Brent Musburger

husker07

With all the talk about how much Ed Cunningham and how he is now the most hated announcer in Nebraska, even more so than Brent Musburger, it got me wondering. I was somehow ingrained with a hate of Musburger I think from my parents/relatives and I don't know why. Maybe I'm too young to remember, but was there any specific incident why Nebraska fans dislike him?

The relationship between the school and Brent kind of soured after this incident:

Lincoln police cite Brent Musburger on alcohol charge

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — ABC Sports' play-by-play man Brent Musburger was cited by Lincoln police Saturday evening for having an open container of alcohol in a vehicle and drinking from it, a police captain said Sunday.

Capt. Allen Soukup said Musburger was cited at 6:10 p.m. Saturday on a public street just west of Memorial Stadium. Musburger was a passenger in the car and was drinking a beer, Soukup said — a Budweiser.

Musburger, 66, had just finished broadcasting the Huskers' game against the University of Pittsburgh.

He was one of several people who were cited for similar alcohol offenses Saturday, Soukup said.

The fine, if Musburger chooses not to fight the citation, is $144, the captain said.

Efforts to reach Musburger through ABC Sports headquarters in New York were unsuccessful.

An ABC Sports spokesman did not immediately return a call from The Associated Press.

Musberger annoys everyone, but he often has good things to say about the Huskers, even after his police encounter here. I think he's just an easy guy to dislike. I've heard a couple of stories that he's as big of a prima dona in person as he appears to be. He's got a great voice and rhythm for broadcasting football, and when he's on he's actually really good, but he usually trips over his own ego.

I've never heard the McBride story. I'm very skeptical of it unless you've got anything to back it up. Jimmy the Greek punched him in the face when they were on an NFL pre-game show way back when (1970s?).

I remember Ole Brent always having a chubby for the opposing teams QB.

:yeah This is the main reason that I dislike Burnt Cheeseburger. He often talks about players(usually opponents) as if they are old school homies. Sometimes you wonder if he ever is going to pull their you know whats out of his you know where. He can be overly critical(maybe not to Cunningham's extreme), hot/cold on a team in which he is calling a game, and more or less can think he knows more than he does.

I dislike Eddie C, but I loathe Burnt Cheeseburger, 2009 winner of Douche of the Year.

Musberger isn't as bad as Cunningham. What drives me crazy about Musberger though is how quickly he latches on to a BS storyline.

It's more of an ESPN problem, then just Musberger. Like the other night, Oregon beats an unranked USC team 53-32, and gave up the same # of points to USC that Washington, and he and Herbie are just falling over each other trying to display their love for the Ducks. They're like the rest of the media, they just buy a storyline and stick to it. Doesn't matter how nuanced the story actually is, or how wrong they might be, they just run with it without thinking twice.

But let's be clear. Brent Musberger is no Ed Cunningham.

Musberger overacts, is too "overmythotical" in my view as he tries to write a broadcasting legacy to that of Keith Jackson. He just always seems like he's trying to overexaggerate the moment. As far as his feeling towards Nebraska, it's obvious he respects the program, but it's just as obvious that his like for us take a big back seat to the likes of Ohio St., Michigan, USC, Oklahoma, and Texas, I M O.

• Fire 1

Personally, I kinda liked Musberger up until the CCG last year. I was at the game, so didn't hear it the first time around but rewatching it I can't believe how much (especially in the 4th quarter) he appears to be pulling for Texas. When Nebraska "wins" he very plainly states time has run out and Nebraska wins... in fact he almost begins to sound sad. Then when the field goal is signaled good, he may as well be crying and screaming for joy. Up until watching that, I kinda like him, but that was ridiculous

He's got a great voice and rhythm for broadcasting football, and when he's on he's actually really good, but he usually trips over his own ego.

You think so? I don't mind his uh...dialogue, or color commentary if you will, but his actual "as the play is happening" commentary seems ridiculously pathetic to me. Here's what I think of when someone asks me to impersonate Brent Musburger:

"Taylorrrrrr.......holddingggg.....lookinggggggg........running........throwingggg.......he caught it!"

That sort of thing. His call of The Catch vs MU in '97 is a perfect example of this.