Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

The board is turning into "Melrose Place"... Bo is nt leaving yet, i do not believe this is a ploy for more cash... It is just a compliment to our coach that he is mentioned. I believe when him and TO drew up his contract, it was very fair for a first year HC. Also, it was laden with large bonuses for performance. He has received a raise and life is pretty good here. We have not reached the point in our program where Bo would be satisfied to leave us high and dry just yet.

First, if this is "Melrose Place", can I be Dillon. I always want to sleep with Kelli. chuckleshuffle

Next, I really do think that where there is smoke, there is fire (I just made that up).... Bo is talking to Miami, but I would be suprised if he left. I would just feel a heck of a lot better if he makes a public statement tomorrow.

Finally, we ARE an insecure fanbase as suggested in an earlier post. We had the luxury of growing up with TO (most of us anyway)...everything was solid. I really DON'T think our fanbase could "handle" being an OU fan...hell, we freak out over this..Stoops' name comes up almost every year for big-time college and pro ball. Even Ferentz at Iowa gets mentioned at least every other year. We would all die of heart attacks by age 45 if we had to endure this.

Get used to it.

lets face it Bo might have told the coaches, players and recruits but unitl he comes out and tells the media or address the rumor we aren't gonna be satisfied.....

You know Bo better than that. If he has told the players, coaches, and the recruits that is enough for me. Do you really think that Bo would miss an opportunity like this to f**k with the people (media) he hates the most? The media is not entitled to know; therefore Bo will not say anything.

What rumors are you talking about? Let's be clear that rumors and reports are different things, though both have the potential for being wrong. Reports are done by reputable journalists (insert ESPN slam here) that are running with their story because multiple sources close to the situation are telling them something, not because of some message board poster's uncle who washes the teams uniforms. Bo said he doesn't comment on rumors and innuendo, but these are legitimate reports that he has discussed the job with the Miami AD and has even displayed interest in it. I really don't think it's insecure or unreasonable to hold a discussion of these reports and the fact that Bo refuses to refute them. I'm not saying the sky is falling at all, but let's not act like this is the same thing as some anonymous poster starting a rumor. This is a real sports news story that merits discussion.

:laughpound

You're funny. "Real" news story? C'mon! There are two dozen of these "stories" every year when coaches get fired. Each of them cite Coach A, Coach B, Coach C, and various "unnamed sources" that drive readers to websites or TV shows, nothing more. In the end some coach gets hired, and the other five mentioned were never really actively part of the story... but they sold newspapers, they put eyeballs on TV ads, and they put clicks on websites.

Get real. This is as much a "real" news story as anything I Bleed Red ever posted.

Seriously? Okay, I'll explain the difference between rumor and a legitimate news report. A rumor is something that has no real sources close to the story behind it and, as a result, no real reporters like Sipple go on record with it. A report, however, is based on multiple sources close to the situation, which is why sports reporters (like those who write for the Miami Herald) are willing to go on record with those stories. Just because every report does not end up being accurate does not mean that rumor and journalistic reporting are the same thing. I thought this was a pretty basic thing that everyone knew, but maybe our new message board culture doesn't get this distinction.

• Fire 3

lets face it Bo might have told the coaches, players and recruits but unitl he comes out and tells the media or address the rumor we aren't gonna be satisfied.....

You know Bo better than that. If he has told the players, coaches, and the recruits that is enough for me. Do you really think that Bo would miss an opportunity like this to f**k with the people (media) he hates the most? The media is not entitled to know; therefore Bo will not say anything.

It's not just the media he's messing with; it's the University here. Don't you think his employers maybe deserve a little better than having all this stuff out there, when it doesn't need to be?

But on the Gruden point, I feel so sorry for the next Miami coach. After all this talk with all these big time names thrown out there, whoever gets the gig is just going to be set up for failure. They are all gonna be disappointed.

Seriously? Okay, I'll explain the difference between rumor and a legitimate news report. A rumor is something that has no real sources close to the story behind it and, as a result, no real reporters like Sipple go on record with it. A report, however, is based on multiple sources close to the situation, which is why sports reporters (like those who write for the Miami Herald) are willing to go on record with those stories. Just because every report does not end up being accurate does not mean that rumor and journalistic reporting are the same thing. I thought this was a pretty basic thing that everyone knew, but maybe our new message board culture doesn't get this distinction.

The fact that you wrote that and believe it says it all... The stuff your drinking is too strong damn!!!!!!!

It's not just the media he's messing with; it's the University here. Don't you think his employers maybe deserve a little better than having all this stuff out there, when it doesn't need to be?

But on the Gruden point, I feel so sorry for the next Miami coach. After all this talk with all these big time names thrown out there, whoever gets the gig is just going to be set up for failure. They are all gonna be disappointed.

I agree with you Zoogs. I talked to my cousin down in Miami and he said that nobody expects it to be Bo though.

Ok no way in a million years he leaves.. He is from the Big 10 and I dont see him missing out on a chance to coach vs the Big 10, and the fact that he has put 3 years of his blood sweat an tears into this program he wont leave now...

