ISU fake in OT

Great call, remember ISU would have had to go back on offense if they kicked, so there there you run the chance of maybe only a field goal try, then the Huskers go back on Offense for the win. The play was there, Hagg would have been a step late if the guy actually threw the ball instead of lobbing it! Rhoads is an ALL OUT coach, he is going to do good things at ISU. You have the #7 at home for the upset, i would not expect anything less to take it to them, they had nothing to lose. It would have been more heartbreaking to lose in 2 OT when you didn't take the chance for the win!

Great call, remember ISU would have had to go back on offense if they kicked, so there there you run the chance of maybe only a field goal try, then the Huskers go back on Offense for the win. The play was there, Hagg would have been a step late if the guy actually threw the ball instead of lobbing it! Rhoads is an ALL OUT coach, he is going to do good things at ISU. You have the #7 at home for the upset, i would not expect anything less to take it to them, they had nothing to lose. It would have been more heartbreaking to lose in 2 OT when you didn't take the chance for the win!

Exactly, he's going to get ripped by some ISU fans but he showed big Cajones doing that. He does seem to have ISU headed in the right direction also. Like the guy i quoted said, Go for the win, screw going for another OT if the odds are against you.

I simply couldn't believe, with the amount of time left (40 secs?), he chose to take a knee and had time outs left. That was mind boggling for me.

As far as the decision to go for two.... great call! He would have been a genious if it worked and the only bad part of it was the wounded duck of a pass thrown. The receiver was wide open and a properly thrown pass would have gotten there easily and to top it off, they had the numbers in the flats as well. If he would have thrown it to the flats the numbers were there as well. Prince was alone with two offensive players. I had visions of a option type win. After all the ifs and shoulda-couldas, my impending heart attack receeded.

I would have been upset as a Iowa St fan, but only because it didn't work. It was a big gamble with a possiblility of a huge payoff (which very easily coulda and shoulda worked).

Kudo's!

The only thing that upset me was the fact that his complaining seemed to change the mind of the ref's on the Helu fumble/extended play.

I simply couldn't believe, with the amount of time left (40 secs?), he chose to take a knee and had time outs left. That was mind boggling for me.

As far as the decision to go for two.... great call! He would have been a genious if it worked and the only bad part of it was the wounded duck of a pass thrown. The receiver was wide open and a properly thrown pass would have gotten there easily and to top it off, they had the numbers in the flats as well. If he would have thrown it to the flats the numbers were there as well. Prince was alone with two offensive players. I had visions of a option type win. After all the ifs and shoulda-couldas, my impending heart attack receeded.

I would have been upset as a Iowa St fan, but only because it didn't work. It was a big gamble with a possiblility of a huge payoff (which very easily coulda and shoulda worked).

Kudo's!

The only thing that upset me was the fact that his complaining seemed to change the mind of the ref's on the Helu fumble/extended play.

i thought it was crazy for them to kneel it to, but after a little introspection, i realized it was for selfish reasons. i wanted them to try to drive it down so we would get a pick. they would have to throw. even dinged up, i like our odds at a turnover, over their's at getting into fg range.

The longer the game goes on, the more likely it is that Nebraska, the deeper, more-talented team with a far better kicker than Iowa State eventually assumes control. Compounding this problem, Arnaud had been inconsistent all game long and appeared to have an injured wheel - a bad match-up against our ball-hawking defense. That being said, at that point in time of the game, ISU had all the momentum, and was playing at at least as high a level, if not more so, than NU.

With those factors in mind, the odds of ISU executing the two point conversion are much better than them standing toe-to-toe with us for 2-3 more rounds in an overtime situation.

I think your concession that ISU was playing better than us at the time was reason enough to give them a chance to win straight up. I had NO confidence that our defense was going to stop them at any point in OT. I feel like our offense had a better chance of being halted by a turnover at some point. We had a quarterback that was basically prohibited from throwing the ball (perhaps rightfully so) that seemed to be fumbling every other snap. We were one dimensional with a mistake prone QB, going against an offense that was moving the ball both on the ground and through the air.

