Keeping Martinez Out was Right Decision

Enhance

I think this game came down to the weakness in our play calling. So it was on Watson this time guys. We were running the ball down their thoat in the first quarter with the wildcat and just handing the ball off to Helu. Now I will be the first to say you can't do that the whole game, but we sure could keep doing it until they stop it. However, as Watson always does, he gets away from something that works to try something else.

Why didn't he run a variation of the speed option. It was obvious we weren't going to be able to pass, so open up the run game book and lets go. The line would have had a field day. Then when they stack the box, pop one over the top to the TE and away he goes. I think it all was bad play calling. Watson showed he can't change it up no matter what happens during a game. That is something to worry about long term.

However, Colorado will be open at the end of the year, so maybe he will be on his way out anyway.

100% agree.

....que my buddy zoogies rush to defend SW in 5....4...3.....

i will step in for zoogies (i think we think alike).

we got a 14 point lead. the game was over. the defense gave up a score and then paul fumbled. can not blame that on 'ole watson.

He called a horrible game. I'm not saying I could do better, but I could certainly call a 3rd&short a hell of a lot better. He's way too predictable.

I think this game came down to the weakness in our play calling. So it was on Watson this time guys. We were running the ball down their thoat in the first quarter with the wildcat and just handing the ball off to Helu. Now I will be the first to say you can't do that the whole game, but we sure could keep doing it until they stop it. However, as Watson always does, he gets away from something that works to try something else.

Why didn't he run a variation of the speed option. It was obvious we weren't going to be able to pass, so open up the run game book and lets go. The line would have had a field day. Then when they stack the box, pop one over the top to the TE and away he goes. I think it all was bad play calling. Watson showed he can't change it up no matter what happens during a game. That is something to worry about long term.

However, Colorado will be open at the end of the year, so maybe he will be on his way out anyway.

100% agree.

....que my buddy zoogies rush to defend SW in 5....4...3.....

i will step in for zoogies (i think we think alike).

we got a 14 point lead. the game was over. the defense gave up a score and then paul fumbled. can not blame that on 'ole watson.

He called a horrible game. I'm not saying I could do better, but I could certainly call a 3rd&short a hell of a lot better. He's way too predictable.

what about the two play overtime drive for a td? and why does bo get a pass? those third and shorts could be blamed on a lack of execution, as well.

I'm fine with keeping him out. But why dress him and keep him on the exercise bike, primed and ready to come in? If he can't go, he can't go. If he can be effective, put him in.

"If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. Simple as that" -Allen Iverson

According to the OWH, Martinez came in for one play in the wildcat and lined up at receiver. I was there and didn't notice it, but that makes no sense if it did happen. Keep him off the field altogether if he isn't 100%.

The defense looked tired in this game, and I can understand after last week's game. The D-Line looked like they had ankle weights on most of the game. The secondary made some plays, but missed a couple. The LB position did not have a great game. I thought Compton was out of position on most of his snaps. He looked out of sync. The defense played decently well and kept the yardage gained between the 20s for the most part.

I understand the game plan to limit potential turnovers from Cody, but why did Watson ever go away from the Wildcat game? ISU could not stop it with any sort of regularity. Run it till they stop it. If we get 4 yards a play, who cares. 3 4 yard runs nets a first down, 6 or 7 of those nets a touchdown. If the plan is to not let Cody lose the game, then why bother having him out there in the first place? I guess 30-35 carries for Rex and Roy is a bit much to ask, though.

Overall, I am happy for the win. People thought I was nuts when I said that I was not nervous about the MU game, but extremely nervous about this game. I am glad we don't play ISU anymore, because I could see them as dealing Nebraska fits on a yearly basis, regardless of talent differences. Paul Rhodes is an incredible coach and gets more out of each of his players than they know that they have in them.

3rd and 2? Burkhead in the wildcat. Easy.

However, the play-call wasn't that bad - ISU didn't see it coming, and Reed was open, not to mention that Cody could've taken a few strides and slid for the first down if he was paying attention, or thrown a halfway catchable ball.

On our last drive, I blame the o-line. ISU didn't blitz, but still had immediate pressure, forcing a bad throw. Unfortunately, Reed was WIDE open, but Cody couldn't spot him. Probably a TD if he has some time to throw a good ball.

why did Watson ever go away from the Wildcat game

That was my biggest issue with the game. It worked fine. We got a touchdown. Then we abandoned it for the entire 2nd quarter. What was that about? Use what works.

Because that's the way Watson has been since he's been here. He always seems to go away from what's working............it's fairly annoying.

Watson has his days where he does do the right thing, though. Against Missouri, we struggled to get a lot offense going in the second half. When Watson started to rely on Helu at the end of the third and all of the fourth quarter, we extended drives and iced the game away.

He also called a very, very good game against Oklahoma State. Sometimes we see him go away from it, but I've also seen him come back to it with a lot of success.

I'm fine with keeping him out. But why dress him and keep him on the exercise bike, primed and ready to come in? If he can't go, he can't go. If he can be effective, put him in.

"If I'm hurt, I'm hurt. Simple as that" -Allen Iverson

According to the OWH, Martinez came in for one play in the wildcat and lined up at receiver. I was there and didn't notice it, but that makes no sense if it did happen. Keep him off the field altogether if he isn't 100%.

The defense looked tired in this game, and I can understand after last week's game. The D-Line looked like they had ankle weights on most of the game. The secondary made some plays, but missed a couple. The LB position did not have a great game. I thought Compton was out of position on most of his snaps. He looked out of sync. The defense played decently well and kept the yardage gained between the 20s for the most part.

I understand the game plan to limit potential turnovers from Cody, but why did Watson ever go away from the Wildcat game? ISU could not stop it with any sort of regularity. Run it till they stop it. If we get 4 yards a play, who cares. 3 4 yard runs nets a first down, 6 or 7 of those nets a touchdown. If the plan is to not let Cody lose the game, then why bother having him out there in the first place? I guess 30-35 carries for Rex and Roy is a bit much to ask, though.

Overall, I am happy for the win. People thought I was nuts when I said that I was not nervous about the MU game, but extremely nervous about this game. I am glad we don't play ISU anymore, because I could see them as dealing Nebraska fits on a yearly basis, regardless of talent differences. Paul Rhodes is an incredible coach and gets more out of each of his players than they know that they have in them.

I agree with the point with the Wildcat. The coaches obviously didn't EVER want to let CG throw the ball if they didn't have to. So why not have Burkhead, a guy that has some explosiveness and is a good runner, instead of Green, a guy with no burst and fumbling issues, line up in shotgun? It's not like you can't be very creative in the running game out of that formation and still keep the defense honest.

If a guy is your QB, let him be your QB and throw the ball. If he's not trusted to put the ball in the air, put your best running option in there. It's not like ISU didn't figure out after the first couple series that this guy is NEVER going to throw on early downs.