Stadium Expansion

Really big update today.

Here's that pine tree and the final beam they put up a few weeks ago. Just realized taking this pic that it's been a while since I've done a significant update to this thread. Sorry about that.

DSCF3929_zpsc4998fa3.jpg

The commemoration seal as it now appears from the East. I've been concerned they were going to cover this up, but later pics show that's not the case - just a trick of perspective.

DSCF3930_zps4b305f20.jpg

The progress of the brickwork on the north side of the expansion.

DSCF3933_zpsefad6992.jpg

Check out the top of the center column in this pic. There's a new seal up there.

DSCF3934_zpse9b66d3e.jpg

Close-ups of the new seals. An example of the original seals can be found at the bottom of this post. I'm glad they're re-creating the seals out front - it's a bit of throughput from the original stadium to this expansion.

DSCF3935_zps0ee192bc.jpg

DSCF3937_zpsf3d8e937.jpg

One of the original seals, from a pic I took several years ago.

seals01.jpg

• Fire 4

Continuing with the East Stadium Expansion Project,

A perspective shot of the north side, almost entirely clad with concrete siding.

DSCF3938_zps639a39c7.jpg

This is why I'm not concerned about the original inscriptions and seals anymore. The east stadium concourse will be nice and tall, and will allow for continued visibility of the seals.

DSCF3942_zps960b6921.jpg

Case in point, the original NE inscription, clearly visible inside the concourse:

DSCF3943_zpsa61452f2.jpg

And flipping over to the SE inscription, you can similarly see how it'll remain visible inside the concourse.

DSCF3948_zps3e271e29.jpg

A bit of "remember when." The plaque for the 1995 championship among the donor bricks in the south stadium walkway.

DSCF3955_zpsc0fc6821.jpg

An inside look at the construction progress. Not the best lighting, but I don't have all day to wait for the sun to swing its lazy butt around for proper lighting. :) You can see in the north section of the upper tier that they're putting in some of the concrete forms already.

DSCF3957_zps2f4527a8.jpg

• Fire 3

Turning our attention to the Arena now.

The view from the NE. All kinds of concrete cladding going in on the NW side over there.

DSCF3963_zps8119c2b1.jpg

This is the typical shot from the post office parking lot, at 7th & R. They're starting to put in quite a bit of the outside shell supports on the south side here. The foreground is the lobby, above which the deck sits. That curved deck should be pretty slick to stand on and look out over the "skyline" of Lincoln - such as it is.

DSCF3969_zpsc33495b4.jpg

In the intervening weeks since my last pic update, they've put up the superstructure of another building.

DSCF3970_zps9603c3d3.jpg

DSCF3972_zpsecfd3d56.jpg

And here's a shot of the same building from the west, standing at what will eventually be the intersection of Q street and Arena Drive:

DSCF3994_zps77281912.jpg

And here you can see some of the support structure of the external cladding. If winter holds off, they should be able to get quite a bit of this stuff installed.

DSCF3974_zps3357b8f7.jpg

• Fire 4

Finally, the view of the area from the O Street overpass and the Amtrak station.

The whole area. The "Husker Power" banner on the power substation is new as of the beginning of football season. That new building at 7th & Q is lost amid the structural elements of the Arena.

DSCF3982_zpsbd5e59fb.jpg

A more detailed view of the Arena from the south.

DSCF3987_zps85f7c23f.jpg

They've leveled off and paved the area between the Arena and the O Street overpass. In the tree in the foreground you can see my shadow. Even that looks old. Huh.

DSCF3988_zps94058598.jpg

The Arena from the area just east of the Amtrak station. It looks like a lot more of the outer structure is complete from this angle.

DSCF4005_zps50568684.jpg

A closeup of one of the workers.

DSCF3998_zps22a6fff4.jpg

Last shot of this update. I took this pic looking east back towards downtown from what will eventually be the intersection of Arena Drive and Q street.

DSCF4002_zpsbc9afaf4.jpg

• Fire 4

Very nice update knap!! Been killing me not seeing any progress the last few weeks so this is much appreciated.

Regarding the concrete forms on the upper deck, I wonder if most of that will be done between the UW game next week and the next home game with UM a month later. I would think they would want to get the cranes out of there asap so the structure can be fully enclosed prior to winter, and to do that I would think that upper deck needs to be complete. Thoughts?

Pretty sure the building across from the arena is the hotel portion of a big hotel/apartment project. Hyatt Place I think.

503d366e76387.preview-620.jpg

You thinhk so? The renderings don't match the skeleton structure.

It is. There was an article in the Journal Star a couple of weeks ago about that construction getting underway. Hard to tell though if this is the hotel part (which is in the far portion of the rendering) going up or the far north part (that's closest in the rendering) which are lofts I think.

Now that we're several games in, does the sound get trapped in by the new addition pretty well?

I know it was brought up after the first home game, but now that we've had a few games, any noticeable difference?

ps. Thanks Knap

I think well know more saturday evening. I havent been able to tell a difference yet, but I'm also not on the field.