QB Race

Look, I definately think that the QB that comes out of the Cody Green Taylor Martinez battle alive will definately be better than Zac Lee throughout their career. I believe that they are both going to get on the field and make some big time plays this year. But with those plays are going to come moments of complete and utter stupidity that can be attributed to inexperience. With that said I want the most steady QB that is not going to make stupid mistakes and ruin it for us. We all know that the strength of this team is our defense. With that said I believe that Bo and Watson will throw the most steady QB out there that gives us the best chance to win, while not putting us in situations that will lose the game.

Which is interesting, because that's what we saw with Lee last year, but so many people seem to not want to attribute this to first-year growing pains or injury or crappy O Line or any of the other things we know were going on, but rather solely to Lee's inability to run the offense. On the flip side, they seem to be willing to allow for those same growing pains this year from first-year starters Green and/or Martinez. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

I completely agree Knapplc.

Yeah I also agree. Lee was able to play through a lot last year and we should give him credit for that.

Credit for playing injured? Wasn't he covering up his injury so the coaching staff would'nt put in another qb. If so I would say he was putting himself ahead of the team instead of helping the team.

Now if the coaching staff knew he was hurt then the blame goes to Watson, who thought a hurt qb with no real experience put Nebraska in a better situation then two healthy qb's with the same amount of experience.

Credit for playing injured? Wasn't he covering up his injury so the coaching staff would'nt put in another qb. If so I would say he was putting himself ahead of the team instead of helping the team.

Now if the coaching staff knew he was hurt then the blame goes to Watson, who thought a hurt qb with no real experience put Nebraska in a better situation then two healthy qb's with the same amount of experience.

Gosh we've been through this one before. I wouldn't be this exasperated but those are some pretty heavy charges.

Lee was not hiding his injury, the staff was well aware. He was cleared to play. EZ said that the injury was not going to get any worse.

Additionally, the two 'healthy QBs' we had behind him were not nearly as ready, despite having the same amount of experience.

Look, I definately think that the QB that comes out of the Cody Green Taylor Martinez battle alive will definately be better than Zac Lee throughout their career. I believe that they are both going to get on the field and make some big time plays this year. But with those plays are going to come moments of complete and utter stupidity that can be attributed to inexperience. With that said I want the most steady QB that is not going to make stupid mistakes and ruin it for us. We all know that the strength of this team is our defense. With that said I believe that Bo and Watson will throw the most steady QB out there that gives us the best chance to win, while not putting us in situations that will lose the game.

Which is interesting, because that's what we saw with Lee last year, but so many people seem to not want to attribute this to first-year growing pains or injury or crappy O Line or any of the other things we know were going on, but rather solely to Lee's inability to run the offense. On the flip side, they seem to be willing to allow for those same growing pains this year from first-year starters Green and/or Martinez. It doesn't make a lot of sense.

Yeah I also agree. Lee was able to play through a lot last year and we should give him credit for that.

Coaches probably knew of the injury. They prob were advised by the training staff on the best route to go. You hear about players all the time getting hurt and having surgery after the last game... its the norm. The conclusion I can come to is that Lee was BETTER injured than Cody Green healthy.

I think Huskerscott pretty much nails it as far as last year goes. And so we head into 2010 being "cautiously optimistic" as they say. Kinda like the defense was 2 years ago ...... they have to improve and honestly our talent and coach Watson have much more potential than was shown last year. So I like to go with the Lee will be much improved when healthy with a more experienced line.

Coaches probably knew of the injury. They prob were advised by the training staff on the best route to go. You hear about players all the time getting hurt and having surgery after the last game... its the norm. The conclusion I can come to is that Lee was BETTER injured than Cody Green healthy.

While Lee refused to use the injury as an excuse for his play this season, it's pretty clear that it would have affected his performance. Specifically, it would have affected his ability to grip the ball, resulting in some problems with control.

Given that the injury would have strained his elbow and that in turn would have extended into his shoulder area, it probably affected his ability to put more power into his throws. Perhaps some of those deep throws to Niles Paul were under thrown for a reason.

So Watson was alright playing a QB that had problems gripping a football and throwing. Damn how bad do you have to be when a QB with no experience and is injured to the point where you can't hold onto the ball or throw it is still a better option? <_<

As for the first part, I could have swore I read it somewhere Watson was claiming he never kknew how hurt Zac Lee was.

While Lee refused to use the injury as an excuse for his play this season, it's pretty clear that it would have affected his performance. Specifically, it would have affected his ability to grip the ball, resulting in some problems with control.

Given that the injury would have strained his elbow and that in turn would have extended into his shoulder area, it probably affected his ability to put more power into his throws. Perhaps some of those deep throws to Niles Paul were under thrown for a reason.

So Watson was alright playing a QB that had problems gripping a football and throwing. Damn how bad do you have to be when a QB with no experience and is injured to the point where you can't hold onto the ball or throw it is still a better option? <_<

As for the first part, I could have swore I read it somewhere Watson was claiming he never kknew how hurt Zac Lee was.

Yea alot of balls were under thrown last year. Specifically the KU game. Paul wouldve broken the school record by a mile if Lee hits him stride. Instead Paul has to wait on the ball thus getting tackle as soon as he catches it.

Yes it is pretty bad when an injured QB is better than 2 healthy ones behind him. When Green was inserted it was to see if he can lead the offense and manage the game like Lee did. Obvouisly that wasnt case as he looked like a deer in the headlights. Remember AZ game he threw a couple of bad throws that shouldve been picked off.... See the 5 yard out route to Paul that was about 3 yards behind him.

You could be right on the first part. but it couldve been coach speak.

