Dennard & Martinez injury update

Nexus

Martinez is injury prone

Based on what? He hasn't been injured to date?

Anyways................Dennard needs to take it easy, he took a helluva a shot from Osborne, more than Blaine took from Osborne. I think Ciante can take care of his position this week.

I have to think this is sarcasm

I sure hope so. He has taken some shots this year.

Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Taylor Martinez has a sprained right ankle, not a bone bruise in his leg as coach Bo Pelini initially said.

Pelini said he held Martinez out of practice on Monday, but he expects Martinez back at practice Tuesday. Pelini also said Martinez should be ready for Saturday's game at Iowa State.

Martinez was injured late in the second quarter of the Huskers' (No. 7 BCS, No. 9 AP) 31-17 win over No. 14 Missouri (No. 12 BCS, No. 14 AP). Zac Lee took over for Martinez to start the third quarter.

Pelini also said cornerback Alfonzo Dennard is day to day after a collision with teammate Courtney Osborne left him with a concussion.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5753124

Nebraska Cornhuskers quarterback Taylor Martinez has a sprained right ankle, not a bone bruise in his leg as coach Bo Pelini initially said.

Pelini said he held Martinez out of practice on Monday, but he expects Martinez back at practice Tuesday. Pelini also said Martinez should be ready for Saturday's game at Iowa State.

Martinez was injured late in the second quarter of the Huskers' (No. 7 BCS, No. 9 AP) 31-17 win over No. 14 Missouri (No. 12 BCS, No. 14 AP). Zac Lee took over for Martinez to start the third quarter.

Pelini also said cornerback Alfonzo Dennard is day to day after a collision with teammate Courtney Osborne left him with a concussion.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5753124

Good to hear

Ok, am I the only one who is perplexed by how Taylor got an ankle sprain?

Bone bruise seemed to make much more sense to me... on the hit he took, he got chopped down by the safety, but was hit squarely above the knee. I'm lost as to how that would sprain one's ankle. Who knows, maybe it got bent at a weird angle I just didn't see.

Bone bruise seemed to make much more sense to me... on the hit he took, he got chopped down by the safety, but was hit squarely above the knee. I'm lost as to how that would sprain one's ankle. Who knows, maybe it got bent at a weird angle I just didn't see.

I'm confused as well. The hit doesn't look like it could have caused an ankle injury, so it's possible he might have gotten it at some other point. But I don't remember seeing him limping until AFTER the hit to the upper leg. Very strange.

This is what I'm wondering too. I was at the game so I didn't have the benefit of TV replay. It didn't appear that his foot/ankle got caught on the turf during the hit. I thought his legs flew out from underneath him and the helmet to the thigh was what caused the injury.

If you watch the game again, you will see Martinez gets his ankle rolled when he got tackled. I finally got to watch the game for the first time last night, and it appeared all along that he had a sprained ankle. After the game, Bo said they didn't put Taylor back into the game because he couldn't push off. I've had bone bruises, and they hurt like mad but won't cause you to not be able to push off. A sprained ankle will cause you to not be able to push off.

If you watch the game again, you will see Martinez gets his ankle rolled when he got tackled. I finally got to watch the game for the first time last night, and it appeared all along that he had a sprained ankle. After the game, Bo said they didn't put Taylor back into the game because he couldn't push off. I've had bone bruises, and they hurt like mad but won't cause you to not be able to push off. A sprained ankle will cause you to not be able to push off.

Which tackle are you referring to? The one that most of us thought the injury occurred on or a different one?

I'm almost positive a bone bruise to the thigh area would cause difficulty with pushing off. To bruise the bone it obviously bruised the quadriceps femoris as well. This would most certainly cause pain/difficulty when pushing off (think about doing a squat, that's mostly quads).

I've read comments around HuskerBoard from guys who've had bone bruises and they've said it hobbled them and prevented them from pushing off, so that seems to make sense.

I would be very surprised if the team was giving out exactly what is wrong with Taylor. Taylor has "an injury between his hip joint and his toes." I think that's the most we can guarantee right now. I've heard speculation, but nothing that leads me to worry. I just don't think we're being told everything about this.

This is most of the reason why I think we should sit Taylor this week. The offense may not be as sexy without him, but Lee/Green can lead us to a win, no doubt in my mind.

I think they are being quiet about it so ISU still has to make their game plan without knowing what to expect. 25% chance they just aren't sure yet, 75% chance they don't want anyone to know.

Agree. I think it's a 50/50 that Zack starts. That is fine. We should beat Iowa State by 3 TD's without T-Magic.

GBR!!!!