Why was Frank Solich fired?

I know people think that Callahan could have kept his job had he only won those games, but I just do not see it. Osborne was brought in to return Nebraska to its roots, and Callahan was NOT the guy to do that. In fact, he was about the polar opposite of that.

Even if we'd have beaten Texas and made the other three losses after TO took over respectable, the odds of Callahan keeping his job the way he helped ostracize past Huskers and the way he so eagerly changed the culture of the program, there's no way he would have stayed.

I'd direct you to my 2007 highlight video where Tom was quoted as talking to Bill about "if you win all these games it's no problem, win 3 of the 4 i think we can make it work, go .500 and it's gonna be awfully tough, etc." but my youtube account was deleted.

I was told many many years ago(5 months before Frank was going to be fired), that Coach Solich used to done large eighties type glasses and pull his coaching shorts up and imitate Pedey at coach's meetings. and one day, Pedey walked in a caught him. He did that because Pedey used to attend the coach strategy meetings dressed as a coach, but had the role of recruiting coordinator. The coaches didn't really like to have Pedey around and he has never forgiven coach Solich for that.

Since we are in rumorville- 3 stories (may have been reported already) on why Tom is retiring 1) Someone told him you are too dam old and he said "you are right and I am leaving" 2) Tom is getting lots of pressure to bring beer sales into new arena- he said it would be a cold day in hell and I will retire if you continue to pressure me on the beer sales 3) Coach Bo is having some panic attacks etc.. lately and is on some pysch meds etc (he was on they hard for UCLA and was too subdue and decided to hell with his rx. He didn't titrate off them after UCLA so he had rapid heart beat etc)... anyway program is in disaster mode down there and a replacement will need to be brought in for the HC by next season is crap doesn't change (or we have another downward spiral like last season). Tom doesn't have the stomach to replace another HC.... either way TO has done great things for the state of Nebraska. Just my .02 and it is rumorville

this is why rumorville was closed.

Frank might of had some issues in personal life. I knew he was fired after week 5 of that season. Will leave it at that! I got the news in a Omaha Bowling alley. I do not bowl. Just met a friend there that knows some boosters. Boosters upset that Frank could not keep the national title teams going. Pretty much end of story. Would you like to know where frank lived in lincoln? Dang guys you really let this thread run?

• 4 weeks later...

Several things led to Frank's dismisal. A supposed affair, drinking problems and confrontations with Pedy even prior to him coming back. Lack of wins and a downward spiral of performance overall. Clownahan was on Pedy.

Jim Grobe was Tom's choice for the team, but the Watson card reared its ugly head. Grobe would not come with out his whole staff and Tom wanted Watson to help with keeping the recruits. Bo was the choice of a major booster, who paid the bills for Clownahan and Pedy. This was really set in stone in early October or late September. In honesty I really do not think Tom had a choice on who was coming in.

Several things led to Frank's dismisal. A supposed affair, drinking problems and confrontations with Pedy even prior to him coming back. Lack of wins and a downward spiral of performance overall. Clownahan was on Pedy.

Jim Grobe was Tom's choice for the team, but the Watson card reared its ugly head. Grobe would not come with out his whole staff and Tom wanted Watson to help with keeping the recruits. Bo was the choice of a major booster, who paid the bills for Clownahan and Pedy. This was really set in stone in early October or late September. In honesty I really do not think Tom had a choice on who was coming in.

I've heard that the Bobfather had a drinking problem. I heard the same thing about Jimmy Johnson. It seems there's a very fine line between personal problems and professional problems and when an employer should step in.

Frank still had the same problem when he arrived at Ohio. almost lost the job instantly over a dui event, and supposed leaving a bar with a young coed. Not sure if the latter is true, but the dui was.

Frank did a lot for this program, and lot of the information was kept quiet due to his past with Nebraska. It looks like he has all his ducks in a row now and I am very happy for him. He was my idol when I was kid. The meanest 170 pound sucker in the world. Fearless frankie hits the hole again.

Let me add this. TO took over a team that had talent. He also had the benefit of Devaney, who hired him and trusted him enough to make him the OC. Osborne had a vision of where football was headed. If you remember he ran a version of the spread and felt this was the future (wow in the 70's). Devaney believed in this too. Tom took a lot of heat. Tom quits, Peddy was hired, Frank was not innovative and lacked communication skills, which killed him in recruiting and lets not forget all the eggs in one basket quarterback recruit mess. Top this off with Peddy wanting to make an impact on his own on the program and you have a turnover in HC.

As much as I dislike Pedy, he had no choice, it was not about him making an impact. It was about cleaning house before the incident went balistic. Frank was gone. He could not have saved his job. There were a lot of things going on, that at that level, were terribly frowned upon. Pedy took a lot fo the blame for it, as it was under him. But I do not think he did it to put his stamp on the program.

He knew what he was doing, he had taken Pitt to new levels and they loved him enough to welcome him back with open arms. He did a good job except for Clownahan and don't think at the time he could do any better. Kinda of a no win situation.

Not defending the roaring ahole, I hate him, he is an arrogant ass. Glad he is gone for those reason, but he did a good job for the rest of the Athletic Department I have heard.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I dislike Pedy, he had no choice, it was not about him making an impact. It was about cleaning house before the incident went balistic. Frank was gone. He could not have saved his job. There were a lot of things going on, that at that level, were terribly frowned upon. Pedy took a lot fo the blame for it, as it was under him. But I do not think he did it to put his stamp on the program.

He knew what he was doing, he had taken Pitt to new levels and they loved him enough to welcome him back with open arms. He did a good job except for Clownahan and don't think at the time he could do any better. Kinda of a no win situation.

Not defending the roaring ahole, I hate him, he is an arrogant ass. Glad he is gone for those reason, but he did a good job for the rest of the Athletic Department I have heard.

Many programs really benefited from Steve Pederson's tenure as AD. He just had the one failure you cannot have - screwing up the football team.

• 4 years later...