B10 Fit

robsker

I'm mostly concerned about managing against the between the tackles pounding we may get from Iowa and Wisconsin. The "Big 10" is not the issue. The issue is a particular subset of this conference which can trip us up on the way to competing for a MNC. Obviously we will shut down the passing game and they won't be able to run to the outside very effectively. Our DL has not shown the ability to shed blocks and make plays in the run game. Our LBs have not shown the ability to consistently (key word) make tackles at or behind the line of scrimmage on large RBs. We will give up a lot of 5-8 yard plays to these teams up the middle and if they have high ToP we will get worn down. We'll see how our depth is and if we can rotate in enough to handle it.

I agree with the fast Florida teams idea, except the fact that they only play the big tough teams once or twice in a season. I think what the idea of this post is, will that translate over to playing those teams 6-7-8 times a game.

What are the ave. sizes for the big 12?

That I have not seen... but they are bigger than NU and smaller than the average B10. At least that is what the article I am drawing from implies. Specifically, The article that gave the 219 RB, 230 OLB, 250 MLB numbers for the B10 and stated that they were "much bigger" than the B12 --- and the gist was that the B10 was slower and bigger and the B12 was faster and smaller and that this would make an interesting situation when NU joins the B10 as they stated that NU was small and fast --- even by B12 standards. The content from the article (in a Wisconsin newspaper) whose content was relayed to be a friend there basically said that it would be interesting to see how the B10 handles the NU speed (on O and D) and how NU handles the B10 physicality. This got me thinking... and hence the post.

I disagree with the entire premise that players are so much "bigger and tougher" in the Big Ten.

That they are bigger is not an issue for opinion. Their RB's average 219 pounds --- our RB's for next year --- Rex (202), Aaron green (185) are much smaller. The B10 OLB'ers are 230 on average --- we have L. David at 205-210 or so) E. Martin at 215, S. Fisher at what 205? Their MLBers' are 250 on average. Compton is our heaviest and he is perhaps 230. No... there is no doubt that the B10 is a "bigger" conference. No opinion. Fact.

Tougher? Who knows.. But 20 hits a game to your QB when those hitting him are comparable in size up to perhaps 20 pounds heaver versus 20 hits a game against guys weighing 30-45 pounds more than your QB... that is quite a difference.

I think few would logically argue against the notion that the B10 teams that are much larger are more physical than the teams we lined up against, on average, this year.

Did you pull those numbers from thin air?

Burkhead is 210, David is 210 with only a few months in our strength program, he will pack on 15 lbs of muscle by next year. Compton is around 225 right now, Fisher is 235, Martin is 240, Whaley is 225.

If you look at the top 4 teams in the Big Ten (Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio State and Michigan State) here are the averages (took top 2 running backs at each school for the average)

DE- 275

DT- 285

OLB- 230

MLB- 227

RB- 218

Here's what NU is looking at next year. Looks pretty close across the board, but we probably need a little more beef at DE. If David packs on 15 lbs our average OLB would be 230. In other words, you are WAY off base.

DE- 263

DT- 288

OLB- 223 (assuming David doesn't add weight)

MLB- 225

RB- 220 (Burkhead and Robinson)

Thank you, I posted a roster on one of the very first posts, thinking that would show that this thread is underappreciating NU's size. Making the question raised in this thread a "non-issue". Apparently it didn't get read.

NU is not small, they do have speed, they have a coach that knows the game. To sum it all up, NU may not win the Big10 next year but they will not be lumped with Minnesota, Indiana, and Purdue. That, though not a betting man, I would put money on.

Linky

NEBRASKA FOOTBALL: Husker Monday Review - ISU

Cyclones exposed NU weaknesses that Big Ten could further exploit

By Samuel McKewon

November 07, 2010

Story image 1

File Photo

Kyler Reed and Rex Burkhead were two important weapons Saturday.

Welcome to the Big Ten.

You probably didn't see that banner hanging at Jack Trice Stadium Saturday afternoon. It wasn't physically there. But in spirit, Nebraska's new league hovered over its 31-30 overtime win at Iowa State.

