Big 12 crowd humming ‘Boomer Sooner' after Nebraska's behavior

I believe that there were death threads-- very likely hyperbolic "death threats" like when you tell your older brother that you're going to "kill" him after he turns off your playstation midgame. I mean, come on, cutting a guy with a beer bottle is a legit threat? Maybe there were more vague ones like, "I'm gonna effin' kill you" or something. But I'd imagine that even in the authors' heads it was hyperbolic.

Stuff like that happens, it happened to people in my department. There are yahoos in Nebraska, surprise surprise, just like everywhere else in the world.

I wish that if Nebraskans had done that, that they wouldn't have, so that Beebe could have been booed in the stadium. Well, maybe I don't wish for that, either. No, I just want him to show up and see our team applauded for a good game and a good season while he slinks off.

I find it funny that Barry or any other OU fan/supporter would write such a piece given their reaction to the Oregon game a few years back. I went to Barry's site and dug up this article he wrote. Notice that Barry is calling for accountability and feels that an explanation was needed for calls that didn't go OU's way. I also linked an article at the bottom in which OU's president sought to have the Oregon game removed from the record books. Seems to me Barry and his fellow supporters seem to have a case of amnesia.

Refs don't have to answer to anyone

By Berry Tramel Oklahoman

Published: September 18, 2006

Nic Harris, 19 years old and a college sophomore who says he's been shaped most by "growing up without parents," answered questions about how he got burned on the game's pivotal play.

Garrett Hartley, 20 years old and never before called on to kick a field goal of such import, answered questions about how the Oregon Ducks blocked what could have been a kick to last forever.

Bob Stoops, 46 years old and long tired of answering questions, nevertheless stood in the bowels of Autzen Stadium and until the last writer fled, fielded all queries on how his team blew a 13-point lead in the final 72 seconds.

But Gordon Riese, a 28-year Pac-10 official, in whose eyes and mind the OU-Oregon game swung, received immunity from cross-examination.

What kind of accountability is that?

Oregon beat Oklahoma 34-33 Saturday in a drama that could have been a game for the ages but instead is a game for the rages, at least in these parts.

Two replay reviews were not overturned, mistakenly, turns out, and the onside kick play would have cinched victory for the Sooners, provided OU could execute the old take-a-knee play.

When I saw the replay Saturday on the Autzen big screen, I thought, uh, maybe. By Sunday, I saw all the replays you saw and know the Sooners got rooked.

I know this was another game OU lost via dubious means, similar to Texas Tech a year ago, though frankly the Sooners deserved that one more.

Play defense the way OU did Saturday and officiating complaints lose some oomph.

But still, funny how technology or poor eyesight felled the Sooners for the second time in a span of six games.

Maybe there's an explanation. Maybe there's a perfectly good reason Riese looked at Oregon's onside kick and decided everything was kosher.

I don't see what it could be, but you never know. Fuzzy TV screen. Laryngitis. Bad headsets. True story: an OU fan e-mailed Saturday night that the only possible explanation is that the replay official in the booth said "Oklahoma ball," and the referee, holding his headsets to dim the Autzen noise, thought he heard, "Oregon ball."

We're open-minded. We're willing to listen.

But no one is talking.

Well-paid coaches face the music after games, win or lose. Unpaid players too. Heck, even the mediocre-paid media is accountable. I have a radio show and take calls; I have e-mail and answer them by the hundreds, even politely, provided you hold the profanities under five.

But the officials? They're untouchable.

Follow my track record, and you know I'm no ref-hater. I support the officials almost to a fault. Officiating is a thankless job, and most do a fine job.

If you're one of those Little League parents who harass the refs, shame on you. If you're one of those fans at the state basketball tournament who scream at the officials, lighten up.

But this is not Little League or Minco High School. This is big-time stuff. Big environment. Big money. Big stakes.

Officials on the BCS football level are not drafted. It's an all-volunteer army, and they are fairly compensated. Truth is, it's competitive among the striped shirts. That Big 12 crew calling OU-Tech last year, the Pac-10 crew calling OU-Oregon on Saturday, they all aspired to be on that stage.

So how about some accountability? How about Gordon Riese not hide behind the Pac-10 office? Our man George Schroeder talked to Riese on Sunday, but Riese clammed up and said he needed conference permission to talk. The Pac-10 declined to grant it.

What kind of nonsense is that? No wonder the replay system emits a foul and unpleasant odor. No wonder everyone hates refs.

Conferences do their officials no favors when they bury them in secrecy. Truth is, put these guys behind the mic after a game, and it would help to humanize them.

Put these guys' feet to the fire after a game, and it would do wonders for responsibility.

Here'e that other link: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003264358_weboregon18.html

• Fire 1

All the people saying our fans have "lost their way" clearly have not been to a Husker game recently.

The greatest fans in college football tag has more to do with the sellout streak and support the team has throughout the state rather than the demeanor of fans. That's not to say the demeanor is bad or has become worse than the TO days though, it's just less hostile than many other fan bases.

The A&M game was the worst breakdown we've had in awhile and it showed at the CU game with loud booing after every penalty and the fans with yellow flags. But after the right calls were made against CU or flags were picked up off the field there was laughing and a realization that we were being stupid. I don't expect to see that again, it's my opinion that the whole affair was a set off by the A&M crew being massively incompetent. If we had a functioning league those officials would be iced for awhile or possibly even let go (they made some awful calls at Bedlam too).

Concerning the Eric Martin business and clamoring that we've become a cheap shot team...well it's not a secret that Bo is tired of every hard hit being characterized as attempted manslaughter in the media. A lot of the big hits look worse than they are and a lot of the normal hits end up being worse than they look. You can't get the whole picture from a few TV angles or even begin to speculate on intent of there was an illegal hit.

i wonder how this guy would feel if the entire conference turned against his team?

we still have the same class we've always had. it hasnt gone anywhere. but we've also never let someone/team/conference disrespect us like they have this year. what do they expect us to do? roll over, take it, and then just quietly walk out the door? if thats the case, you're delusional.

we'll still applaud you're team for showing up and kicking our asses. we'll still shake your hand after we get whipped. as long as you do it with class and show us respect. thats the way its always been.

Let me parlay this with Tramel is an asshat 99% of the time regardless of who he's writing about so take this article FWIW. I've also witnessed some of this mentality here in OK. A lot of fans (OSU fans particularly) who otherwise would cheer on Nebraska, have started to cheer OU in hopes of keeping NU from winning. Tends to add credence that it definitly is NU vs Big 12 this coming weekend.

newsok.com

What happened to those people? Now Nebraska seems inhabited by a bunch of kooks who frighten off Beebe, an ex-NCAA investigator, and fire off uncouth e-mails like they're from Louisiana or somewhere.

Haha... I do agree with that. LSU fans are the WORST.

This article makes me want NU to win Saturday night that much more. One last time! We can leave this conference with a trophy in hand and heads held high looking to the next chapter of Big Red football. Just because NU got a great chance to be part of something bigger, it just shows me the lack of maturity (and maybe some jealousy) of some of the teams remaining behind. Rather than looking at the history of the last century and everything that NU brought to the table, some people are stuck in the childish mentality of "if you leave then I wish you the worst", rather than "thanks for the memories and good luck". It is truely sad in my book!