Notre Dame, Texas, Nebraska

Nexus

If all happens like you say, then I think Nebraska will be forced to join the Pac-10. While playing in the Pac-10 would suck considering the distances for travel, it would more than likely be a lot more beneficial for recruiting than joining the Big 10. Considering the team flew to Columbia, MO I'm not sure if travel for the team really matters a lot. There's less than 300 miles difference between Lincoln, NE to Happy Valley, PA than from Lincoln, NE to LA, CA.

I have some thoughts on this thread. I cannot imagine the Big 10 creating special provisions for ND and UT to join their conference. The established members would not compromise the integrity of the conference for preferential treatment. One of the keys to the Big 10’s success has been a unified front. Unlike the Big 12, the Big 10 has equal revenue sharing. That is one reason why Mizzou is a potential expansion candidate. Delaney is quoted as saying that a conference championship game was not driving expansion. He did not say that the Big 10 would not have a championship game. When the Big 10 expand$, it will add a conference champion$hip game. Currently, B10 schools do not play all other conference members. An expanded conference would further muddy the waters when determining a conference champion. My prediction, championship game will become a reality.

Texas will not depart the Big 12 without A&M. If you look back at expansion history, those two institutions are tied together. The politicians in Texas won’t permit UT to strand A&M. Besides, Dodds, UT AD, has gone on record about his desire to create a Longhorn TV network. They have the means to pull it off. They can make enough money on their own by tapping into the DFW(5), Houston(10), El Paso(98) , Austin(49) and San Antonio(37) markets. If they are successful in getting Directv and/or Dish to distribute their network, they now have a national reach. UT seems content in the B12. They can be one of the powerhouses in the conference while maintaining lower travel expenses for all sports than if they joined the B10.

Notre Dame is another story. Will they allow their other sports to suffer to preserve their football independence? If they decline the B10 and the Big East become defunct, where will they land? Would the remnants of the Big East and perhaps C-USA form another conference that would allow ND associate membership for their non-football programs? ND likes its independence because they perceive themselves as a national program. There is some truth to that, but unfortunately, the Irish have been bordering on irrelevant for quite some time. They had a brief flirtation with prominence under Weiss, but he could not sustain it. I have another theory why ND prefers independence. They do not think they could withstand the rigors of playing in the B10 week after week. They play Michigan, Purdue, Mich. St and USC annually, but they have replaced LSU, UCLA, Nebraska, Texas A&M and Tennessee with UNC, Duke and Syracuse.

I’m conflicted with the expansion talk. Growing up in Big 8 country, I became a Nebraska fan when I lived in Bellevue and graduate high school there. Now that I live in Texas, I enjoy seeing the Huskers play in Austin and Waco. I hope to make it to College Station this year. I’m for what’s in Nebraska’s best interest. Perhaps that means watching them on the Big 10 network since I have Directv. Go Big Red!!

For some reason I see ND joining the big east when this all said and done. Football wise they could prob come in and dominate, they could win the Big East every year or least be in contention that says alot for how terrible the Big East is.

I think the Big East is gonna say "you are either all in or all out."

I am hoping that Texas gets drawn to the SEC, that wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. I have no great love, or disdain for A&M, so if Texas takes them to the SEC, so be it. I think the Big Ten could have a successful expansion without Texas being part of it, and if they did it right, they don't even need Notre Dame. IMHO, Notre Dame is going to need the Big Ten more than the Big Ten needs Notre Dame. The Big East will not even compare in stature if that is where they choose to land, and I might even accuse them of trying to choose lessor competition, but I also can't figure out how they think they can make more money in the Big East than they can in the Big Ten, that kind of befuddles me, even with the TV markets that are supposedly on the east coast, I think the Big Ten would have more market share at the end of the day with having more and stronger competition.