If ISU comes out with their offense instead of their kicker at 31-30, I'm thinking "how in the hell are we going to keep them from getting 3 yards?" You need to stack the line to keep them from running it in, but then you put AWest in a one on one situation with the same receiver that bitch-slapped him the play before for a TD. I don't like the odds.

The longer the game goes on, the more likely it is that Nebraska, the deeper, more-talented team with a far better kicker than Iowa State eventually assumes control. Compounding this problem, Arnaud had been inconsistent all game long and appeared to have an injured wheel - a bad match-up against our ball-hawking defense. That being said, at that point in time of the game, ISU had all the momentum, and was playing at at least as high a level, if not more so, than NU.

With those factors in mind, the odds of ISU executing the two point conversion are much better than them standing toe-to-toe with us for 2-3 more rounds in an overtime situation.

I think your concession that ISU was playing better than us at the time was reason enough to give them a chance to win straight up. I had NO confidence that our defense was going to stop them at any point in OT. I feel like our offense had a better chance of being halted by a turnover at some point. We had a quarterback that was basically prohibited from throwing the ball (perhaps rightfully so) that seemed to be fumbling every other snap. We were one dimensional with a mistake prone QB, going against an offense that was moving the ball both on the ground and through the air.

If ISU comes out with their offense instead of their kicker at 31-30, I'm thinking "how in the hell are we going to keep them from getting 3 yards?" You need to stack the line to keep them from running it in, but then you put AWest in a one on one situation with the same receiver that bitch-slapped him the play before for a TD. I don't like the odds.

completely agree. i was so afraid to see their offense come on the field and so relieved to see the special teams. because, even if they go for it, they have to match up with our speed. they were not fooling anyone.

Exactly my point. Why try to beat us with the backup punter throwing the ball when you've scored 14 points in the 4th quarter and another TD in overtime with your regular offense? Take the same ballsy approach by going for 2 but put the offense out there.

Kudo's!

i thought it was crazy for them to kneel it to, but after a little introspection, i realized it was for selfish reasons. i wanted them to try to drive it down so we would get a pick. they would have to throw. even dinged up, i like our odds at a turnover, over their's at getting into fg range.

Good point, but I think I would have tried to get down the field, at least. That may be why I sit and watch the game and form useless opions. LOL I'm just dam happy we won with all the garbage that went on.

Kudo's!

Okay,now I think I might get why they took a knee-- to move the ball quickly, they'd have to throw at our secondary. In a time crunch, there's a good chance that there would be mistakes made, possibility of a pick, and even if it weren't a pick 6, we have a kicker who is kind of good ;) They weren't likely to get a rushing TD, so it was probably more reasonable to just take a knee, I guess.

Everyone keeps taking about how if the pass woulda had more juice on it or that the wind carried it away....

Watch the play on YouTube. It looks like Haag is in fast motion sprinting to the ball. If woulda been thrown harder he woulda knocked it down still. If it woulda been thrown any harder, still, it woulda gone way out in front. Haag picked it cuz he made a great read moreso than than cuz it was such a crappy pass.

What I don't get, is why rhoads would leave an upset bid in the hands of a second team punter? I get the element of surprise and all, but if you're going for the win, put the ball in your best players hands. We as Huskers get this more than most, think Gill v Miami. What if our backup up punter threw that pass? Think it woulda garnered as much respect for TO? I don't.

I think kneeing it with 3 timeouts and 40 seconds left is what ISU should be upset about. Yet I think he wanted a emotional upset so why not try it.

that too.

he should have tried to get down the field in regulation and never shouldl have gone with the fake fg. I would have played for another OT, but if you go for two, at least do it with the offense.

• Fire 1

Just thinking about P. Rhodes call on fake in OT. He basically decided, "Hey I have a wounded QB who has fought and battled to get us back in this game, we are at HOME in OT, we just scored easily on our possession. So I guess I'll put the entire game in the hands of my backup on on a trick extra point play and hope that wins it." If I were a ISU fan or player I would be disappointed that he didn't trust the guys who got him there to finish the job. This single decision could affect the psyche of these team and ruin the rest of their season. Oh yea of little faith. Thoughts?

I don't think you could go wrong with this. I love the call...took guts....he makes it and he's a hero.