Show some respect for Washington, please

Dear Washington Fans,

Yes, we respect your school. However for those 30,000 people that paid to go see our previous game are not as interested in paying even more to travel even farther to re-match against a team we already beat (forget the 35-point whipping part of that for now).

There's a reason OU and Nebraska have a rivalry, and why we wouldn't mind playing them 3 times in 12 months. Plain and simply, that's because they're good, and when they talk, they can back it up. We won round one of three by 5 touchdowns, will win this large as well, and destroy the Puppies next year without Locker. So why would we be thrilled about this?

Yes, you have had decent programs in the past, but this year is similar to our 2002-03 season. We didn't even respect ourselves that year. Respect outside of being respectful is earned. We will be courteous and respectful of your fans, as always, but as they say "twos a company, threes a crowd" and playing a team that has comparable stats to a Fresno State or a South Florida 3 times in 12 months is... well... playing a team with similar stats to Fresno State and South Florida 3 times in 12 months.

Also, you must understand, we were 4 points away from going to the BCS bowl (Fiesta) and getting our elite status back in the eyes of many. Instead, we get skipped for MIZZERY thanks to that mailbox full of Benjamins kindly donated to the Insight Bowl Foundation from an anonymous donor, and we head to the same place we went last year for a bowl.

So, in closing, we love you like our brothers, but we hate the circumstances that surround this "kerfuffle".

Signed,

Husker-liking people.

isn't it sad that someone has to come here and ask husker fans for some respect for our opponent? that used to be a giuven from us. now there are people scoffing at the idea of respecting washington. maybe it is time to take down those signs at memorial stadium....they no longer refer to us.

shut up dude.....i'm so sick that every time nebraska fans stand up for themselves someone has to come in and spew this bullsh#t. Of course we respect washington fans and what not but this match up really sucks and you know it. The last thing we want is people trying to sugar coat it for us.

wow...not sure if you are refuting me or trying to prove me right.

I'm asking you to please step off your moral high horse and stop taking a couple message board posts so seriously.

First off, thanks to the classy fans out there. I'm not saying you have to respect the Washington program, but you should respect the kids. Because that's what they are out there in college football, a bunch of young kids just doing their best to make their fans, parents, their coach or what have you proud.

I respect Auburn and even Oregon as programs and teams, but they have rosters full of Boise State player punching, ankle-bracelet wearing, thieving, girl friend assaulting, bought-and-paid-for thugs.

Respect for a program and respect for its players are two different things. When you say things like playing Washington is an insult, that sort of thing trickles down to the honest players and they hear it. That's not cool. You got beef with the broken BCS and bowl system take up with the Beebe types and NCAA, not the kids.

• Fire 2

First off, thanks to the classy fans out there. I'm not saying you have to respect the Washington program, but you should respect the kids. Because that's what they are out there in college football, a bunch of young kids just doing their best to make their fans, parents, their coach or what have you proud.

I respect Auburn and even Oregon as programs and teams, but they have rosters full of Boise State player punching, ankle-bracelet wearing, thieving, girl friend assaulting, bought-and-paid-for thugs.

Respect for a program and respect for its players are two different things. When you say things like playing Washington is an insult, that sort of thing trickles down to the honest players and they hear it. That's not cool. You got beef with the broken BCS and bowl system take up with the Beebe types and NCAA, not the kids.

cartman_tears.gif

• Fire 2

playing washington is an insult. i cant help it if the washington fanbase blah team blah blah takes it personally. it seems like you almost get it in this post of yours...if you go back and read your own words a few more times you might see where these 'disrespectful' nebraska fans are coming from.

I don't understand how somebody could be a fan of a school growing up and then go to another school to become a fan of that school and forget about your roots.

I have a buddy who grew up as a die hard Husker fan where his parents and siblings are Husker fans too. Needless to say he attended the University of Kansas and is now a Jayhawk fan and very little a Husker fan.

I think I speak for most Husker fans everywhere when I say: we absolutely respect the players/coaches/fans as people, why wouldn't we? But as for this game... gimme a break. It was a blood bath the first time around, and at the end of the season it's still clear NU is a far superior team. What would you have us say?

"Oh, I'm so thrilled we get to play the University of Washington again, hooray! They try really hard and are better than they were last year! Also I don't think any of them have been convicted of murder, so they must be good guys, which means we should be honored to play them! Hallelujah, I'm so glad I can drop a couple thousand dollars to let my family watch Nebraska beat a 6-6 team two times in one year!"