A million years is a bit of a stretch.

The other day Lou Holtz may have made the most intelligent observation of his life in regard to Urban Meyer's resignation. Something to the effect of that as a coach you're either growing or dying and as such it's very hard to stay productive at a program that has plateaued, be it at the bottom, top or somewhere in between. Bo still has plenty of growing to do at Nebraska but I really doubt he'll still be here in 10 years.

http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2009/02/24/an-exceedingly-lengthy-but-useful-look-at-coaching-tenure-in-col/

sPiol.jpg

As you can see, only a small minority of coaches make it to double digit tenure.

This whole board has gone off the deep end. Seriously, rumor thread after rumor thread. Complaining about or worrying about these rumors is pointless. Even if it is true, nothing we say on here changes anything. Let's all take a collective deep breath and calm our nerves here. For the love of all things holy, can we stop adding fuel to the rumor fire. :rant

:moreinteresting

GBR

I was just reading about Bo on the Miami Hurricanes Message Board. They would LOVE to have Bo come to Miami. They said that the AD gave Bo permission to do an interview. Well, we all know that's horse manure.

As for me, why would Bo move his young family to Miami? Nebraska is a perfect place to raise your children. I can't see Bo moving his family all the way from 'down south' (he has already tasted coaching down there) to Nebraska just to leave three short years later? Blah!

I'm sure like all professionals, Bo gets contacted at least once or twice a year to come coach somewhere else. Has Florida called him too? Does he want Urban Meyer's old job? Blah! again.

Why would Bo be out recruiting for Nebraska if he was leaving? It's just like when the Omaha weathermen predict huge snow storms and we get nothin' I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT!

In the meantime........GO BIG RED!

For the love of all things holy, can we stop adding fuel to the rumor fire.

Yes, you have my word. The next time Bo or any person related to the huskers said that a bunch of dudes talking on huskerboard.com was adding fuel to the fire, or in any way suggests members on huskerboard had anything to do with a decision a head coach made to leave or stay, I'll stop talking about it on here.

Until then, I will continue to consider it my right to discuss husker news be it gossip or not, with fellow husker fans on this board. It is after all what I believe these boards are made for.

Is that all right with you?

it been mentioned a time or two, but Bo has a pretty good history with miami's AD. could just be doing the guy a favor, helping him find out what he's really looking for. I can understand why someone would want to interview Bo, he's done about as good of turnaround job that any school could hope for. Even if both sides know he'd never even take the job, they each could walk away from it with a lot.

I dont have a problem with that. I also dont have a problem with this thread being 7 pages long, all the speculation, etc. We drink a lot stronger stuff on our own around here on a regular basis.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5902864

Nebraska denies Bo Pelini report

* Email

* Print

* Comments

ESPN.com news services

LINCOLN, Neb. -- Nebraska's athletic director is denying a report that coach Bo Pelini is a candidate for Miami's coaching job.

Athletic director Tom Osborne told the Lincoln Journal Star that he has not given Pelini permission to speak to Miami about the job, and Pelini says he didn't seek permission to interview for another job. Pelini wouldn't otherwise comment publicly on the report.

Pelini isn't the only coach apparently out of the running for the position.

Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen is no longer being considered for Miami's vacant job, a source close to the situation told ESPN's Bruce Feldman.

Mullen had spoken to Miami officials, who have also interviewed Connecticut coach Randy Edsall and Texas Tech coach Tommy Tuberville, sources told ESPN.com.

Mullen told The Associated Press he hasn't been contacted by anyone about another coaching job and has "no plans on going anywhere," adding the speculation was annoying "because I have to answer things that don't pertain to our football team."

Mullen was in Jacksonville, Fla., on Thursday for a Gator Bowl reception that welcomed coaches before the New Year's Day game. Mullen was joined by Michigan's Rich Rodriguez.

Mullen, who spent four years working for Meyer at Florida, says he has not spoken to his former boss. Mullen sent Meyer a text message wishing him well.

Pelini's Cornhuskers (No. 18 BCS, No. 17 AP) are 10-3 heading into the Dec. 30 Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl game against Washington (6-6).

Miami fired Randy Shannon last month after a 7-5 season.

Pelini and Nebraska football officials didn't immediately return messages left Thursday. A secretary for Osborne said he had told her to tell callers: "There's nothing to comment on."

See Mullen for a nice way to handle this.

and Pelini says he didn't seek permission to interview for another job.

I wonder about this quote. It is from the article that was released last night, it seems, but Pelini was not directly quoted as saying that, and Pelini was also said in the same article to have declined any comment on the matter.

Confusing.

See Mullen for a nice way to handle this.

and Pelini says he didn't seek permission to interview for another job.

I wonder about this quote. It is from the article that was released last night, it seems, but Pelini was not directly quoted as saying that, and Pelini was also said in the same article to have declined any comment on the matter.

Confusing.

I don't think of it as "confusing" so much as I think of it as poor journalism.