QB Race

Thoughts I have to contribute.

#1 - I think Lee will start game one. He will have the chance to solidify that in the first three games if he struggles a lot and we lose to UW, we may see a change in starter.

#2 - While Lee is a servicable runner (as evidenced by the AZ game), he is always at risk of getting hurt when he does. Once they used live tackling in practice before the bowls, he ran with more authority and made decent decisions doing it, but he always runs "straight up" until the moment of impact, and always gets laid out because of it. He's a tough kid and bounces right back up, but being tough doesn't prevent injuries. He worries me in that regard. He needs to learn to be tackled safely.

#1 - I think Lee will start game one. He will have the chance to solidify that in the first three games if he struggles a lot and we lose to UW, we may see a change in starter.

#2 - While Lee is a servicable runner (as evidenced by the AZ game), he is always at risk of getting hurt when he does. Once they used live tackling in practice before the bowls, he ran with more authority and made decent decisions doing it, but he always runs "straight up" until the moment of impact, and always gets laid out because of it. He's a tough kid and bounces right back up, but being tough doesn't prevent injuries. He worries me in that regard. He needs to learn to be tackled safely.

Agreed. I think Lee will be named the starter, but we are going to see alot of QB shuffling. I bet the coaches will try to prevent Lee from doing much running unless it is on rollouts or busted plays. I see Tmart, Rex, Green being called into doing the Wildcat or other option type plays but we will see these guys throwing from these situations as well because we dont want to telegraph what we are doing.

Reminds me of Zac Taylor in that regard. Dude would go balls to the wall, but just didn't have that natural running ability and got pasted a couple times.

Newsflash folks: Zac Lee seriously sucked at times last year! Sorry but I don't think it's that crazy for people to have doubts about his ability to lead this team after watching the snooze fest that was the NU offense in 2010.

I like this and I agree with it! Good points! Except I disagree with the statement "sucked at times" He sucked MOST OF THE TIME last year.

In reality there is a fair possibility that Martinez starts. Bo Pelini is what we might call "eccentric" and "Unpredictable" So the possibility is absolutely there!

:facepalm:

Yes, we should still have doubts about Zac Lee, because we have not seen him at full strength in a game situation; it would not be out of the question to say that we may see a different starter this year. But to say that he "sucked last year" is completely unfair to Zac as he strapped it on last year for us and was a trooper. He played hurt and we should all tip our hats to him. If a running back tore his ACL would you expect him to rush for 1,000 yards? No. So I think that we are being unrealistic in thinking that Zac Lee would be all-world with an injury in the nature that he did. I am far from a Lee lover.

Be that as it may. He has a lot to prove. He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury. If he proves he is the starter, more power to him.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

"He was injured and it certainly affected the way he played. Still, he played poorly most of the season with that injury."

How stupid of a statement is that? You basically said "Sure, he was limited in what he could do because he was hurt, but he still sucked!" Of course he did. After we all learned of the injury it explained a lot. You could not have possibly expected him to be an All-American could you?

I am not talking to you but just in general to the board. I read awhile ago that SW actually tailored the offense and the routes the WRs ran on particular plays because of the injury to Zac Lee because he flat out could not make some of the more routine throws. Could that have been why our timing as an offense was off? If you change the offense a bit your QB isn't going to know it as well as he did before it was changed. Could that be why Zac starred down WRs at times last year? Because he didn't know the offense as well at that point?

Easy EZ-E.

He's not stupid at all. Like many he saw last year that Lee in "any" scenario running the ball was a complete disaster. You can throw 10,000 excuses out for him (like you always do) but to any objective viewer Lee is as elusive running the ball as a Pet Rock. The guy simply has no business running the ball in Div1 cfb.

So, that leaves his passing ability which after playing the SunBelt teams blew chunks in a big, big way. Of course, you blame that all on his injury. Funny how his injury only happened after we quit playing high school teams, huh? And that his best game after his injury (which isn't saying much) was the Holiday bowl that should have been his worst game due to the injury, right?

So what has he "proved"? Ok, he'll play hurt but all evidence so far shows extremely marginal production vs decent opposition.

