Nebraska & Mizzou have until Friday (6/11) to decide if they're in or out

Nexus

If there is in fact a time line, Nebraska stays, unless the B10 does something accelerated, which i doubt. Nebraska stays, we dominate next year...and texas wishes we went to the B10 and runs to the pac-10 with their tail between their legs

actually...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/big-ten-meets-will-likely-speed-up-timetable.html

belay my last then.

Seems the Big10 doesn't want to get upstaged them west coasties.

personally i hope the big12 stays put being that i'm located in kansas, and at least have an opportunity to see one husker game in manhattan or lawrence, shoot OU and OSU are about as close too.

But Michigan, and Ohio is where the extended family lives so it ain't looking to bad either way.

Here's that article:

Big Ten officials all but acknowledged Sunday that they intend to follow a turbo-charged timetable for expansion.

With possible expansion candidates Nebraska and Missouri facing an ultimatum from the Big 12, the Big Ten clearly is ready to stop dawdling and get down to business.

A longer way of saying that came from Michigan State President Lou Anna K. Simon: "Our announcement in December has caused institutions and conferences to consider their futures, and that has had an impact on our deliberations."

Big Ten presidents and chancellors met Sunday in Park Ridge for more than four hours, and at least half that time was spent discussing expansion.

Simon, who chairs the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors, said that no expansion votes were taken Sunday but that the league's 11 CEOs will not have to be present for a super majority (8 of 11) to approve inviting schools to apply for membership.

"My understanding of Big Ten bylaws," she said, "is that action can be done electronically, telephonically or in person."

Then she turned to commissioner Jim Delany, seated to her left, and added: "My lawyer has concurred."

It would surprise no one if Big Ten expansion is resolved in a matter of weeks, though Delany and Simon declined to discuss the specifics of the timing and which schools could be involved.

Some key remaining questions:

*Is Notre Dame still in the picture, and if the Irish (finally) say yes to the Big Ten, would that preclude the league from adding schools such as Nebraska, Missouri and Rutgers?

*What will Nebraska do? There's a strong belief that if Nebraska remains in the Big 12, Texas also will stay. If the Cornhuskers join the conference of Bo and Woody, Texas is more likely to head to the Pac-10 with five more schools (Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor) in its pick-up truck.

*If there's validity to the Austin American-Statesman report that Nebraska and Missouri have been given a deadline of June 11-June 15 to pledge their allegiance to the Big 12, will the Big Ten cooperate by extending application offers by then?

Delany said he could not comment on the Big 12 deadline report because he doesn't "have any knowledge" of it and that he had not spoken recently to Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe (CQ).

While maintaining that it's possible that the Big Ten will not expand, Delany said that if/when it targets schools, the final steps will be: "Pretty serious. And pretty quick."

A few other tidbits:

*Delany mentioned the seemingly oddball possibility that the league "could act and act again." Meaning that if one school is ready to commit now but another needs more time, the Big Ten could expand in phases.

*On the heels of the Columbus Dispatch's publishing email correspondences between Delany and Ohio State President Gordon Gee, Delany was asked whether he's cognizant of the contents of his electronic correspondences. "I am now," he replied. So look for Delany to gather votes by telephone.

*The $22 million figure bandied about to quantify the Big Ten's annual revenue distribution to each school is too high, according to league officials. A more accurate one is $20 million. The Southeastern Conference on Friday announced revenue distribution of $17.3 million per school, but that does not include local media packages. (Florida reportedly makes an extra $10 million from its local deal with Sun Sports.)

The Omaha World-Herald reported that Big 12 revenue figures from the 2006-07 fiscal year ranged from $7.1 million (Baylor) to $10.2 million (Texas).

*Simon insists that the media has under-emphasized the importance of academics in the Big Ten's deliberations: "I was kidding with colleagues: I have facetiously said that at the start of this process, if we had given fifth-graders the criteria, the list of institutions would be essentially the list that has been bandied about ... by you all. With much more sophisticated analysis of the sense of 'fit,' but academics has not been much of the conversation. This is more than teams playing teams."

So what is the Big Ten's analysis based on -- AAU (Association of American Universities) membership? APR numbers? US News & World Report rankings?

"Most of the people in the room were provosts before they were presidents," Simon said, "so it's a group that is perfectly capable of making very sophisticated judgments on academics. If anything, we obsess about that."

*Delany gladly acknowledged that he reads a packet of daily clips from newspapers and blogs obsessed with Big Ten expansion. "It's a story du jour with obviously lots of twists and turns," he said.

