Stadium Expansion

Not a big fan of the LJS outside the Sports section, and certainly not of Nancy Hicks. But she does have interesting tidbits every so often in her columns. Today was a bit about the 'topping off' of the arena, scheduled for 12/12/12. Should be fun, and it sounds like there will be opportunities for the public to sign the beam before it goes into place. Link is here:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/nancy-hicks-preparing-for-arena-topping-off-ceremony/article_c0bc2b05-0949-5fa6-893a-144e4b6dba9f.html

I totally agree. I don't think people realize how high up those seats will be. It is going to be viciously cold in november if there is any type of wind. Plus, as anyone that went to the Washington game can attest to, the roof can hold in the sound make it crazy loud. The loudest game I've ever been to by far.

One thing I guess I dont get is why the general seats werent lower and the SHELTERED suites above that.

Oh yeah. $$$. Nevermind. :bang

Just take a look at any modern stadium and you'll see two things, the suites are always lower in the stadium with seating on top, and the top of the stadium is pretty high. I really don't get the constant concern with the height of these seats. They aren't going to be any higher than any of the new pro stadiums out there.

I totally agree. I don't think people realize how high up those seats will be. It is going to be viciously cold in november if there is any type of wind. Plus, as anyone that went to the Washington game can attest to, the roof can hold in the sound make it crazy loud. The loudest game I've ever been to by far.

One thing I guess I dont get is why the general seats werent lower and the SHELTERED suites above that.

Just take a look at any modern stadium and you'll see two things, the suites are always lower in the stadium with seating on top, and the top of the stadium is pretty high. I really don't get the constant concern with the height of these seats. They aren't going to be any higher than any of the new pro stadiums out there.

Ticket holders in the upper deck of the east stadium will be freezing their azzzzzzzes off when it is 40 degrees and a 20-30 mph NW wind. And, if it snows or rains............................?

Ticket holders in the upper deck of the east stadium will be freezing their azzzzzzzes off when it is 40 degrees and a 20-30 mph NW wind. And, if it snows or rains............................?

That's perfect football weather.... Whatchu talkin bout Willis?

Doesn't seem to bother fans at pro games. Not sure why it should matter at NU. Been to some freezing cold snowy games at night at Mile High Stadium in the upper bowl and was just fine.

The Arena....

From the NE:

DSCF4117.jpg

Some shots from R Street, near the Post Office.

DSCF4124.jpg

DSCF4126.jpg

DSCF4131.jpg

From the new parking lot about two blocks directly south of the Arena. The superstructure of the new building makes getting shots of this side of the Arena tough, and when they start putting facing up on that building, the Arena won't be very visible from this angle.

DSCF4134.jpg

DSCF4137.jpg

From about 5th& Q, right next to the Amtrak station:

DSCF4138.jpg

DSCF4146.jpg

• Fire 7

Several pictures of the infrastructure and other buildings around the Arena:

This is looking westbound on the recently-poured sections of Arena Drive from the Haymarket pedestrian overpass.

DSCF4114.jpg

This is looking north from roughly 5th & Q, right next to the Amtrak station. They've paved about one more block south of where I took this pic.

DSCF4140.jpg

This is the new building they're putting up immediately south of the Arena, across R street.

DSCF4142.jpg

DSCF4122.jpg

These are the I-beams they're driving in for the second pedestrian overpass, the one they just showed plans for, that will have L-I-N-C-O-L-N spelled out across the span.

DSCF4116.jpg

This is yet another new building going up, also across R from the Arena, just a little west of the current skeleton of a building. Lots of stuff going up in the Arena area now.

DSCF4144.jpg

Several people have asked about the new Barry's. Here's a pic I clicked whilst sitting at the stoplight.

DSCF4096.jpg

• Fire 8

DSCF3942_zps960b6921.jpg

I hope earthquake-proof. Kinda skinny columns.

How many earthquakes does Lincoln get ??? Been away for awhile but in my 21 years in Lincoln, I don't remember any.

Nebraska is in danger of the earthquakes. Yellowstone is a ticking time bomb my friend. Its only a matter of time.