Cody Green Never Will Start?

The QB race will be more than interesting in 2011, but to come to such a drastic conclusion based off the performance of a true freshman playing behind a shallow, injured line isn't worth the parcel of cyberspace it takes up.

Maybe I wrong or something. I wasnt hearing the batter/injured Oline excuse while Lee was stinking it up. I kept hearing, "Green, Green, Green."

Funny how that works.

First, whoopie ding. And second, it wasn't until after the season was over that casual fans realized that the team was having trouble fielding a full practice squad and that our only upperclassman QB had a torn tendon in his throwing arm.

Shhhhhhh. You guys hear that? It's the sound of crickets from all the "Cody Green is the best QB in the world" people. They are now waiting for Lee to struggle so they can start chanting "Taylor Martinez is the best QB in the world". Whomever the back up QB is at Nebraska is always the next coming of Frazier, Gill, Crouch, etc.

That said, Green has a long, LONG way to go before I'll be comfortable with him as the starting QB. Having another year in the system should do wonders and am not ready to write the guy off after 2 starts in his true freshman year.

Nailed it!!! Everyone knows that the most popular player on any team is the backup at whatever position is struggling!!

I don't really like it when guys mention Carnes, Turner, and Starling as an argument why Green might not start. Just because we have seen nothing but high school film and most people thought the same about Green from his high school film. As we have seen from the coaches...they value experience, game management, and playbook knowledge right? So he could start at some point, but this year it is Lee's job to lose. And then next year will tell us if he will ever start a game again.

I just don't want to get too hyped up about the newcomers. The potential there is great, but I just can't see a freshman coming in and running this offense.

I honestly Green will transfer after the spring this next year. Unless Green makes some marked improvement going into this fall, he will get left behind, IMO. Martinez seems to have a pretty good grasp of this offense and looks to prob see playing time before Green (wildcat or not). Guess we will know in the first game when we sub down, on who really is #2.

I can see that happening too. Especially if he isn't improving at the rate he should be. Martinez impressed me during the spring game, so the competition between Martinez and Green will tell us if Green will ever get to start again. I just don't know if any of the new guys coming will beat out Green in 2011...2012 could be a different story.

The QB race will be more than interesting in 2011, but to come to such a drastic conclusion based off the performance of a true freshman playing behind a shallow, injured line isn't worth the parcel of cyberspace it takes up.

Maybe I wrong or something. I wasnt hearing the batter/injured Oline excuse while Lee was stinking it up. I kept hearing, "Green, Green, Green."

Funny how that works.

First, whoopie ding. And second, it wasn't until after the season was over that casual fans realized that the team was having trouble fielding a full practice squad and that our only upperclassman QB had a torn tendon in his throwing arm.

Im not disagreeing with you. I was just saying while Lee struggled, everybody wanted Green, then when Green came in, he struggled. Then the Oline being injured and stuff starting becoming reasons. Virtually taking the blame off of QB or any other skill positions play.

Im not saying that stuff was discussed on here. as i was on another site before i joined here.

Funny how that works.

Im not disagreeing with you. I was just saying while Lee struggled, everybody wanted Green, then when Green came in, he struggled. Then the Oline being injured and stuff starting becoming reasons. Virtually taking the blame off of QB or any other skill positions play.

Im not saying that stuff was discussed on here. as i was on another site before i joined here.

Oh it was discussed, my friend. At length....

Endlessly....

All day...

Every day...

The problem is every discussion that took place was done without all of the facts and factors. The point though is that this article is nothing but wild speculation. Green hasn't played his best football yet, so people would be wise to hold off carving his name in the bench just yet.

Yeah Cody was a true freshman. Of course he looked raw. He came in against Tech when they knew we were going to be one dimensional trying to play catch-up. He plays Baylor on the ROAD (and I think Watson pulled in the reigns in the second half...or maybe Bo did) and then started a night game against OU. Tough for a true freshman. I don't see how he is expected to have command over the team.

Yeah Cody was a true freshman. Of course he looked raw. He came in against Tech when they knew we were going to be one dimensional trying to play catch-up. He plays Baylor on the ROAD (and I think Watson pulled in the reigns in the second half...or maybe Bo did) and then started a night game against OU. Tough for a true freshman. I don't see how he is expected to have command over the team.

a very potent oklahoma game...we had a lot riding on the season at that point...we could only afford to lose maybe once and still make the big 12 title...plus oklahoma is a very good team no matter who their quarterback is...plus our offensive gameplan that night was to run on first and second down and try to get it all on third with one pass or just punt...

Quick lesson, folks:

A blogger is any schmoe, like you and me, with a keyboard and an internet connection. That's all it takes to blog. Coincidentally, that's all it takes to post messages here on HuskerBoard, or on ESPN's stories, or on Sportsline's stories, or any other forum or blog or comments section. "Bloggers" are often no more informed than you or I, and frankly, there are about a dozen guys here I could think of who are far more informed than most bloggers out there. Having a blog doesn't make you an expert, it makes you a blogger. Kind of like having a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.