I am totally against either Texas or Notre Dame getting any special considerations. This is the same crap we are putting up with in the Big 12 with Texas now, and it is getting old. They are not special...and should not be treated special. If I was any of the current Big Ten teams, I would tell Delaney that if they make special rules for these two teams they would not vote for the expansion. Period.

As far as Nebraska goes, if they get special rules, I would object, and I would think twice about heading to the Big Ten. Missouri is acting desperate, and I would bet they are in no matter what. They have no class, no standards to live by. We on the other hand, should have.

The thing that everyone here seems to be forgetting..And that the Athletic (department) people have been complaining about..Is that the decision making is pretty much out of their hands..They're being told what the presidents' decisions are AFTER the fact..They're not even discussing expansion in the BT meetings even though it's what's on all the coaches and AD's minds.

Sure..it's comfortable to assign "Honorable Characteristics" to these institutions of higher learning, but I'm sure the network(s) are promising much more $$$ if they can land ND and Texas with their nationwide TV audiences..and even Nebraska's (We may have a small population in state, but we're fiercely loyal even after we relocate and reproduce) I even have about a dozen co-workers that now watch us just so they can give me a hard time if we lose.

I would never put it past these bean counters (College Presidents) to give whatever it takes to pull in the schools they really want if it means more exposure and money in the long run.

The added bonuses to Academics alone would justify the means.

I just have a gut feeling Nebraska's going to be on the outside looking in when it's all said and done.

I don't see where this opinion comes from....because a team valued at $93 million by Forbes is going to be sitting around on its thumbs?? Being valued at that level has a lot to do with the quality of the organization itself. Which the Big 10 recognizes and consequently this organization should make certain to place itself in positive situations.

This is about money...especially the research money as knapp and others have continually said. Nobody wants to listen to that, but academics are important. I love football...but let's be honest it isn't the most important thing to these schools in the Big 10.

Sports are, however, the most important thing to Delany. You see, we all seem to think he cares about the academic grants, but he doesn't. He is in charge of the Big 10 ATHLETIC Conference. His interests are solely in sports, contrary to those of the presidents of the universities. He may have a rude awakening coming on voting time if he doesn't listen to them or keeps his eyes on the ego queens UT and ND.

Also, this rumor is ridiculous. Now Texas and Notre Dame can tell the NCAA, "screw your rules, we are playing 13?" I don't think so!

I am totally against either Texas or Notre Dame getting any special considerations. This is the same crap we are putting up with in the Big 12 with Texas now, and it is getting old. They are not special...and should not be treated special. If I was any of the current Big Ten teams, I would tell Delaney that if they make special rules for these two teams they would not vote for the expansion. Period.

As far as Nebraska goes, if they get special rules, I would object, and I would think twice about heading to the Big Ten. Missouri is acting desperate, and I would bet they are in no matter what. They have no class, no standards to live by. We on the other hand, should have.

The thing that everyone here seems to be forgetting..And that the Athletic (department) people have been complaining about..Is that the decision making is pretty much out of their hands..They're being told what the presidents' decisions are AFTER the fact..They're not even discussing expansion in the BT meetings even though it's what's on all the coaches and AD's minds.

Sure..it's comfortable to assign "Honorable Characteristics" to these institutions of higher learning, but I'm sure the network(s) are promising much more $$ if they can land ND and Texas with their nationwide TV audiences..and even Nebraska's (We may have a small population in state, but we're fiercely loyal even after we relocate and reproduce) I even have about a dozen co-workers that now watch us just so they can give me a hard time if we lose.

I would never put it past these bean counters (College Presidents) to give whatever it takes to pull in the schools they really want if it means more exposure and money in the long run.

I don't think this is exactly true, the teams in the Big Ten definitely have say in the matter, and each team has the power to decide whether it is in their best interest. It is not just up to the presidents. The presidents answer to the schools, and the schools can definitely nix the whole deal if it isn't in their interest.