He later added that in the final analysis, the decisions by the Big Ten and possible expansion candidates will be "about fit. About destiny."

There is only ONE REASON this announcement came from the Big 10. That reason is that they want Nebraska, and quite likely Missouri as well, to join the conference. Without the "ultimatum" delivered by the stuffed suits in the Big 12, this turbocharged timeline doesn't happen.

Suck on that, Beebe.

If there is in fact a time line, Nebraska stays, unless the B10 does something accelerated, which i doubt. Nebraska stays, we dominate next year...and texas wishes we went to the B10 and runs to the pac-10 with their tail between their legs

actually...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/big-ten-meets-will-likely-speed-up-timetable.html

belay my last then.

personally i hope the big12 stays put being that i'm located in kansas, and at least have an opportunity to see one husker game in manhattan or lawrence, shoot OU and OSU are about as close too.

But Michigan, and Ohio is where the extended family lives so it ain't looking to bad either way.

If you're willing to travel to Norman or stillwater than why not Lincoln? You'll always have 7-8 home games a season you can attend.

Here's that article:

Big Ten officials all but acknowledged Sunday that they intend to follow a turbo-charged timetable for expansion.

With possible expansion candidates Nebraska and Missouri facing an ultimatum from the Big 12, the Big Ten clearly is ready to stop dawdling and get down to business.

A longer way of saying that came from Michigan State President Lou Anna K. Simon: "Our announcement in December has caused institutions and conferences to consider their futures, and that has had an impact on our deliberations."

Big Ten presidents and chancellors met Sunday in Park Ridge for more than four hours, and at least half that time was spent discussing expansion.

Simon, who chairs the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors, said that no expansion votes were taken Sunday but that the league's 11 CEOs will not have to be present for a super majority (8 of 11) to approve inviting schools to apply for membership.

"My understanding of Big Ten bylaws," she said, "is that action can be done electronically, telephonically or in person."

Then she turned to commissioner Jim Delany, seated to her left, and added: "My lawyer has concurred."

It would surprise no one if Big Ten expansion is resolved in a matter of weeks, though Delany and Simon declined to discuss the specifics of the timing and which schools could be involved.

Some key remaining questions:

*Is Notre Dame still in the picture, and if the Irish (finally) say yes to the Big Ten, would that preclude the league from adding schools such as Nebraska, Missouri and Rutgers?

*What will Nebraska do? There's a strong belief that if Nebraska remains in the Big 12, Texas also will stay. If the Cornhuskers join the conference of Bo and Woody, Texas is more likely to head to the Pac-10 with five more schools (Texas Tech, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and either Colorado or Baylor) in its pick-up truck.

*If there's validity to the Austin American-Statesman report that Nebraska and Missouri have been given a deadline of June 11-June 15 to pledge their allegiance to the Big 12, will the Big Ten cooperate by extending application offers by then?

Delany said he could not comment on the Big 12 deadline report because he doesn't "have any knowledge" of it and that he had not spoken recently to Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe (CQ).

While maintaining that it's possible that the Big Ten will not expand, Delany said that if/when it targets schools, the final steps will be: "Pretty serious. And pretty quick."

A few other tidbits:

*Delany mentioned the seemingly oddball possibility that the league "could act and act again." Meaning that if one school is ready to commit now but another needs more time, the Big Ten could expand in phases.

*On the heels of the Columbus Dispatch's publishing email correspondences between Delany and Ohio State President Gordon Gee, Delany was asked whether he's cognizant of the contents of his electronic correspondences. "I am now," he replied. So look for Delany to gather votes by telephone.

*The $22 million figure bandied about to quantify the Big Ten's annual revenue distribution to each school is too high, according to league officials. A more accurate one is $20 million. The Southeastern Conference on Friday announced revenue distribution of $17.3 million per school, but that does not include local media packages. (Florida reportedly makes an extra $10 million from its local deal with Sun Sports.)

The Omaha World-Herald reported that Big 12 revenue figures from the 2006-07 fiscal year ranged from $7.1 million (Baylor) to $10.2 million (Texas).

*Simon insists that the media has under-emphasized the importance of academics in the Big Ten's deliberations: "I was kidding with colleagues: I have facetiously said that at the start of this process, if we had given fifth-graders the criteria, the list of institutions would be essentially the list that has been bandied about ... by you all. With much more sophisticated analysis of the sense of 'fit,' but academics has not been much of the conversation. This is more than teams playing teams."

