The "Suuuuuuuuuuh" Thread

Nexus

Appearance by Lions' Suh all about self-promotion

Beverly Hills — Nobody cares whether or not Ndamukong Suh talks to the local media. I get that. As long as he continues to crush quarterbacks and disrupt offenses, nobody cares who he talks to or what he does in the offseason.

So what if he blew us off Friday after the Lions' eighth and final voluntary workout session Friday at Detroit Country Day School? Personally, I couldn't care less. He granted us an audience only Wednesdays during the season last year and except for the occasional goofy prediction he rarely said anything helpful or quotable.

His job isn't to please or appease the media; it's to help the Lions win football games. You think I don't understand that after 30-plus years in this business? Shoot. I've been disrespected by much bigger "stars" than Suh.

That's not what bothered me about Suh's little performance Friday. Does anybody think Suh would have showed up at the last workout session, after missing the first seven, if the NFL Network didn't drag him there?

Come on. He was perfectly content to maintain his own personal workout schedule and continue his almost non-stop Suh Squad promotional tour. He had just gotten back from a two-week European vacation and if you follow him on Twitter, you know he's been hopping all over the globe since the season ended.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110610/OPINION03/106100428

Must be a slow news day in Detroit.

That was exactly my thought when I read this article this AM. None of Suh's teammates had trouble with his schedule. Would have loved to see some quotes this writer got if he'd have asked the players how upset they were with Suh's behavior. He probably would have had to see his doctor for a recorder-ectomy.

Suh probably didn't want to answer questions about why he was vacationing in Europe instead of attending the workouts. He didn't want to explain why he only showed up to do the NFL Network bit. He probably didn't want to explain what he was doing to keep himself in shape during the offseason.

And that's fine. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. But if he happens to have any kind of sophomore slump - doubtful, but you never know - the questions about his busy, fun-filled offseason and all his extra-curricular, self-promotional activity will be much more pointed and unrelenting.

LINK

It almost sounds like this guy want Suh to fail. otoh, this is probably just off-season space filler.

Suh probably didn't want to answer questions about why he was vacationing in Europe instead of attending the workouts. He didn't want to explain why he only showed up to do the NFL Network bit. He probably didn't want to explain what he was doing to keep himself in shape during the offseason.

And that's fine. He's earned the benefit of the doubt. But if he happens to have any kind of sophomore slump - doubtful, but you never know - the questions about his busy, fun-filled offseason and all his extra-curricular, self-promotional activity will be much more pointed and unrelenting.

LINK

It almost sounds like this guy want Suh to fail. otoh, this is probably just off-season space filler.

Exactly. He is sure to get TONS of hits from angry Nebraska and Detroit fans. Easier to get noticed by throwing bombs than it is by practicing real journalism.

LINK

I would guess, if he does have a sophomore slump, it would have to do more with the lockout (see less games/team practices) than general on the field play.

• Fire 1

I can confirm that he's still in Lincoln. In fact, if you hurry over to the North 27th St Wal-Mart, you might just see him. I was walking out just now and damned near ran into him. I put my fist out for a bump and said, "Hey, man."

I did not get a bump.

I got a look that said, "Hey. I've had about 1,000 people try to give me a fist bump today alone. I'm done with the bumping of fists. Nothing personal."

I didn't take it personal. I think he's got plenty on his mind.

One note - I'm a big guy, but Suh is built on a completely different scale than me. I don't feel small very often, but I did just now.

So get this. I run to that same Wal-Mart last night, for maybe the third time since this little episode, and who do I see not ten feet from the very spot where this happened? You guessed it - Ndamukong Suh.

Having learned my lesson I didn't even offer the fist for a bump. Besides, he was talking with some other dude so I didn't want to be that guy who butts in. Suh probably enjoys walking into a store without being manhandled these days.