Well, since you mentioned it - the blame for him playing through his injury falls solely on the coaches and the training staff. Zac wanted to immediately get surgery during the season. The coaches and medical staff told Zac that surgery was not needed and not recommended. Zac played through his injuries.

After the season, Zac and his family decided, against the continued advice of the coaches and medical staff, to get surgery. He did not even elect to do it with a surgeon recommended by our medical staff, but instead elected to go back to California to get it done. No one at this university thought he needed surgery, and quite a few folks said Zac was being a baby about it all.

So if you want to finger point, please at least do it in the correct direction.

Basically, our medical staff consists of a team full of morons. Kody Spano still needs to use his good leg to kick the arse of every single person on our medical staff.

• Fire 1

Basically, our medical staff consists of a team full of morons. Kody Spano still needs to use his good leg to kick the arse of every single person on our medical staff.

Are the coaches ever going to realize this and/or do something about it?

Was Zac being put at risk by playing, or did the 'not going to get worse' stuff have some truth to it?

Was Zac being put at risk by playing, or did the 'not going to get worse' stuff have some truth to it?

Without knowing the exact details of Zac's situation, I will point out that there have been several baseball pitchers who have pitched through the same injuries. However they generally lose 10-15% of their velocity when they do so, Ben Sheets did it this year, but he also had a torn UCL (Tommy John surgery). It probably wouldn't have gotten much worse, but it definitely wouldn't have gotten any better. There is the possibility that it could have led to a torn UCL and required even more extensive surgery and a year plus of rehab.

People in our AD would rather be faithful than step on the toes of anyone. Too many people taking this 'loyalty' approach insanely too far, especially when it is hurting the health of athletes at this university.

Plus that same 'loyalty' is helping keep dead weight on our coaching staff. *cough* Gilmore *cough*

And yes, Zac elbow injury happened because of his wrist. If you remember, he stated as much in the LJS right after his surgery.

http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/01/07/football/doc4b469d14e752d150608462.txt

IIRC, Zac actually went to a doctor right after his wrist injury and was told he would only be out a few weeks, even with surgery. Instead, the guy hurt himself worse, but continued to play through it all.

And somehow, quite a few folks question his toughness. Insane.

I found Steve Sipple's article on "Game manager or game changer?" to be very intriguing. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/24/football/doc4c7337afcf40f860118970.txt

It really throws into question which kind of QB do we need this year, a game manager (Zac Lee) or a game changer (Cody Green or Taylor Martinez). My pick is a game manager. My reason for that is, i don't really rely on a fresh playermaker to control my offense unless I am in a bind or my game manager isn't managing things very well on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see a reason this year to call upon a young game changer if a veteran game manager can win the game.

I found Steve Sipple's article on "Game manager or game changer?" to be very intriguing. http://www.huskerextra.com/articles/2010/08/24/football/doc4c7337afcf40f860118970.txt

It really throws into question which kind of QB do we need this year, a game manager (Zac Lee) or a game changer (Cody Green or Taylor Martinez). My pick is a game manager. My reason for that is, i don't really rely on a fresh playermaker to control my offense unless I am in a bind or my game manager isn't managing things very well on the offensive side of the ball. I don't see a reason this year to call upon a young game changer if a veteran game manager can win the game.

All thing being equal you may have a good point. I still think "game management" is grossly over-rated as there's zillions of guys who can't run but can hand the ball off and throw safe incomplete passes for yet another 3 & out. Bfd. There's a heavy, heavy dose of "coach speak" going on here I suspect.

However, there's a big difference regarding NU's near future. Lee is done after this year while Green will have two more years and Tmart three more years.

I bet Bo likes the idea of next year entering the Big10 with a qb who's experienced "and" a playmaker in contrast to very little experience at qb returning and their play making abilities not known. Now if Lee was clearly the best available that would be a different deal. But by all indications so far he's not.

Also, why would you put your potential playmakers on the bench? Lee may indeed be "serviceable" as many claim but that's his ceiling. From what I've seen and read, Green & especially TMart's potential ceilings are much, much higher.

Nope....I don't buy it. It's Green or TMart starting by BigXII play.

All thing being equal you may have a good point. I still think "game management" is grossly over-rated as there's zillions of guys who can't run but can hand the ball off and throw safe incomplete passes for yet another 3 & out. Bfd. There's a heavy, heavy dose of "coach speak" going on here I suspect.

However, there's a big difference regarding NU's near future. Lee is done after this year while Green will have two more years and Tmart three more years.

I bet Bo likes the idea of next year entering the Big10 with a qb who's experienced "and" a playmaker in contrast to very little experience at qb returning and their play making abilities not known. Now if Lee was clearly the best available that would be a different deal. But by all indications so far he's not.

Also, why would you put your potential playmakers on the bench? Lee may indeed be "serviceable" as many claim but that's his ceiling. From what I've seen and read, Green & especially TMart's potential ceilings are much, much higher.

Nope....I don't buy it. It's Green or TMart starting by BigXII play.

Bo has said several times he is not looking a head to next year. To call Lee's ceiling serviceable is simply not true. What is your big beef against him anyways? Have you seen him play in more than the 13 games the rest of us have? Is the fact that he was running timid (while injured) really the only thing you have against him?

Throwing a safe incomplete pass for a 3 and out over and over again, is no way to manage a game. Therefore not a game manager. A true freshman QB forcing a pass to a well covered reciever only to have it picked out and returned for a touchdown is not a play maker.

I am a firm believer that you can have the strongest arm and fastest legs a QB can have, but if you don't know how to lead the offense, manage the game, call the right auds, read the defense, and all that. Having the potential to be a mobile QB means nothing if you don't know how to utilize your abilities to win the game.