Chase Rome

Vuren

I hope he is a redshift and cannot compete for a starting DT as a true freshman. I say that because it would signal a huge drop-off in our defense.

Or he really is that good of a player. I see it only as a positive if he plays early.

The staff is going to evaluate everyone and put the best players on the field. If thats a freshman, then so be it. It only strengthens the argument that Bo has no favoritism, and by busting your @ss and being the best, you will see the field. Lets recruits see this too.

I hope you are right and I want the best player on the field obviosly. However replacing suh with a frosh would say more in my mind about the lack of talent there than that of the newcomer who surely has a huge upside. Seldom is a frosh DT ready to start on a top defensive line. Maybe this time it's different. I hope it is.

Unless that frosh eats babies for breakfast and O-lines for brunch like this kid.

The better player will start, that's the way the Pelini's work.

In Bo we trust.

Um what if he's better than Moore and Randle?

If that were true we would be in trouble because an 18 year old kid walks onto our field and is instantly the 2-3 best DT we have. He is probably fifth at the moment. But he has shown some promise. Keep his shirt.

There are a ton of 18 year old kids that walk into fall camp every year and are better than a lot of the guys in front of them. I don't think anyone would say we are in trouble if Green came in and split time with the ones, same for T. Moore. I personally think this guy's a beast and wanted him almost as bad as anyone else in last years class.

IF Bo thinks he is in the mix, he needs to be there. Playing freshmen has draw backs no question, but it also has recruiting plus factor that needs to be considered.

The best shall play, I hope we keep that idea. It stresses competition. Other programs play freshman, no reason we shouldn't if the kid is good enough.

The earlier he plays the more experience he has when Crick leaves early(Bite my tongue).

I hope he is a redshift and cannot compete for a starting DT as a true freshman. I say that because it would signal a huge drop-off in our defense.

Yea, I guess Da'Quan Bowers wasn't very good as a true freshman over at Clemson.

Play the freshman if they are ready. Gives them more GAME experience which helps out better than a stupid redshirt.

However I think redshirts are good, but I really am unsure about T-Moore and T-Randle. I wouldn't put my eggs in those baskets.

Ahman Green played significantly as a true freshman and we had Lawrence Phillips at the time. Playing true Freshmen doesn't necessarily mean you have "problems," especially in a position like DT that requires a lot of depth due to the constant pounding involved.

yea it helps when Phillips was didn't play most of the season.

Carl cautioned today that while Chase is doing a great job, he is still behind Moore, Stein, Crick and Randle.

AKA, buried in the depth chart.

I see no reason to burn his redshirt unless one or two go down with injury or Stein/Randle/Moore aren't panning out. Injuries are always a possibility, but based on what I have heard in practice reports/other sources, I see no reason why Stein/Randle/Moore wouldn't pan out in actual games.

If that were true we would be in trouble because an 18 year old kid walks onto our field and is instantly the 2-3 best DT we have. He is probably fifth at the moment. But he has shown some promise. Keep his shirt.

I'm in your camp. While there are positions a true freshman can come in and play right away, I don't see either the OL or the DL as being one of them. First of all, most 18 year old kids playing on the line don't have the size or the strength yet to compete on a D1 level. Considering that we really don't have a senior loaded DL this year, I think it would be prudent to keep his shirt unless he's just simply hell bent on playing this year.

I'm in your camp. While there are positions a true freshman can come in and play right away, I don't see either the OL or the DL as being one of them. First of all, most 18 year old kids playing on the line don't have the size or the strength yet to compete on a D1 level. Considering that we really don't have a senior loaded DL this year, I think it would be prudent to keep his shirt unless he's just simply hell bent on playing this year.

I think I read some where that his dad trains MMA fighters and has a gym. If that is the case then I think he is one tough kid at 18 and 280 to 290 lbs. Roger Huerta is a pro MMA fighter and took down a longhorn that outweighed him by 120 lbs. I think Roger was 155 to 165 lbs and had no problem with a 260 lbs ex longhorn. Roger H. is a pro but I think the whole MMA fighter gives Chase Rome and edge if he was trained by his dad too. I think Chase will be tough enough to handle D1 football as a freshman.

Ahman Green played significantly as a true freshman and we had Lawrence Phillips at the time. Playing true Freshmen doesn't necessarily mean you have "problems," especially in a position like DT that requires a lot of depth due to the constant pounding involved.

yea it helps when Phillips was didn't play most of the season.

Except that Ahman was playing before Phillips went off the reservation. He scored twice in our first two games, both of which Phillips played in. Just like DT, RB is a position where having many guys ready to play is at a premium, and true Freshmen playing doesn't necessarily mean you have no talent on the depth chart.