So, we've got a returning fully experienced senior qb and a soph qb with little experience and a freshmen qb with zero experience. But Bo still strongly states it's a wide open race.

Think about it, EZ-E. What does that tell you?

Couple of things.

First, I think Lee has better running ability than you give him credit for. He's no Eric Crouch, but he can gain at least a few chunks of yards when he needs to.

Second, his injury occurred in week 2 and not after the non-con was over. As a season goes on, injuries tend to get worse and worse because you have no time to correctly heal. Given that you are not Zac Lee, I'm not sure you or anyone really has the right to say anything about what the injury did to him. The most we can assume is it sure as hell didn't help him, because what injury does?

Lastly, as far as the "wide open" quarterback race is concerned, this is exactly the type of person Bo Pelini has proven to be over the last few years. He always says that every position is in a wide open race until the official depth chart comes out. The only player I ever remember him hearing say they have a guaranteed job was Suh in his senior season. Bo wants competition and for his team to get better. Your team doesn't get better if you go around naming off starters left and right all the time. Some of your players may take this as "well, I'm already not the starter so why should I keep competing during fall camp?".

:yeah

I am far from a Lee-lover. I was very critical of his play last fall as well. I then learned of his injury and had it explained to me IN-DEPTH by an athletic trainer. He tore the tendon in his elbow that is considered the "ACL of your arm." With that said this trainer told me that gripping and throwing the ball would have been very unpredictable. I hate to call it an excuse, but I dont think that we could have expected Zac to go out and be an All-American. It just was not going to happen.

I missed the part where I had said that he proved anything Bshirt. Where is that part of my post? Of course the spot is open. After Saturday I would not rule out anyone to win that spot.

So, that leaves his passing ability which after playing the SunBelt teams blew chunks in a big, big way. Of course, you blame that all on his injury. Funny how his injury only happened after we quit playing high school teams, huh? And that his best game after his injury (which isn't saying much) was the Holiday bowl that should have been his worst game due to the injury, right?

The injury that caused the tear actually happened the game before VT. The tear happened in the VT game. What are you implying by saying: "Funny how his injury only happened after we quit playing high school teams, huh?" I dont get it. Are you saying that he wasnt really hurt and just pretending to be? That is what it sounds like to me. :dunno

If you watch some of the throws that he made in the Holiday Bowl, they are still off.

Look, I am not saying that Lee is going to come out this year and be Montana, but if the expectations stay low for him he will surprise you this year.

He does have a lot to prove this year to me. Same with Shawn Watson. They are in very comparable positions in my eyes. They were both handcuffed by a number so circumstances that drastically hampered their performance. This will be the year that they both step up to the plate.

Again, I am not a Lee-lover, but I will rally around our guy, because it will be him.

the coach said in the interview the other day no starter was yet choosen , but it has become a bit more clear....so someone is starting to rise above the crowd

Lots of speculation that the "clearer" QB picture is between the 2nd and 3rd guy, and that the battle is down to 2 guys for the top spot. This is very speculative, so take it for what it's worth.

Rumor ALERT!!!!

I do not have a link, but from a friend that is normally very accurate, the competition is down to Martinez and Lee. If Martinez shows the same type of improvement this week, that he has shown the last one, he most likely will be the QB. Green has fallen to third and coaches are not happy with his efforts. The competition could still go through the first game, but some feel Martinez is the answer to Watsons offensive plan. He has improved his passing considerably and has runs similar to Crouch against the #1 defense. Most are very impressed.

Again, this is just from a friend, and I seldom post this type of stuff, but found it very intersting.

Rumor ALERT!!!!

I do not have a link, but from a friend that is normally very accurate, the competition is down to Martinez and Lee. If Martinez shows the same type of improvement this week, that he has shown the last one, he most likely will be the QB. Green has fallen to third and coaches are not happy with his efforts. The competition could still go through the first game, but some feel Martinez is the answer to Watsons offensive plan. He has improved his passing considerably and has runs similar to Crouch against the #1 defense. Most are very impressed.