So what is the Big Ten's analysis based on -- AAU (Association of American Universities) membership? APR numbers? US News & World Report rankings?

"Most of the people in the room were provosts before they were presidents," Simon said, "so it's a group that is perfectly capable of making very sophisticated judgments on academics. If anything, we obsess about that."

*Delany gladly acknowledged that he reads a packet of daily clips from newspapers and blogs obsessed with Big Ten expansion. "It's a story du jour with obviously lots of twists and turns," he said.

He later added that in the final analysis, the decisions by the Big Ten and possible expansion candidates will be "about fit. About destiny."

There is only ONE REASON this announcement came from the Big 10. That reason is that they want Nebraska, and quite likely Missouri as well, to join the conference. Without the "ultimatum" delivered by the stuffed suits in the Big 12, this turbocharged timeline doesn't happen.

Suck on that, Beebe.

That's my interpretation as well. The infamous orangebloods article that dropped the pac-10 bomb also had a snippet that said "The Tigers already have one foot in the Big Ten. But Nebraska has no assurance it will be invited to the Big Ten and could be left completely out of the power conference structure if it's not careful." Now, I'm not sure how he can so confidently state that the Tigers are a B10 definite, but I do think that he's correct that Mizzou does have slightly better traction with the B10. But all in all, i think that before the end of the summer both of our institutions will be members of the Big 16.

actually...

belay my last then.

If you're willing to travel to Norman or stillwater than why not Lincoln? You'll always have 7-8 home games a season you can attend.

namely my connections in those four cities. lincoln is 5 hours. most of my friends are fans of those four schools. making it easier to get tickets.

believe me, i'll go to lincoln if that is where i have to go.

Nebraska and Missouri have been given an ultimatum by the Big 12 and told they have until this Friday to decide if they want to remain in the conference or entertain the possibility of joining the Big Ten, two highly placed officials of two Big 12 schools have told the Statesman. The deadline was given to the pair of schools by the Big 12 presidents during the league meetings held in Kansas City this last week. “Nebraska has until 5 p.m. on Friday to tell us what they’re going to do,” one school official said, adding that he has heard it is a possibility they could extend that deadline to June 15. “The same deal for Missouri. They have to tell us they’re not going to the Big Ten or …” Or at least six Big 12 schools, including Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech, will be inclined to accept an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference. Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado are the other three schools that could bolt what would be a dissolving Big 12. Nebraska and Missouri could be taking the risk that they might not be extended invitations from the Big Ten, which has said it could take up to 18 months to decide whether to expand its current membership of 11 schools. “I’ve talked to the Pac-10,” said the Big 12 school administrator, who expected the speculation involving the Big 12 to be resolved within two weeks. “There is an invitation. When it comes, it’ll come fast.” One Pac-10 athletic director told the Statesman on Saturday, “There’s still a lot that has to happen. It’s nowhere near done. At this point, we have not been presented any definite plans. Said another political figure heavily connected to Texas, “I know the war drums are beating. This is way beyond gossip.”

LINK

Screw Texas and the dying Big 12. We are gonna earn WAY more in the Big Ten. Over 22 million yearly and that will probably increase some when we become a superconference which should pull in Notre Dame. We are gonna storm the Big Ten and Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State will have a new bad boy to deal with. Iowa will be our bit**. The Big Ten says they will speed up their process now, so it is time for offers for us, Notre Dame and Missouri to seal this and set up the superconference era. We may have 2 by the end of next week and 3 shortly after. Go BIG RED!

Suck on that, Beebe.

man, if this shakes out like i think it will, there is gonna be some *NASTY* grudge football happening this season in the big xii.

Listen up lil' Huskers, you have until Friday. In pimp language, Texas is basically saying, "on Fri you better have my money or we will make you stick yourself." Nobody holds Texas hostage.

Personally, I hope you guys leave. It's getting boring beating yall all the time. Plus the occasional roady to the Bay Area, LA, Tempe, and Seattle sure beats the heck out of going to any of the Big 8 er Big 12 North depression zones pretending to be cities.

Texas will win either way.

Steff

Goodbye.

blood and bloody ashes if ar is that quick on the banhammer then i've gotten lucky.

if the ultimatum will cause higher back out price, then why doesn't everone have to sign it if eveyone has a deal to leave the conference except kansas, ksu, and isu...i just can't figure out why texas big 12 would do that...

