Blackshirt sighting....

Saunders

Coach Bo Pelini has decided to hand out the Blackshirts. All 11 defensive starters (and a semi-reserve safety) were seen leaving the practice field Thursday wearing black jerseys.

Each year, Pelini's been a little apprehensive about rewarding his first-team defenders with the honor of being part of Nebraska's longstanding tradition. Not until they earn it, he has said.

Apparently, they have now.

Here's a list of the starters now wearing black on the practice field: Pierre Allen, Jared Crick, Baker Steinkuhler, Cameron Meredith, Eric Martin, Lavonte David, Alfonzo Dennard, Eric Hagg, Prince Amukamara, DeJon Gomes, Rickey Thenarse. P.J. Smith, the top safety reserve who plays in dime formations, also wore black Thursday.

“We thought it was the right time,” Pelini said. “It is a tradition, it's one that I believe in. You pick the time you think is right.”

In 2008, Pelini didn't give out the black jerseys until mid-November. It was October before the first-teamers wore their Blackshirts in practice last year.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100923/BIGRED03/100929842/-1#the-blackshirts-are-back

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_86ec9380-c770-11df-8496-001cc4c03286.html

One of the advantages to being a night-person (I'm a bartender) is that I'm the first one to see the days news (Which is post a little after 12:15am, FYI).

Turns out, big news this week, SDSU will be the first school to feel the wrath of the TRUE blackshirts. Too early? Too soon? IDK. Personally, I would've waited until after Kansas State, but then again, I'm a bartender and not the head coach, so I'll defer to Bo's judgement here.

CONGRATULATIONS BLACKSHIRTS!

"Whoever had Sept. 23 wins the pool.

That's when 12 Huskers received their Blackshirts, five days after providing nightmares to the Washington senior quarterback Jake Locker.

It's the earliest a Bo Pelini team has earned their Blackshirts.

"Just thought it was the right time," Pelini said after Thursday's practice."

***EDIT: Oooooh, just realized someone beat me to it, congrats Saunders for being more of a late-night loser than I, Mods please feel free to delete this post or throw it under the other one***