If we lose at the Big XII Championship game, do we have a better bowl matchup?

We would get an infinitely better opponent if we went to any other bowl that isn't the Fiesta Bowl

Destroy the BCS

Better yet, take away the automatic qualifying status from the conference for the year if they don't have a champion that's ranked in the BCS top 25.

Does the Big East even have a team that's bowl eligible yet?

As far as bowls go, I don't care who we play. I just want to win that Big XII trophy so damn bad. And after we get it, we shove it up Dan Beebe's ass and tell him he can keep it.

I forgot to mention....

With a BCS bowl comes the month long advertising of FOX/ESPN (whoever has the games this year) pimping up the BCS bowls and matchups. That means Nebraska gets nationwide primetime advertising for a few weeks plus the other financial benifits with a BCS game. In the Cotton or Holiday bowl, the Huskers will be blended in a 60 second spot with a dozen other bowls.

The build up to a BCS game is worth millions in advertising alone (free to the University). Heck, does ESPN or whoever have to pay Nebraska to use them in advertising, I don't know :dunno

Wow......if we would lose Big 12, then we drop to about #15 or so....go to the cotton (maybe)... beat another SEC team that is ranked probably #10 - #15 and we finish about #10

or

Win the Big 12...ranked approx. #5-6 (if we beat AM) .....pound Pitt or other Big East and finish #3-4

Which is more impressive? :facepalm:

This isn't even a discussion. Beating AM and then OU or OSU on primetime in the Big 12 game is going to leave a lasting impression, then pounding someone in Tempe....

Plus, talk about putting cart ahead of horse.... Here we are talking about this....What if....we lose to AM (possible), beat CU and then lose to OU or OSU (possible)...We are then ranked about #16-#17 with 3 losses and 2 of those being late in the year. Then we go to Cotton bowl and play Alabama. A team with a great running game. We have struggled against the run... Say we lose to 'bama (possible), and then we finish approx. #22 - #25 with losing last 3-4....

I know it isn't fun to think about, and you can curse me all you want, but the with the team I have watched the last 2 weeks, this is a very possible scenario.

My question is if we win out the regular season, and then lose the CCG, what chances do we have of getting an at large bid?

I could very well be wrong, but I believe if we lose in the Big 12 Championship game we will not get an at large bid unless TCU or Boise State loses especially if we're playing and lose to a two loss OU team for the Big 12 title.

Edit: Everyone except HuskerMav...

Here's what everyone in this thread seems to be missing:

If we win out in the regular season then lose the Big 12 title, we are much more likely to go to a BCS bowl as an at-large selection than the Cotton Bowl. If Auburn and/or Oregon play for the national title, we could be picked up by the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl in their place... otherwise we could be selected to the Fiesta to take on (possibly) 10-2 Virginia Tech, who would be ranked in the 9-12 range

Edit: Everyone except HuskerMav...

Here's what everyone in this thread seems to be missing:

If we win out in the regular season then lose the Big 12 title, we are much more likely to go to a BCS bowl as an at-large selection than the Cotton Bowl. If Auburn and/or Oregon play for the national title, we could be picked up by the Rose Bowl or Sugar Bowl in their place... otherwise we could be selected to the Fiesta to take on (possibly) 10-2 Virginia Tech, who would be ranked in the 9-12 range

That was my thought when I initially saw this thread... That if we lost in the B12 Championship game, we'd get picked as an AT LARGE for one of the other BCS games and not the Cotton Bowl. I think this is what the OP was getting at too, he just never seemed to back it up.

If that is indeed what he meant, he's got a valid point. Obviously, losing in the B12 championship would not be ideal, but would very likely pair us with an opponent superior to Pitt. I'd rather leave with some B12 hardware, though.

My question is if we win out the regular season, and then lose the CCG, what chances do we have of getting an at large bid?

I could very well be wrong, but I believe if we lose in the Big 12 Championship game we will not get an at large bid unless TCU or Boise State loses especially if we're playing and lose to a two loss OU team for the Big 12 title.

Only one of TCU or Boise is a lock unless they finish #1 and 2. But I don't see a bowl passing on an unbeaten team in favor of a team coming off their 2nd loss.

IMO, there is absolutely no way the BCS passes on an undefeated TCU and Boise State for a 2 loss Nebraska team. Especially this season, when the entire year has focused around those two teams and their potential drive to the championship game. Way too much hype and pressure this year for that to happen.

If we lose, we would probably be ranked #10 - #13 and those other two teams will be #3 and #4.... too much distance between us and them to pick NU. The only way we go to BCS in win Big 12

I heard this. If we make it to the Big XII championship and win, we play the Big East champs. But if we lose, we go to a non-BCS bowl but more than likely, against a more respected team like a 2nd or 3rd place SEC team. Not that I'm going to cheer for Nebraska to not win the Big XII, but I think we earn more respect from playing and beating a 2nd or 3rd place SEC team than beating a Big East champ.

you can't really be serious? :bs:

IMO, there is absolutely no way the BCS passes on an undefeated TCU and Boise State for a 2 loss Nebraska team. Especially this season, when the entire year has focused around those two teams and their potential drive to the championship game. Way too much hype and pressure this year for that to happen.

If we lose, we would probably be ranked #10 - #13 and those other two teams will be #3 and #4.... too much distance between us and them to pick NU. The only way we go to BCS in win Big 12

You are forgetting that the Rose might take TCU instead of Stanford, and Ohio St. could very easily lose to Iowa. Would the Orange take us over Stanford? Maybe. Us over MSU? Probably.

Jtrain:

You may be on to something. Question: Where do you have Wisconsin going? - Rose ?...then if Ohio St. loses to Iowa, that would kick them out.... Do you think a 2 loss Ohio State that lost to Wisconsin and Iowa is less attractive than a 2 loss Nebraska who lost to Texas (who probably won't be bowl eligible) and either OU/OSU? Aren't there only 2 "at large" bids? TCU-Boise-Ohio St. - Stanford - LSU all ahead of us and are not going to win their conference for automatic bid or go to NCG.

Serious questions, not looking for arguement.