Rex Burkhead listed as a breakout player in 2010

FYI....

Click me

Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska: When Nebraska running back Roy Helu Jr., went out of the Holiday Bowl with a knee injury, freshman Burkhead stepped into the lineup and made the 2010 Huskers offense a lot more interesting. The 5-foot-11, 200-pounder rushed 17 times for 89 yards and a touchdown in Nebraska’s 33-0 rout of Arizona. Burkhead ran the Wildcat offense as if he had been born in it. Burkhead, who had 81 carries for 349 yards and three scores in 2009, bought himself time alongside Helu next fall instead of behind him.

how do you guys think the carries will be split up between Helu Jr and Burkhead?

I think it depends a lot on the health of Helu. If he stays healthy, I see it playing out like 2009, with Helu getting the majority of the carriers and Burkhead coming in for a change of pace/to rest Helu and wildcat formations. Between Helu, Burkhead, and Trey we are in a good spot as far as RB is concerned, that's for sure.

I think they will split carries pretty evenly. Helu has not shown he can carry the load of a full time back, so to remain healthy at the RB position we are going to need to split them 50/50, which is fine with me. I am more than comfortable with either of these two running the ball. Hopefully a 3rd back can step up and get a couple of carries a game as well. Last year proved you can never have too many RB's.

I realize that Helu was injured for most of the season, but Burkhead was a true freshman and most of the time looked way better than Helu. I think a healthy Helu will perform much better next fall, but the reps should be at least 50/50 IMO. If not a few more for burkhead, but I also think the wildcat formation w/both in the game could be awesome. Either way we are in a very good situation at that position, espeacially with Trey and Heard.

I'd like to see Helu fully healthy for a season. I'm betting they split carries almost evenly to keep Roy fresh. When he's healthy and on his game he's a force, no doubt. It's just that he doesn't stay healthy for a full season.

Burkhead is a real weapon, and he's tough. I'd be amazed if anyone stepped in front of him for PT, other than a healthy Helu.

Burkhead will get the majority of the carries as Helu fights with nagging injuries. Too bad bacause I'm a huge Helu fan but I don't think we will see him recognize his potential. (This is my speculation to extra insight what so ever)

Burkhead seems to be something special but we will see how he holds up when he has more teams preparing for him and has higher expectations.

54/46 split in Helu's favor, & that's with Helu staying at least 90% healthy all season. Helu will have more breakout runs and therefore more yardage, somewhere around 1200 on the ground. Rex will get more tough yards & be more potent with the wildcat to finish with at least 700 rushing yards.