OT Andrus Peat [Stanford Commit]

Nexus

Knapp, now is not the time for rainbows and kittens...

What is it time for? Overreacting based on the decision of an 18-year-old who's never played a down of D1 football?

I'm just not in to the whole "sky is falling" thing because a very good player went to another school. Especially when he's saying that education was a major part of his decision and he signed with Stanford.

What is it time for? Overreacting based on the decision of an 18-year-old who's never played a down of D1 football?

I'm just not in to the whole "sky is falling" thing because a very good player went to another school. Especially when he's saying that education was a major part of his decision and he signed with Stanford.

It was sarcasm..... Wait am I grounded now?

this class isn't very good.

I hope you're not quitting your day job to become a talent analyst.

It seems that this would be the consensus view among any scouting service or respected recruiting followers, no?

I realize the important thing right now is to stay positive, especially after losing the 2nd ranked Tackle in the nation, but how are you going to savor this class at the moment?

You can say this class could end up being great, but without hindsight, this class does not stack up with the other school's classes.

Again, I realize you're trying to stay positive, so I wouldn't badger you about it.

We have a top 25 class. Out of 120 D1A schools, that is far from "average." Sure, other schools have better classes. What's different about that than the other 120-something years of Husker football? We've never won a championship with a #1 class.

i absolutely agree. A top 25 class is what the national guys will rank us. What does that translate into? A good deal of potential with these young men. To really distinguish betten recruiting class # 12 or so and # 30 is not something that can be done accurately at thios juncture. The bottom line is it is a good class (not one of the best... but good.

Again. NU fans should be pleased. Heck... FWIW... I am pleased and I am one of the toughest here in terms of assesment of the Huskers.

this doesnt have the look of a class that will "put us over the top" of course it is very tough to tell at this point. you cant fault people for being discouraged

Maybe not "over the top" by themselves but we've got a lot of good young guys already in Lincoln. If these guys can fill some spots and add a couple stars, we'll be in good shape.

You're still grounded, if that's what you mean. I haven't let you out of the doghouse after that Pringles can full of springy snakes. :angry:

You're still grounded, if that's what you mean. I haven't let you out of the doghouse after that Pringles can full of springy snakes. :angry:

At your age I thought you'd appreciate a classic like that....

this class isn't very good.

I hope you're not quitting your day job to become a talent analyst.

It seems that this would be the consensus view among any scouting service or respected recruiting followers, no?

I realize the important thing right now is to stay positive, especially after losing the 2nd ranked Tackle in the nation, but how are you going to savor this class at the moment?

You can say this class could end up being great, but without hindsight, this class does not stack up with the other school's classes.

Again, I realize you're trying to stay positive, so I wouldn't badger you about it.

We have a top 25 class. Out of 120 D1A schools, that is far from "average." Sure, other schools have better classes. What's different about that than the other 120-something years of Husker football? We've never won a championship with a #1 class.

You can't compare this class to all 120 schools (with Furman, Florida Atlantic, etc.). You have to compare it with its peers, which would be Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That's not even going out of conference.

I'm not saying we have to have 20 4/5 stars like Alabama, but this class.... is lacking relative to our peers', to say the least.

• Fire 3

You can't compare this class to all 120 schools (with Furman, Florida Atlantic, etc.). You have to compare it with its peers, which would be Ohio State, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That's not even going out of conference.

I'm not saying we have to have 20 4/5 stars like Alabama, but this class.... is lacking relative to our peers', to say the least.

Doesn't matter how you compare it. It's still not a bad class.

You can't simply focus on the stars we signed. The crucial thing is, did we fill needs? O Line was not a need in this class. LB was a need. QB was a need. CB was a need (and we're short there, although CJ making it to campus will help).

We never signed the top class in the Big 8, either. Seemed to do OK there. We signed a top class once, near as I can remember. Failed miserably with it, too.

• Fire 2

Rivals currently has us #3 in the B1G. No one below us has any five stars or more than four four-stars (we have six). Wisconsin is #7 (behind Purdue and Iowa). I'd say that is above average for our peers.

I was being hypothetical with a player being a QB but should be a DB. Yes, Fuller falls into that group but so does Moore. I'm not saying we recruit guys listed as ATH but we will look at a guy like for example Cooper who started out as a DB and we're moving to LB. That was a common practice in the 90's. Slower DBs became LB's. LB's RE, etc. That seems to be the plan we are working toward. We knew this year we had to have 4-5 OL (may include quality walk ons) and need 2 DT 3 LB's, 2RB, 2QB's and 2-3 DBs. This year we missed on the number of DB's we wanted. It was slightly less of a concern because we do have bodies there. We can move a current player but more likely will pick up a Juco or two next year to even out the classes. The idea is 1/3 should be for guys we need someone now, 1/3 for building depth with positions you take every year and 1/3 with guys who are good athletes that can either move or provide depth but would be an upgrade from your roster. DB would be an example of needing an upgrade. The numbers are off some because of the switch in offense and needing to switch the defense for B10 play but it sounds like thats what we want to work toward. Of course that 1/3 might shift slightly from year to year in any part depending on the number of kids we can take.

Thank you for shedding light on this, da skers.

• Mavric unlocked this topic