Stadium Expansion

The new turf to be 35 degrees cooler as they will be using cork pellets instead of rubber pellets.

Lighter and cooler. That could be the best way to describe the new playing surface inside Memorial Stadium that's about to be installed this summer.

NU started Monday ripping and rolling up its old FieldTurf — originally installed in 2005 — to prepare for a new, improved version of the same two-toned field.

The new FieldTurf doesn't require as much sand for the base — 40,000 fewer pounds, in fact — and the recycled tires previously used for the top layer of the field will be replaced by small granules of cork.

The new turf to be 35 degrees cooler as they will be using cork pellets instead of rubber pellets.

Lighter and cooler. That could be the best way to describe the new playing surface inside Memorial Stadium that's about to be installed this summer.

NU started Monday ripping and rolling up its old FieldTurf — originally installed in 2005 — to prepare for a new, improved version of the same two-toned field.

The new FieldTurf doesn't require as much sand for the base — 40,000 fewer pounds, in fact — and the recycled tires previously used for the top layer of the field will be replaced by small granules of cork.

Did I dream this up or were we one of the first schools with FieldTurf? Nice that we get the "upgraded version" now.

Thank Jesus. That turf gets ridiculously hot.

I always felt that while turf got real hot, grass was a lot more humid on a hot day.

So are there ribbon boards going in right below the highest deck?? And what is that weird space between the top of the club seats and start of the upper deck?

I think those are more suites but I could be wrong.

Yeah. I think the area behind the club seats is club level ammenities, and the areas above that in the upper deck are the suites? Or am I wrong?

So are there ribbon boards going in right below the highest deck?? And what is that weird space between the top of the club seats and start of the upper deck?

I think those are more suites but I could be wrong.

Yeah. I think the area behind the club seats is club level ammenities, and the areas above that in the upper deck are the suites? Or am I wrong?

Pretty sure that's exactly the way it is.

I always felt that while turf got real hot, grass was a lot more humid on a hot day.

Yeah, that's what I've noticed, too. I would prefer to play any sport on turf any day of the week for that very reason, even if it is a lot hotter.