could see a lot a Utah/byu with the edget to utah (forget the bitching of liberal sh**ty ass Cal in the end its all about $$$$$)

and yes i could see Cu in the mix but it would be a far reach and push the Pac 10 to its max geographical limit.......

Boise state or Nevada or Fresno State (if all else fails, Boise state more likely a MWC if Pac 10 expands)

First off I understand that the intent of the article was to cover the likelyhood of every possible option. That being said I think the board would crash if I were to use the number of face palms required to descirbe thed stupidy of Nebraska leaving for the pac 10. The point he makes about ALL of our recruits being from californa is out of the callahan era. Why we we leave a "texas centered conferance" to join a conferance that would more than likely be cali centered? Good article about expansion but some of the teams mentioned should not have been to be taken seriously.