What we learned tonight

walksalone

That our offense without a healthy Tmart is 2009 (incredibly inept).

That the BigXII refs are so corrupt they make politicians look like saints.

That just like last year winning rides 100% on the defense and Henry with zero margin for error.

+1 -- And Bo should probably chill out a little bit...

Fortunately for us, both the defense and Henery are pretty frickin' good.

1) Is Cody Green really a better option than Zac Lee?

At this point, I don't think so.

2) Should we start putting some of the blackshirts on offense?

Now, that's an idea. They'd probably play with more passion, at least.

3) If you're at Kyle Field, and you're clearly out of bounds on an interception, there's no conclusive evidence to overturn it.

In college football, if both feet simultaneously touch the ground and one foot lands out of bounds, it is ruled a catch. In the NFL, it wouldn't be a catch. I wasn't sure about this either but I was watching the game with a walk-on offensive linemen and he said that in college, it is a legitimate catch.

4) Is the QB the problem, or the Off Coord?

I think it's the entire offensive staff and their ability to coach and develop talent.. One player should NOT make or break your offense. Case in point, no matter how dominant they were to begin with, the 94 team did just fine without Frazier at the helm. In fact, this team went down to Manhattan with the Turmanator and won 17-6 that season.

1) Is Cody Green really a better option than Zac Lee?

2) Should we start putting some of the blackshirts on offense?

3) If you're at Kyle Field, and you're clearly out of bounds on an interception, there's no conclusive evidence to overturn it.

4) Is the QB the problem, or the Off Coord?

4) is the biggest question and I don't have the answer.

I have been concerned about the effectiveness of this offense for a good chunk of the year. I have been called out in several threads because I called this offense 'Big Play or Bust'. This is no knock against Tmart, but besides his huge games when he is untouched and going for 60, is there anything? This is really more a question about the offense than his skills(he has ability). I had grown confident in the obvious improvement of his passing skills, but he has been limited since his injury.

I have been a Watson defender since day one, but I have officially abandoned ship as of yesterday. This offense has no identity. If they aren't making a huge play, they can't score. The play calling baffles me. Why are we running the zone read when they clearly can't execute it (QB is hurt or we have #17 in there). When you allowing a defensive lineman to run free as part of the read, do they go after the slow/hurt qb or the running back that IS GOING TO GET THE HAND OFF???? It is basically a wasted play. aTm loads up the box and there doesn't appear to be any philosophy and/or play change. Against Iowa State the only effect thing we had was Burkhead in the Wildcat and we go away from it. It seems like the Solich offense to me (Everyone knows what play is coming). That two minute drill at the end of the game, much like the another from a few weeks ago, was a train wreck.

What happened to Mike McNeil? Where is the guy? He use to be a gamer and now he's non existent. Is Zac Lee really hurt? What's the whole story here?

We all bought into Watson when Ganz was making plays. Throw Keller into the mix and he's a pretty weak resume. I'm going to give Martinez the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not convinced we know what we have a QB just yet.

I know the penalty concerns are what everyone wants to talk about and rightfully so, but the defense and the 150 in penalties only resulted in 9 points....C'mon Watson. How can Bo take the worst defense in the country to one of the best and we can't score consistently?

Uh...QB is the problem. And it's not even so much the QB at this point, but the fact that he is limping out there. And the guy behind him is a wide-eyed third stringer that cannot got his head into the game.

What happened to Mike McNeil? The same thing that happened to basically all of our pass-catchers since the % of passing plays dropped to 30. Reed has fairly broken out, though.

Why do we live on the big play? Again. Taylor. He's a home run threat. Did nobody pay attention at the beginning of the year to the Taylor Magic naysayers? We were all, "this is bad. Taylor's gonna give you some amazing, quick big plays, and then he's gonna disappear for drives at a time. That's going to be dangerous to rely on." I mean....that was both right and wrong, wrong in the sense that we've done a lot more with him against some bigger name teams than I would have figured possible. And that's a credit to OC and QB both.

But now he's hurt, and as of last game he was NO threat at any point in the game after he was knocked out by Caputo.

so, while Bo has quickly and slowly developed, quite frankly, amazingly deep talent all over the defense...mr watsons offense seemingly has holes all over the place and inneffective personnel groups throughout the same time period. injuries or not, the dude runs the offense and is a qb coach. i see no progress. you are right on one thing...one freshman bought him another full season to work his mayhem. and that is what is sad to me.

Uh...QB is the problem. And it's not even so much the QB at this point, but the fact that he is limping out there. And the guy behind him is a wide-eyed third stringer that cannot got his head into the game.

What happened to Mike McNeil? The same thing that happened to basically all of our pass-catchers since the % of passing plays dropped to 30. Reed has fairly broken out, though.

Why do we live on the big play? Again. Taylor. He's a home run threat. Did nobody pay attention at the beginning of the year to the Taylor Magic naysayers? We were all, "this is bad. Taylor's gonna give you some amazing, quick big plays, and then he's gonna disappear for drives at a time. That's going to be dangerous to rely on." I mean....that was both right and wrong, wrong in the sense that we've done a lot more with him against some bigger name teams than I would have figured possible. And that's a credit to OC and QB both.

But now he's hurt, and as of last game he was NO threat at any point in the game after he was knocked out by Caputo.

What's troublesome to me is that Martinez really matters that much to this offense. With all the weapons we supposedly have, between Helu, Burkhead, McNeill, Paul, Kinnie, Reed... the fact that Martinez goes down and our offense goes back to 2009 version should be a red flag. We should be able to utilize our weapons better than we have, especially when we have that many on the field even without Martinez.