QB Race

Not to spoil the surprise or anything, but the most likely outcome of this QB race is Lee starting (Experience being the key here), with Martinez close behind getting some good snaps in every game.

I'll lol if Green is #3 after all the hype surrounding him last year

Remember kids, the best player on the team is always the backup QB

I'm not a fan of QB battles going into the season, but if something isn't clarified this week, I would not be the least bit surprised if the final decision isn't made until after the Washington game. Competition is a great philosophy to build your program on, but QB is a very unique position in the game. Personally I'd like to see this thing settled by WKU. Not looking good right now.

I see Lee as the starter and us giving Martinez some snaps in specialty situations. I think we are good enough to win with just someone who can be a game manager and keep the defense honest. T-Mart and Green are still young so I think if they started we would see more INT's, a lower completion %, and someone who can't run the offense as well. Experience often times beats talent.

I see Lee as the starter and us giving Martinez some snaps in specialty situations. I think we are good enough to win with just someone who can be a game manager and keep the defense honest. T-Mart and Green are still young so I think if they started we would see more INT's, a lower completion %, and someone who can't run the offense as well. Experience often times beats talent.

The problem with that is Lee is only "experienced" at going 3 & out when playing anybody better than SunBelt teams.

I was corrected by posters stating he was injured after his "2nd" game. Ok, so his 3rd game we played VT and he has a horrible game going 11-30 for 136 yds, 0 Tds and two ints. Ugh....

However, his fourth game he had an excellent performance vs La-lafayette (15-18 238 yds, a TD and no int).

Then we're into BigXII and....well, we all know how that went. So the only evidence we really have of the guy is that even after his injury he looks great throwing the ball vs creampuffs but blew chunks vs BCS teams.

Now of course Knapplc is right that we can reasonably expect improvement from Lee due to him starting another year. My point is that unless that improvement is HUGE we quite possibly can't expect much from him when we're playing the big boys.

Give me a qb who has an upside over that any day of the week. Results beats experience.

The problem with that is Lee is only "experienced" at going 3 & out when playing anybody better than SunBelt teams.

I was corrected by posters stating he was injured after his "2nd" game. Ok, so his 3rd game we played VT and he has a horrible game going 11-30 for 136 yds, 0 Tds and two ints. Ugh....

However, his fourth game he had an excellent performance vs La-lafayette (15-18 238 yds, a TD and no int).

Then we're into BigXII and....well, we all know how that went. So the only evidence we really have of the guy is that even after his injury he looks great throwing the ball vs creampuffs but blew chunks vs BCS teams.

Now of course Knapplc is right that we can reasonably expect improvement from Lee due to him starting another year. My point is that unless that improvement is HUGE we quite possibly can't expect much from him when we're playing the big boys.

Give me a qb who has an upside over that any day of the week.

I'm not excited about Lee being the starter but I think he's the best we have and that he can win games. Last year Green couldn't beat out an injured Lee so I have my doubts of him being better then Lee and I really like T-Mart but he has yet to take a snap in a game and I just think he will have a lot of growing pains this season. That's not to say I'm opposed to T-Mart or Green being the starter I just don't see them beating out and being better than Lee.

Remember the lesson of DeJon Gomes. Gomes didn't start until after the Missouri game, but he became one of our better defenders as the season went on. Maybe our QB isn't Lee, maybe he's just starting until someone takes his place. Maybe it's TMart, maybe Green comes on strong, maybe LaTravis Washington is the secret weapon that the coaches aren't even talking about. You just never, ever know.

Did some hunting and gathering and here is what I found:

Martinez did in fact quit on his team that Friday he missed practice. That is where the UCLA rumors began. He has since then come on strong and had a terrific week. Cody Green has had an excellent camp as well. Zac Lee has done everything that the coaches have asked him to do and has had a great camp.

What I would say is that nothing has really changed. Except the race has become tighter.

I highly... highly doubt this. If Taylor had quit , he would have been shown the door.

Just like Collins Okafor right?

Just like Chris Williams, Jon Levorson, and Mason Wald, right?

Without knowing the particulars of a situation, it's hard to say why it would be unlikely. I don't doubt that plenty of guys in the program have questioned their commitment or thought about quitting or leaving at one point. Even Suh did. And Okafor, didn't he quit and then return? I don't think Bo will take this hard line with kids who have been in the program. He'll give them chances.

This is what a Rivals insider mentioned, so I think it actually is more likely to be correct than not. I take their opinions and projections with a grain of salt, but on the facts, they probably have the right info more often than not.

Rivals insiders have been known to be as correct as many of the posters here, so that doesn't give me much hope that this is true. You've got a good point about Okafor, though. That puts a hole in my logic, doesn't it?

Bingo. The "Rivals" insiders are responsible for so many bogus rumors over the last couple of years, it's pathetic. The real doozie was the Carl Pelini one. Once that happened, I wrote them off. That place is filled with a bunch of pretentious a-holes.

Remember the lesson of DeJon Gomes. Gomes didn't start until after the Missouri game, but he became one of our better defenders as the season went on. Maybe our QB isn't Lee, maybe he's just starting until someone takes his place. Maybe it's TMart, maybe Green comes on strong, maybe LaTravis Washington is the secret weapon that the coaches aren't even talking about. You just never, ever know.

Who knows? Oh boy, that's the truth.

I have very little real info about what qb "really" has an upside vs quality opponents. It's just that relative to what I saw last year it's very close to a no lose scenario with somebody else imo.

No doubt that TMart would make horrible freshmen mistakes. I agree with everybody about that. But he very well may make some great plays for us that Lee could never, never make. Just think how much better he could be by Dec/Jan? Also, we would then have an experienced and talented qb for the next three years available. Even better, if someone beats him out we must have some packed dynamite loaded and ready to go.

It's not an easy call. But imo at some point we have to get real-deal talent on the field at that position.

:boxosoap

haha... :koolaid2:

Give me a qb who has an upside over that any day of the week. Results beats experience.

I think all anyone has been asking you for this whole time is, who is that QB, and on what do you base that "upside?"

I would say any of the QB's might have a better upside then the one that struggles to score one td a game, or is that the high water mark for this offense? What are you afraid of that they might score more then one td? <_<

I think all anyone has been asking you for this whole time is, who is that QB, and on what do you base that "upside?"

I would say any of the QB's might have a better upside then the one that struggles to score one td a game, or is that the high water mark for this offense? What are you afraid of that they might score more then one td? <_<

You willing to risk a possible MNC season on that little caveat????

I, for one, am not. Experience (when you have a dominant defense) beats potential.

I found Steve Sipple's article on "Game manager or game changer?" to be very intriguing. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/24/football/doc4c7337afcf40f860118970.txt

It really throws into question which kind of QB do we need this year, a game manager (Zac Lee) or a game changer (Cody Green or Taylor Martinez). My pick is a game manager. My reason for that is, i don't really rely on a fresh playermaker to control my offense unless I am in a bind or my game manager isn't managing things very well on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see a reason this year to call upon a young game changer if a veteran game manager can win the game.

I wonder what your choice would be if the game changer name was Ganz? For good or Ill he was not a game manager.

The fact is that we know Lee's basement. We have no idea what TMart's or Green's basement is. What if these guys come in with their zero game experience and score one field goal per game? You have no idea that they'll be better than a second-year starter. You're willing to risk an entire season's worth of 2009 ISU games because Lee had one.

"Might" might be worse.