Sure..it's comfortable to assign "Honorable Characteristics" to these institutions of higher learning, but I'm sure the network(s) are promising much more $$ if they can land ND and Texas with their nationwide TV audiences..and even Nebraska's (We may have a small population in state, but we're fiercely loyal even after we relocate and reproduce) I even have about a dozen co-workers that now watch us just so they can give me a hard time if we lose.

I don't think this is exactly true, the teams in the Big Ten definitely have say in the matter, and each team has the power to decide whether it is in their best interest. It is not just up to the presidents. The presidents answer to the schools, and the schools can definitely nix the whole deal if it isn't in their interest.

I'd imagine it would be much tougher to get rid of a college president than a coach or AD.

Each "school" gets a vote..cast by the Prez..Who maybe only gets heat from the regents if Academia sufers.

Yes the presidents are the ones that cast the vote and thus will keep academics in mind - and there are some institutions that the president does indeed have the most power. However there are schools where certain people on the athletic side have a LOT of say (Nebraska being one with TO). I think that there is a minimum academic level that you will need to meet in order to be considered but once you pass that point my guess is that Delaney is in the drivers seat this time. I would guess that Delaney was given a list of academic requirements that schools had to meet and the list of schools that would be politcially and academically viable by the presidents and as long as he sticks to that list and can show the monetary benefits that the individual presidents will OK his recommendations AS LONG AS their respective athletic departments are also OK with the deal.

You don't think that if TO went to the president and said yes the academics and money are a good thing but this is a raw deal athletically that the president wouldn't listen to him? I would guess that as long as the athletic department is smart enough to take the academic and money issues into account and still feel that it is a bad deal that many could convince their school president to vote against it.

eta: in response to the post right above - you are correct that the president MUST make sure that acadamia is improved but school donations are driven by athletics and if you cost the school millions of dollars by pissing everyone off because you allowed the conference to lose its equality mentality then you might quickly be looking for a new job.

no way texas goes. they are top dog in the big xii and don't want that to change. if worse comes to worst, they'll go independent in football and throw bball and baseball into whatever conference takes them. they'll soon have their own tv network, and could pull it off almost as well as ND has all these years

3) The NCAA only allows 12 regular season games per season. The exception is if one team is an FCS school, and it makes no sense that Texas would ask for a special clause to play a Div II school every year. That's not a fight worth fighting.

I'm not aware of this, and is there any possibility that the NCAA would allow 13 regular season games? I think in some instances they do.

Also, I was referring to A&M being another one of the teams that the Big 10 would be considering because of the package deal with UT. My point was that UT and A&M have a special relationship and are true rivals.

A team is allowed one extra home game if they play at Hawai'i. So in that instance 13 would be possible for a regular season.

Right, and Hawaii is neither FCS nor Div II (which are 2 different things).

If Texas and Notre Dame get sweetheart deals to join the Big 10 conference, Nebraska needs to avoid it like the plague. Simply on principle. I'm tired of seeing Texas get catered to in the Big 12, and likewise Notre Dame in the BCS. If Texas joins, Nebraska should stay in the Big 12, let TCU replace Texas, and lobby for realigning the conference so that we can get our rivalry with Oklahoma back.

If Texas and Notre Dame get sweetheart deals to join the Big 10 conference, Nebraska needs to avoid it like the plague. Simply on principle. I'm tired of seeing Texas get catered to in the Big 12, and likewise Notre Dame in the BCS. If Texas joins, Nebraska should stay in the Big 12, let TCU replace Texas, and lobby for realigning the conference so that we can get our rivalry with Oklahoma back.

I understand your reasoning, and while I might agree in principle, the reality is that should Texas leave, the Big 12 dies. They represent the single biggest TV market in the conference. There are only three national draws in the conference - Texas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska. Remove Texas, and it will be difficult to maintain any kind of TV contract that even comes near the dollars that the Big 10 or the SEC commands.

If there is even a hint that Texas is leaving, we need to move as well. And the Big 10 represents the best option for a number of reasons.