:sarcasm

As far as im concerned the Big 10 hasnt even sent invites to Mizzou and Nebraska. I dont understand why the Big 12 doesnt gives this so called ultimatum to the other 11 schools. This puts NU and MU in a tough spot(if this is true). If NU and MU say their sticking with the big 12 then South division teams bolt for the Pac 16, then both schools are screwed. I think Beebe can take 5pm deadline and shove it you know where.

I guess I see it playing out like this.

NU and MU go the Big 10 with 2 other schools (ND,Rutgers,Pitt,Syracuse)

The big 12 south heads to the Pac 10.

The rest of Big 12 heads to MWC, along with Boise State (I believe the got an invite for 2011) then the MWC becomes a BCS school be default now because of the demise of the Big 12. Then I guess everybody will be happy in the end because Boise is now BCS school.

Quality post on the tigerboard about the ultimatum:

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=7622992

here's what we tell the conference on Friday at 5:01 p.m.- Tiger'89

We are currently members of the big 12 and have a contract that binds us to whatever extent it is enforceable and has not previously been breached by the league. We cannot and will not forgo consideration of any future opportunities deemed to be in the best interest of OUR University and we will do so as we deem fit.

Oh yeah and KISS MY ASS!

http://www.tigerboard.com/boards/missouri-tigers.php?message=7622992

We are currently members of the big 12 and have a contract that binds us to whatever extent it is enforceable and has not previously been breached by the league. We cannot and will not forgo consideration of any future opportunities deemed to be in the best interest of OUR University and we will do so as we deem fit.

Oh yeah and KISS MY ASS!

It may be a great post but that board format is still unbearable...

http://www.tigerboar...message=7622992

Oh yeah and KISS MY ASS!

It may be a great post but that board format is still unbearable...

My thoughts exactly. It's almost like Missouri is stuck in 1997.

there is no way that stanford votes for tech, okie state, and oklahoma.

now the texas legislature is saying that baylor has to go....man they

get rumors to move fast down there.

today should be an interesting day.

It made tonight's local (AZ) Sports news..Bickley was saying the Pac 10 presidents gave the green light to invite Texas, ATM, TECH, OU, OSU, and either Colorado or Baylor to the Pac..The local sportscasters are already fearing how much tougher it will be for ASU and UA to win in the new (much tougher) super conference.

If it were me, I'd pretend to lose it (ultimatum) among all the junk mail (like I do with violation notices from my HOA, or phone calls from DishNetwork wanting me to sign some sort of extension).

But it would be fun to make out a little card requesting the B-12 to fill out the card.

( ) Buzz off!

( ) will respond shortly after you renegotiate the TV contract!

( ) How did you get our address?

( ) Go pound sand up your a55 and play in traffic!

The word I hear is that Texas has also been given a deadline to decide whether they are sticking with the Big 12, or going to the Pac 10, SEC, or Big 10. The only thing is, whenever the deadline comes, Beebe puts another day back on the clock for them.

The ultimatum is ridiculous. It's like your boss finding out you've interviewed at another job, one you haven't even gotten an offer for yet (if at all), and he gives you a deadline whether to stay at your job or not. Anyone with sense will stay at their current job until they have another one, and the first good offer you get you bolt to get out from under that moron.

What exactly is the ultimatum? If we don't swear our loyalty, the Texas 6 will go to the Pac 10? "Stop, or I'll shoot myself!" Is there any ramification at all with telling them on Friday that we are still part of the Big 12, and if things work out with the Big 10 a week later, saying goodbye?

Just to clarify, a lot of people have suggested that Nebraska should just tell Beebe that they are committed to the Big 12, but then just leave whenever an actual better offer from the Big 10 comes along. Beebe has said that he would require a signed legal document from the schools in question that would legally bind them to the Big 12. So it's not realistic to think Nebraska could just tell Beebe they're committed with their fingers crossed behind their back.

Of course, the problem with Beebe requiring Nebraska and Mizzou to sign a legally binding document promising not to leave the Big 12 is that the Huskers and Tigers would then be putting themselves in a VERY precarious spot sitting on the sidelines hoping that the Big 12 South doesn't bolt for the Pac-10. Unless, of course, the document is written in such a way that would allow NU and MU to leave if Texas left, or 2 or more schools left, or something to that effect.

But I agree with those on here who have said that singling Nebraska and Mizzou out in this ultimatum is just another example of the Big 12 treating Nebraska and the rest of the North unfairly by trying to set it up to look like it was Nebraska and Mizzou that caused the demise of the Big 12. If I was TO and Perlman, I would be honored that Beebe gave me the shotgun to put down this lame horse.