Again, this is just from a friend, and I seldom post this type of stuff, but found it very intersting.

It is interesting, but not for obvious reasons.

If this is true, then my problem falls more onto the recruiting aspect. He was hyped up to kingdom come and Pelini isn't known for recruiting guys that don't exert maximum effort and try their best to help better the team. Obviously you can't always hit dead on with every recruit, but that type of attitude just wouldn't fit what Pelini usually recruits.

Rumor ALERT!!!!

I had heard that Martinez had a huge day on Saturday and was making significant strides, but until that day he had mainly been working against the 2s and 3s with Green and Lee getting the #1 reps. If Cody is back to #3, it's a pretty new development. Doesn't mean it's not true though. I think it's unfortunate if it is.

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

simplest answer is often correct: Lee is tested, he will start

All im saying is Dailey never had a chance to become a good QB. With Billy C it was like tryin to stick a round peg into a square hole.

Lee will start, Martinez will be utilize a lot, Green will signal plays in.

I am not a Billy C fan but I wouldn't blame him for Dailey being a bust. Dailey finished his playing career at North Carolina as a wide receiver.

I always felt sorry for Joe D. I saw a few games when he played at NC and he would look great moving the ball and then he would toss an INT or fumble. He was so inconsistant.

the coach said in the interview the other day no starter was yet choosen , but it has become a bit more clear....so someone is starting to rise above the crowd

Lots of speculation that the "clearer" QB picture is between the 2nd and 3rd guy, and that the battle is down to 2 guys for the top spot. This is very speculative, so take it for what it's worth.

Did some hunting and gathering and here is what I found:

Martinez did in fact quit on his team that Friday he missed practice. That is where the UCLA rumors began. He has since then come on strong and had a terrific week. Cody Green has had an excellent camp as well. Zac Lee has done everything that the coaches have asked him to do and has had a great camp.

What I would say is that nothing has really changed. Except the race has become tighter.

Daily? Really? Yeah under solich he has success, maybe... He is more famous for throwing an incomplete Long Bomb in his first spring game under Clownahan than most anything else. He didn't have hype, he had unreasonable expectations.

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

All im saying is Dailey never had a chance to become a good QB. With Billy C it was like tryin to stick a round peg into a square hole.

I am not a Billy C fan but I wouldn't blame him for Dailey being a bust. Dailey finished his playing career at North Carolina as a wide receiver.

I always felt sorry for Joe D. I saw a few games when he played at NC and he would look great moving the ball and then he would toss an INT or fumble. He was so inconsistant.

I always felt worse for Harrison Beck. I remember that kid having a lot of potential, transferring home, and then transferring to an east coast school where he finished his career as a smug, jerk-like quarterback who got a lot of bad rep. I don't feel bad as much just disappointed in the type of player he turned out to be.

Did some hunting and gathering and here is what I found:

Martinez did in fact quit on his team that Friday he missed practice. That is where the UCLA rumors began. He has since then come on strong and had a terrific week. Cody Green has had an excellent camp as well. Zac Lee has done everything that the coaches have asked him to do and has had a great camp.

What I would say is that nothing has really changed. Except the race has become tighter.

That's the thing that kinda makes me laugh in all of this. In a matter of a week, Taylor went from questioning his role in the offense to our rumored #1 QB? :wacko:

• Fire 2

Greene had hype,

now it's Martin-ez

I always felt worse for Harrison Beck. I remember that kid having a lot of potential, transferring home, and then transferring to an east coast school where he finished his career as a smug, jerk-like quarterback who got a lot of bad rep. I don't feel bad as much just disappointed in the type of player he turned out to be.

I was on campus when Dailey was qb and I felt bad for him because out of most of the football players i've met, Dailey was an outstanding person without a drop of arrogance that sometimes you run into with athletes. So when Callahan came in with his west coast offense, Dailey was trying his best, but his skill set no longer matched up with the offense he was trying to run. I have less compassion for Beck. . .although I think its terrible that his mom kind of ruined his career here.

HOWEVER, I'm glad TMart is still on the team and competing hard.