In size, structure and athletes, the Cyclones are the Big 12's best impression of the Big Ten. ISU's receivers and tight end were a load for NU's secondary to cover and tackle. Iowa State wasn't fast, but it was tough, making clever foot tackles on Husker running backs Rex Burkhead and Roy Helu just before they burst into the clear. Paul Rhoads' defense deliberately kept everything in front of it.

The Cyclones' big offensive line frequently managed Nebraska's exotic blitzes, holding occasionally – and getting away with it. Happens all the time in the Big Ten, where the tackles are the size of a tugboat and nearly impossible to bull rush.

The Brothers Pelini rolled the dice with a relatively smallish defense that again kept the equivalent of four safeties on the field and just one linebacker in LaVonte David. From this vantage point – it didn't work. ISU ran 16 more plays and picked up nine more first downs. Despite throwing 20 more passes, ISU won the time of possession battle.

As well as Nebraska matched up with Missouri's offense and defense, it matched up poorly with Iowa State. And the Huskers will see better versions of the Cyclones' template – see Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa and Michigan State, among others – in the Big Ten.

Seen many posts lately about speed, play, etc going into B10 play...well, least we won.

And I am also an Exercise Science major...not exactly implying I have more of a credible answer...but if I am playing a sport esp. soccer, football, hockey to name a few. The top two skills I would work on the most with any athlete would be speed and acceleration. It seems to be working for Taylor Martinez... = )

We'll need linebackers. Hopefully Fisher can get back to 100%, it's always iffy with broken legs. And hopefully Eric Martin can really turn it on.

Our line will have to get bigger. To be honest, I don't see the point of having undersized DTs if we're not going to let them pass rush. This is what frustrates me about our defense this year.

Sounds like we're recruiting some decent front 7 guys. Bo knows a thing or two about defense, we'll be fine.

Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned the importance of how we play in the trenches, both offensively and defensively, once we start B10 play. I think it's safe to say the best teams in the B10 have speed and athleticism at the skill positions - so does Nebraska - but what sets them apart is the strength, durability and execution of the big guys up front.

Wisconsin immediately comes to mind b/c they've shown time and again they'll hit you in the mouth with their tremendous blocking and ultimately kill you with the speed and athleticism of the skill players following that blocking. Obviously Nebraska has a different offensive style than Wisconsin, but the fact remains - we have a very solid offensive line that is only going to get better and deeper. Since Pelini has been HC, we've really put a lot of emphasis on having a stellar offensive line, and it's beginning to show. There's a reason we're such a good running team right now - the offensive line.

On the other side of the ball, I wish I could just go along with the "we'll be fine because Carl and Bo know exactly what they're doing with the Dline" line of thought. But, I think there needs to be noticeable improvement if we expect our Dline to do any damage against the O-lines of the top B10 teams.

After the ISU game, I listened to the Big Red Wrap-up with former Husker Aaron Taylor, and he essentially said he'd be glad to block any of our interior linemen, namely Crick and Baker. In fact, he said he'd rather block Crick b/c he has tendency to get stood up, which really puts him at a disadvantage. Taylor also said he felt if Baker learns to use his long arms properly, he'll be extremely dangerous and tough to block. Obviously these guys (and every other Dlinemen) have room for improvement just like every other player. But, in order for our defense to have success against those B10 offenses, our Dline has to step up in a big way to counter those big, disciplined B10 O-lines. That's going to make the biggest difference.

I'm not sure where we fit in the Big 10, but then we have to ask ourselves how does the Big 10 fit into winning championships? In the 80's, Nebraska typically did well until we ran into a team with speed. Then, we got our backsides handed to us. This is why TO lost like 7 or 8 bowl games in a row. It was when we went to recruiting speed on the defensive side of the ball that we ended up having the run we did in the 90's. The Big 10 teams remind me of the Huskers of the 80's. I'll take speed over size any day of the week.

In today's press conference, Bo addressed the issue and said he believes that we will play "a little bigger" next year

Brian Dobson knows his shiz....he'll put a lil beef on em. I wouldn't try to put too much on though obviously.

I knew a JAMES Dobson or Dobs as we called him when I was there. And, yes he knew what he was doing. He took a lot of things that Kennedy had ran the previous years and threw them out the door. Dobson has a bright future in the biz.