Old Habbits Die Hard

epocSoN

I have very mixed feelings about what will happen to this team when conference play begins in a few weeks. I think our team is more similar to last years team than many people would like to admit. Our offense implodes often, with many mistakes, penalties, and turnovers. Four turnovers like that in conference play and we will lose 80% of the time. I'm generally a very positive person, so I'm hoping there are things we can really focus on fixing, but the truth of the matter is, this had been our identity for over a year, and its obvious that these old habits die hard.

- Nervous Husker

GBR

Putting a fumbling machine at qb like Paul.....well, that's vintage SW.

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

We have no identity whatsoever. Still just a "jack of all trades & master of none". Yeah, of course the SW apologists will rip me for saying this but it's the truth as I see it. Watching us get stuffed on 3rd & 4th and short by...."Idaho" just doesn't inspire me.

Yes, putting Paul at QB.... what about the 4 times that your boy Martinez is down for putting the ball on the turf?

Yes, putting Paul at QB.... what about the 4 times that your boy Martinez is down for putting the ball on the turf?

We're talking about "your" boy SW putting Niles at qb. Please enlighten me how great that was.

WE b---- if we play vanilla. We b---- when the kids make mistakes.

We put up what 400 yards of offense, how many times last year?

We b----- about the QB play, we b----- about coaching.

Give it a rest, next week will be different.

amen. our offense is averaging almost 500 yards of offense in the first two games. there is waaaayyyy too much pessimism going on here.

amen. our offense is averaging almost 500 yards of offense in the first two games. there is waaaayyyy too much pessimism going on here.

its vs Western Kentucky and Idaho....i think the original poster brings up some very valid points and they should not be dismissed

We're talking about "your" boy SW putting Niles at qb. Please enlighten me how great that was.

Niles is an athlete and a playmaker that needs those touches. I don't know why it wasn't Burkhead, but it isn't Watson's fault that Niles screwed the pooch.

Also, it's not like it was called in a critical game situation. If there was ever a time to put a wrinkle live that into live testing, then being up on Idaho 31-3 after halftime was it.

At times it seems like the offense is still trying to figure out who they are. They start to grind it out and Watson sees that works so he flips through the playbook for something else to work on. Okay here's a chapter on passing plays. Let's run all the odd number plays on this page....

In a way it did remind me of last season when they would run a series of running plays followed by a series of passing plays. It's still a work in progress. At least they have been able to get some back ups game experience these first two games.

Our offense did the same last year during the Sun Belt stretch. Numbers mean next to nothing right now. The offense is making way too many mistakes for the level of competition and I too am concerned.

First 2 games in 2009...

In 2009 we scored 49 and 38 to open the year, same as 2010.

In 2009 we averaged 492 Yards Per Game in the first two games, in 2010 we've average 503.5.

In 2009 we had 8 tries in the red zone and scored 7 TD's and 1 FG. In 2010 we got the ball in the red zone 11 times, scoring only 6 TD's and 1 FG, we've had 4 drives where we didn't even put up points in the red zone, which was a big problem in the collapse last year.

In 2009 we put the ball on the turf once, and got it back, and threw one pick. In 2010 we've put the ball on the turf 10 times, and lost 5, plus the INT.

In 2009 we had 126 yards penalties, in 2010 we've had 198.

In 2009 we were 12 of 23 (52%) on third downs, in 2010 we are 9 of 19 (47%).

Statistically NU was better last year through 2 games, and we saw what happened after that facepalm.gif

First 2 games in 2009...

In 2009 we scored 49 and 38 to open the year, same as 2010.

In 2009 we averaged 492 Yards Per Game in the first two games, in 2010 we've average 503.5.

In 2009 we had 8 tries in the red zone and scored 7 TD's and 1 FG. In 2010 we got the ball in the red zone 11 times, scoring only 6 TD's and 1 FG, we've had 4 drives where we didn't even put up points in the red zone, which was a big problem in the collapse last year.

In 2009 we put the ball on the turf once, and got it back, and threw one pick. In 2010 we've put the ball on the turf 10 times, and lost 5, plus the INT.

In 2009 we had 126 yards penalties, in 2010 we've had 198.

In 2009 we were 12 of 23 (52%) on third downs, in 2010 we are 9 of 19 (47%).

Statistically NU was better last year through 2 games, and we saw what happened after that facepalm.gif

yeah we know what happened. the huskers went on the road to a hostile, loud stadium and lost in the 4th quarter. glad we don't have to repeat that...oh wait.

mod edit; toned down a little

I'm not bitching about anything. I'm displaying my fear that our identity from last year has stuck with us longer than we would like. My concerns are legitimate because it cost us 3 games last year, and thinking it is a one game fluke is a vital mistake. But I'm just a whining.... right?