I've liked every UW fan I've met so far, and will get along with them in San Diego if I go, but don't tell me I have to be excited about this match up.

• Fire 2

Respect is earned my friend, when you get thrown around in your house for 4 quarters and get beat by 35 points by a team you don't get respect. You get laughed at when you are placed in a bowl with the team that already put the hurting on you. I hope for a good game, but this is going to be a pissed off Husker team.

We better respect them because if we come out flat, we will be in a dawgfight. This game will definitely be closer than the first time. There is now a lot of film on our zone read and I don't expect Locker to have another terrible game. Washington will play better for sure...but will we play better? I dunno? Our offense has been uninspiring so would love to see it get on track again! I hope our guys want to go out with 11 wins and a big close to the season...if we lose, it will be meltdown all around. We NEED this win for a successful 2010.

A little about myself, I was born and raised in Grand Island, NE and wound up in Seattle after being stationed on the USS Abraham Lincoln just north in Everett, WA in 2004. I stayed in state to go to college at the University of Washington which is a great institution. I have been championing the classiness of Husker fans to the Husky fans in Seattle and to have them give you a welcoming and enjoyable experience at our stadium, which I believe they delivered.

First off, I'm pretty pissed about these so-called Husker fans out there saying that getting Washington is an insult and they won't even watch the game. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Being both a Husker and Husky, I can tell you this: being a Husker fan is easy, being a Husky fan is hard.

Nebraska has had nothing but fair weather for decades. Washington is a program that has suffered through years of incompetent and/or scandalous coaches who apparently forgot that recruiting was in the job description. Washington hadn't been to a bowl game for eight years. I can assure you there are zero fair weather Husky fans. They are a team coming off an 0-12 season two years ago and through the efforts of a 36 year old second year head coach and the heroic Jake Locker have finally found something resembling success. Jake Locker is the type of guy who gave up a sure top draft pick and millions of dollars to come back to lead his team through hell and lift his program out of the pit and into a bowl game, and by God he did it.

And I'm sick of hearing how UW is "just a 6-6 team." This is a team that played 15 true freshman and underwent six different offensive line shifts due to injury and inexperience. As a result Jake Locker got battered, bruised, and broken-boned and when everybody had given up on a 3-6 team that lost three straight games to blow-outs, he once again put his team on his back and willed them to three straight wins and bowl eligibility. Mind you, this was through the second hardest schedule played by any team in the entire nation (check the Sagarian ratings). They played in a conference with the #1 and #4 teams in the country and finished 3rd in the PAC-10 behind just Oregon and Stanford. Washington didn't get to phone in two free wins against Western Kentucky and South Dakota State. Every non-conference team they played is going to a bowl game. They had to earn each and every one of their six wins. These guys may not be the greatest group of athletes, but they are the best of college players and they deserve your respect.

I remember my first Bowl Game :corndance

All kidding aside grats to Washington finishing out the season to make it bowling. If Nebraska went that many years without a bowl game, its population would of decreased by 50% from there heads exploding.

UW is probably a very nice school, with a respectable program that has had moments of greatness.

That being said, they're going to get the living crap kicked out of them. There is going to be 3 and a 1/2 weeks of letting this boil. I think these kids are going to come out fired up. All the weeks of frustration, being relegated to a lesser bowl against lesser competition, is going to have these kids wanting to come out and lay the wood to someone.

That someone being the UW Huskies.

People were looking at 'Zona last year as an up and coming program, with a lot of promise. We annihilated them. The Huskies team that they're about to face isn't even as good as the 'Zona team we crushed last year.

To say to us, in so many words, that we haven't got any right to be upset?? Then you sir, are sadly mistaken. We've got plenty of reasons to be p*ssed off.

If i'm not mistaken, we've already took you, and that ridiculous looking dude with the mohawk, to the proverbial shed once this year. Are we supposed to be eccstatic about doing that again?

Yeah, we sh*t the bed in 3 games we should have won. Hell yes we're p*ssed about that. This just exacerbates the fact that we're playing you. Do you realize we're 13 points away from playing for the NC??? 13 GODD*MN POINTS!!!!!!!! And we're supposed to be glad to be playing in the same bowl we played last year, against an opponent we whooped up on less than 4 months ago???

My only response to that is HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only concern I have is will our players be motivated enough to play them. We already played them and we are playing them again next year. We got a mid-tier bowl game when we could be playing BCS. I know the seniors will be because it will be their last game but not too sure about everyone else. It will be an interesting game.