Bo looking into the Miami HC Job

epocSoN

In today's day and age- No... TO was pretty coy when he was retiring- remember he said when the planets all align i might step down as head football coach. I have found there is a kernel of truth in most stories, including the salt water aquarium. guy. I have no doubt as a professional courtesy Bo's people may have returned a phone call to the "Miami" people. It might have been for a recommendation. But nobody backs baby into a corner and I think Perlman and company found that out the last 40 hours.

If I had to guess what happened, I'd guess Kirby Hocutt, the Miami AD, called Bo. Based on their relationship, Bo took the call, and without forewarning Bo what the subject was, Hocutt mentioned that he might be/could be/would be interested in having Bo at Miami. My guess is that wouldn't violate any ethics issues (although it would be close on Hocutt's part), nor would it violate Bo's requirement to "get permission" to interview with another school, since this wasn't a formal interview. Hocutt mentioned that he had talked to Bo, and/or Bo mentioned that Hocutt called, and that's how this all got started.

Tom wouldn't have given Bo permission, and really, permission wasn't needed. Bo never interviewed, but did have a conversation in which it was brought up, which is why he's wording his statements this way. Bo didn't precipitate the conversation, Bo didn't infer that he was going or considering going, and everything just snowballed because Bo treated it like the nothing it was, when everyone wanted a firm denial.

That's my guess as to what happened.

Stick a fork in this story. It's dead. Let it rest.

The story does appear to be quite dead, but the aftermath of Miami-gate leaves some questions, which I felt would be better to contain in this thread, rather than having another one, or several others. Also, there are 12 pages of back-and-forth commentary here that people may want to finish up on that aren't directly related to the rumor.

Here's hoping this isn't a mistake on my part.

Just got off facebook and was browsing aaron green's profile. His status this morning basically said that he was freaking out about the Bo Pelini deal. He said he hopes he doesn't leave or he's going to do the whole recruiting deal over again. Pelini leaving would absolutely devastating to the program.

NEBRASKANHEAT -I understand the maintaining an appearance that you're still doing your job, but in this case why? If you're having backroom dealings as it is, why not just fabricate a reason for not going on a recruiting trip?

Moot discussion anyways. As it seems as though he's staying on.

Email I received from Media Relations:

University of Nebraska Head Football Coach Bo Pelini and Athletic Director Tom Osborne issued the following statements on Friday:

Head Coach Bo Pelini

“The reports that I am preparing to interview at the University of Miami are false. I will not have any additional comment on this matter or any other rumors.”

Athletic Director Tom Osborne

“Bo has done an excellent job of leading our football program at Nebraska over the past three years. We’re looking forward to having Bo and our coaching staff lead our team in the Holiday Bowl and as we transition into the Big Ten next year.”

Media Note: There will be no media availability at today’s practice. The first media availability will be on Monday. A complete schedule of media availability leading up to Holiday Bowl will be available on Monday.

Matt Smith

Assistant Media Relations Director

University of Nebraska

402-472-7780 (office)

402-770-5926 (cell)

If I had to guess what happened, I'd guess Kirby Hocutt, the Miami AD, called Bo. Based on their relationship, Bo took the call, and without forewarning Bo what the subject was, Hocutt mentioned that he might be/could be/would be interested in having Bo at Miami. My guess is that wouldn't violate any ethics issues (although it would be close on Hocutt's part), nor would it violate Bo's requirement to "get permission" to interview with another school, since this wasn't a formal interview. Hocutt mentioned that he had talked to Bo, and/or Bo mentioned that Hocutt called, and that's how this all got started.

Tom wouldn't have given Bo permission, and really, permission wasn't needed. Bo never interviewed, but did have a conversation in which it was brought up, which is why he's wording his statements this way. Bo didn't precipitate the conversation, Bo didn't infer that he was going or considering going, and everything just snowballed because Bo treated it like the nothing it was, when everyone wanted a firm denial.

That's my guess as to what happened.

I would also add that perhaps when the story broke it caught Bo off guard a little so he simply refused to comment until he had a chance to talk it over with TO and get their stories straight.

My "inside source" has given me a bit of info.

Hocutt called Bo, Bo took it not exactly knowing what he wanted to talk about since they know each other. Hocutt and Bo exchanged the normal family things going on, and Hocutt brought up needing to hire a new coach. He asked Pelini if he had any recommendations, Pelini gave him some info on people he's worked with and may be good candidates to interview. Eventually Hocutt quit beating around the bush, and basically asked Pelini if he might be interested. Pelini basically eventually told him thanks, but no thanks. So, Hocutt was trying to pull a coup, but he was also interested in recommendations.

Bo will be back, and really with the players we have, the ones redshirted and the ones coming in, I don't know why in the hell he would want to leave. He spent alot of blood, sweat, and tears into getting his players, and now coming round to his 4th year is when this really becomes his baby!!!! I'm telling you all now, we are going to be a "powerful player" for years to come if we can just find some offense.