A writer, in the traditional sense of the word especially as it pertains to this subject, typically means someone who has their J-school degree, has spent some time honing his writing craft, and has some insight that the regular schmegular guys like you and I and the bloggers don't have, largely due to a magical talisman called a Press Pass. This Press Pass, acquired after many adventures and daring feats, gives the writer greater access to the players, coaches and facilities than you or I or the blogger has. It also means he has an editor and typically a fact-checker (although in small shops the editors and fact-checkers are one and the same), and it also means that the writer has journalistic standards and usually something called "integrity" that a blogger has no requirement to possess*. Because of these things, they often don't write like total ass, and their stories often have direction, purpose, and are typically based on facts, something this blog doesn't have and on which it is not based.

* - note: concepts like journalistic standards and integrity typically do not apply to "journalists" from Texas, Missouri and/or ESPN.

Excellent points all. "Bloggers are often no more informed than you or I". Sometimes less informed. And it seems like bloggers often have a burr under their saddle for some player or coach.

a very potent oklahoma game...we had a lot riding on the season at that point...we could only afford to lose maybe once and still make the big 12 title...plus oklahoma is a very good team no matter who their quarterback is...plus our offensive gameplan that night was to run on first and second down and try to get it all on third with one pass or just punt...

Exactly. Quite a few folks forget the situation we were in when we called on Cody Green to run our rag tag offense. It’s not like the guy had the luxury of two or three seasons of experience under his belt. And we don’t really have anyone in Husker history to compare him with (except maybe Tommy). Cody Green came into a tough situation——especially when you consider the teams he faced and the O-line he had in front of him. How many true frosh QBs have performed better at NU? Have we ever thrust a true frosh QB into a similar situation before?

Cody Green has a HUGE amount of raw talent. Maybe the most of any QB on the roster when you consider his arm, his size, and his mobility. But it takes even the most talented recruits a couple of years in the system to develop into top notch division I QBs. Have patience my friends.

Quick lesson, folks:

A blogger is any schmoe, like you and me, with a keyboard and an internet connection. That's all it takes to blog. Coincidentally, that's all it takes to post messages here on HuskerBoard, or on ESPN's stories, or on Sportsline's stories, or any other forum or blog or comments section. "Bloggers" are often no more informed than you or I, and frankly, there are about a dozen guys here I could think of who are far more informed than most bloggers out there. Having a blog doesn't make you an expert, it makes you a blogger. Kind of like having a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter.

A writer, in the traditional sense of the word especially as it pertains to this subject, typically means someone who has their J-school degree, has spent some time honing his writing craft, and has some insight that the regular schmegular guys like you and I and the bloggers don't have, largely due to a magical talisman called a Press Pass. This Press Pass, acquired after many adventures and daring feats, gives the writer greater access to the players, coaches and facilities than you or I or the blogger has. It also means he has an editor and typically a fact-checker (although in small shops the editors and fact-checkers are one and the same), and it also means that the writer has journalistic standards and usually something called "integrity" that a blogger has no requirement to possess*. Because of these things, they often don't write like total ass, and their stories often have direction, purpose, and are typically based on facts, something this blog doesn't have and on which it is not based.

* - note: concepts like journalistic standards and integrity typically do not apply to "journalists" from Texas, Missouri and/or ESPN.

Good post, knapplc.

That's the interesting thing about citizen "bloggers". They don't want the the word journalist attached to their name, because that means they have a certain code of ethics they have to uphold. A blogger doesn't have to commit himself to anything like that.

Green was a TRUE FRESHMAN last year, of course he wasnt ready to play. He will be vastly improved this year if not just knowing the mechanics of the playbook. I think in the first few games we may see some split time between Green and Lee and by the time the regular season starts we will know who the starter is. I think too many people are getting on Green's case, we have to realize he was a TRUE FRESHMAN. Not many guys can come in and start as a freshman. This guy isnt the second coming of Tommie Frazier, so why is everyone expecting him to play like it?

• Fire 2

I happen to agree with him even though Green has already started. (So I guess I'd say "Cody Green will never start again.") I could very well be wrong and in fact, hope that I am wrong but until I see some improvement in his passing game I don't think it will happen.

Green made some very poor decisions with the ball, which can be somewhat excused by his inexperience. However, Green showed an almost complete lack of touch with the ball. The old comparison to lawn darts looks particularly appropriate. I don't think I've ever seen someone look that raw and become a serviceable/polished passer.

I don't really like it when guys mention Carnes, Turner, and Starling as an argument why Green might not start. Just because we have seen nothing but high school film and most people thought the same about Green from his high school film. As we have seen from the coaches...they value experience, game management, and playbook knowledge right? So he could start at some point, but this year it is Lee's job to lose. And then next year will tell us if he will ever start a game again.

I just don't want to get too hyped up about the newcomers. The potential there is great, but I just can't see a freshman coming in and running this offense.

[/quote/]

Enough said right there, EXPERIENCE is the key in college football, statistical anaysis will show that a team with a Jr. Sr. QB will a majority of the time have a better chance of winning the national title. And that is that, we go Lee, then Green for two years, then whoever for 3 years.