SIGNED OT Zach Sterup

The wait is over.

Zach Sterup is going to be a Husker.

The St. Cecilia standout offensive lineman has verbally committed to the Nebraska football team, telling NU assistant coach Barney Cotton of the news Friday last week — a day after meeting with NU's offensive line coach — and announcing it to the rest of the world Tuesday.

"I just knew I wanted to go to Nebraska and I didn't see any point in dragging it on," the 6-foot-9, 260-pound Sterup said Tuesday evening. "I was kind of getting sick of the recruiting process, having to call everybody back and having to deal with all the publicity. I just knew I wanted to go to Nebraska, and I decided I didn't want to wait any longer."

Sterup, a four-star offensive tackle recruit by Rivals.com who will be a senior in the fall, initially had said he planned to wait until the fall before committing.

But, a month after Nebraska became the 11th school to offer Sterup, the offensive tackle made his decision.

"I went down (to Lincoln) Thursday for an unofficial visit and I just met with everybody and had a more in depth visit than I had before," Sterup said. "I just felt real comfortable with everybody, and said it's not going to get any better than this. I just woke up Friday and thought about it and decided that's where I wanted to go — might as well not drag it on any further if I knew where I wanted to go."

Sterup called it a relief to have to the recruiting process out of the way.

"It's really relieving," he said. "It's kind of been hectic now that everyone is calling and having to get back to everyone. After that, things will settle down and hopefully I'll be left alone for a little bit and can just kind of enjoy the summer.

"It's nice to finally be all squared away so I don't have to worry about anything and I can just focus on being a high school student-athlete and working toward my senior season. It's a real weight off my back."

He becomes the Huskers' 12th commitment for the 2011 class, five of which are offensive linemen, and will sign with Nebraska in February.

Sterup had received offers from more than a dozen teams, including Big Ten schools Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Iowa was the first school to offer Sterup, back in February, and joined Nebraska among his top two choices.

Now that he has made his decision, Sterup is looking forward to enjoying the rest of the summer. He was selected to play on the Bison-Nebraska Red basketball team, which features some of state's top to-be senior hoops players, but recently decided against participating on the team.

"It was a big time commitment and this is my last summer in Hastings," Sterup said. "I just want to spend it with friends and family. I also want to focus on football and training throughout the whole summer. I just didn't think I could do that playing basketball. I'm still going to be playing basketball 2-3 times a week with my school team."

Sterup is the first player at St. Cecilia to get a scholarship out of high school to play football at the NCAA Division I level under coach Carl Tesmer, who came to St. Cecilia in 1991.

"I think it's exciting — very, very exciting," Tesmer said. "All the speculation seems to be over."

LINK

HastingsHusker, Not that good? How do you figure? You obviously know more than the 13 division one staff members/coaches and Rivals.com Scout.com staff, Please give us your expert analysis.

If the Huskers would have missed this in state gem, I would have given up on Cotton and staff.

HastingsHusker, Not that good? How do you figure? You obviously know more than the 13 division one staff members/coaches and Rivals.com Scout.com staff, Please give us your expert analysis.

If the Huskers would have missed this in state gem, I would have given up on Cotton and staff.

I'm pretty sure he means not very good at basketball. There was talk of him possibly playing both bball and fball at UNL.

Apparently the staff liked what they saw at camp and the rumor-mill was wrong about the kid pushing 6'10", he's actually 6'8". Nice get, pretty impressive that we got four rivals 4*'s in the same OL-class.

Will be interesting to see if he's the last local from this class or if Fisher gets an offer.

Holy Crap. Imagine our possible O-Line in a couple years. It could stack up like this:

LT: Tyler Moore 6'6" 290

LG: Jeremiah Sirles 6'6" 310

C: Ryne Reeves 6'3" 300

RG: Brent Qvale 6'7 335

RT: Zach Sterup 6'8" 270

Just think, except for Qvale and Sirles, that's their size BEFORE they make it to campus/weight room. And IIRC, Sirles projects as more of a tackle, but I slotted him at guard just for his size. If you're not happy with that, go ahead and slot in either Jesse Coffey (6'7" 290) or Nick Ash (6'5" 261). I find it kind of funny that the 6'3" 300 lb. guy will feel tiny. We are going to have one mammoth offensive line!

• Fire 1

Holy Crap. Imagine our possible O-Line in a couple years. It could stack up like this:

LT: Tyler Moore 6'6" 290

LG: Jeremiah Sirles 6'6" 310

C: Ryne Reeves 6'3" 300

RG: Brent Qvale 6'7 335

RT: Zach Sterup 6'8" 270

Just think, except for Qvale and Sirles, that's their size BEFORE they make it to campus/weight room. And IIRC, Sirles projects as more of a tackle, but I slotted him at guard just for his size. If you're not happy with that, go ahead and slot in either Jesse Coffey (6'7" 290) or Nick Ash (6'5" 261). I find it kind of funny that the 6'3" 300 lb. guy will feel tiny. We are going to have one mammoth offensive line!

Looks the pipeline is on its way back, now I juts pray Braney can get these kids ready and play to their full potnetial. If not then I will petition for Milt Tenipor to come back! :koolaid2: