Potential OC, post-Watson

Roark

1. Bo has input into the offense, but I can't imagine this is the offense he wants. This is some unsightly west coast/spread option hybrid that seems to be the result of two different philosophies and identities clashing.

2. As for Mike Leach... people complain about Bo Pelini not fitting the mold of what a Nebraska coach should look like, and now we're talking about Mike Leach?! Furthermore, I think it's a bad idea to build a pass-happy offense at a school with a tradition in smashmouth football, in a state that breeds offensive lineman and not wide receivers, and in a climate that is often windy, and come November is less than friendly to a "fun n' gun" offense.

3. I think Nebraska is a great program, but "top tier" is defined differently by lots of people. Nebraska has not won a national championship since 1997. Since then, Oklahoma, Texas, Florida State, Miami, Florida, LSU, Alabama, USC, Tennessee, and Ohio State have won national championships. Auburn or Oregon will soon join that list. Current recruits don't know about 1990's Nebraska. They don't know who Tommie Frazier is - when they think of #15, they think of Tim Tebow. Nebraska hasn't won a conference championship since 1999 and any current high school recruit (save those from Nebraska) can't remember the last time we beat Texas.

Does Nebraska have great facilities? Sure, but not any better than probably 20 or so other schools. Does Nebraska have great support from the administration? Well, our head coach was just publicly admonished by our chancellor, and our coaches' salaries are pretty average compared to the rest of our conference. Do we have great fan support? Well, we'll show up to every game, and you'll be on a bigger stage than any other college football coach in America, but we're also not that loud and we'll treat a 10-3 season like most schools treat a 5-7 season.

So, why do we say we are a "top tier" school? I mean, I think Nebraska is special, but basically what made us special in the past was that we were in the national title conversation most years from 1970-2001. Now, it's been 13 years since we've won a national championship, and Oregon has officially passed us up as a college football powerhouse, so I'm not sure how much more we can keep throwing our name around with those other schools until we actually win some kind of championship (other than the Big 12 north division).

I don't really want one of those "top tier" OC's people are talking about (and even if I did, I don't think we'd get him) unless there's one out there who is 100% committed to a physical running game. I don't care if we get some 5* OC with 18 years of playcalling experience. Let's just get the Rex Burkhead of OC's in here, whose offense is going to reflect the personality of our defense (and of Burkhead): Fast, physical, smart, and disciplined.

Excellent read. Let's remember that we are headed to the Big 10 and an entirely different type, i.e., old school NU, offense will be needed to compete. That's not to say that a strong passing game is not needed, it will be, but not the Leach school of thought. I would love a backfield full of "Rexes" -- one to run, one for screens and one that can knock you on your butt, even if you are a 300 lb. lineman. We need diversity, but solid ground rules, not wide open "fun-n-gun". T-Magic will never be healthy. Too many hits from huge lineman.

Mike Leach would never be an OC ever again. Looks like Maryland will be his next destination as a Head Coach. As for who is the OC when/if watson leaves, it most likely would be Coach Beck, with Jeff Simms hired to coach the RB's.

Agreed. Maryland is going to take Leach. As for a previous post mentioning Chow, Neuheisel said he Chow is on the hot seat. It would be great to get Chow. I think he could run our offense, even though we are a spread based team we still use power run principles. Also, given the opportunity I believe Chow would do an excellent job developing our QB passing game. If we can get him, we should snag him.

But it looks like Beck is going to be our guy, and he was probably brought here with the promise of being the next OC. I doubt he made a lateral move just to be nice to Bo.

I'm sure this is a name that almost no one is familar with, and I bet there is only a .1% chance that we would even look at this guy. But I think Beau Baldwin would be a great snag. He is the head coach at Eastern Washington. The guy knows how to win and might take a lower coaching job at a higher level.

I've heard Beck has already been given the reigns as the QB coach effective immediately. And I think this points toward Bo (and TO) getting an OC who is compatible with Beck as a co-offensive coordinator next year.

I've also heard a few rumblings about Tulsa's OC, Chad Morris, who in his first year there already has Tulsa in the top 10 in overall offense. Here's a link to his bio - linky.

I would like to see Chad Morris, especially if he is interested in coming here. Morris as OC/WR? Beck as OC/QB? Sims as RB? Or maybe Beck getting the QB duties for now isn't a permanent move. Seems to raise that possibility though. If Morris came here, it would make more sense for him to be OC/QB.

Scott Frost. We already copy Oregon's offense and nobody has a better knowledge of it. Easy transition, popular among fans, keeps our recruiting ties to the west coast, and would be a good mentor to a young QB.

I dont see Scott coming back, rumor is him and Pelini dont see eye-to-eye. But, I would love to have him back home where he belongs.

Scott Frost. We already copy Oregon's offense and nobody has a better knowledge of it. Easy transition, popular among fans, keeps our recruiting ties to the west coast, and would be a good mentor to a young QB.

Like I have said in numerous threads where people mention Scott Frost, Mike Grant (yes former NU QB) has done more in his coaching career then Frost has and with a lot less mind you. Anything he did with the WR corp while at Iowa State trumps ANYTHING Frost has done as a coach.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24292&SPID=1922&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=1413825&Q_SEASON=2010

• Fire 1

I dont see Scott coming back, rumor is him and Pelini dont see eye-to-eye. But, I would love to have him back home where he belongs.

Scott wanted a job when Pelini came on board on the defensive side, didn't work out, obviously.

Just because Frost coaches WR's at Oregon, doesn't mean he could install it here and run it with success. He's NEVER installed an offensive scheme as a coach, never called plays, never prepared a game plan. Of course he would possibly have both Beck and Cotton on staff who have done those things, and would have TO to lean on, but I don't think Bo's willing to take a chance with that. Heck, Tommie Frazier was a great QB and has had more years of experience on an offensive staff than Frost, lets call him up for OC.

I would like to see Chad Morris, especially if he is interested in coming here. Morris as OC/WR? Beck as OC/QB? Sims as RB? Or maybe Beck getting the QB duties for now isn't a permanent move. Seems to raise that possibility though. If Morris came here, it would make more sense for him to be OC/QB.

I like this one. The recruiting upside here is huge. He took Tulsa back from a down year to 500+ ypg this year. Not a lot of experience at the college level, so he'd probably certainly be open to a co-offfensive coordinator position...as would Beck I'd assume.

Most of Beck's Kansas experience was at WR. Give him the OC/WR position, and Morris the OC/QB. Sims are RB would be fine - but what do you do w/ Brown? Having him as just a TE coach seems like kind of a waste of tallent to me.

Like I have said in numerous threads where people mention Scott Frost, Mike Grant (yes former NU QB) has done more in his coaching career then Frost has and with a lot less mind you. Anything he did with the WR corp while at Iowa State trumps ANYTHING Frost has done as a coach.

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24292&SPID=1922&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=1413825&Q_SEASON=2010

Disagree. Look at some of the minds that Frost has played for/coached with: Osborne, Walsh, Kelly, Belotti....

With that said, I'm not sure Frost is ready to be an OC yet, but I'd like to see him back. I also have heard that he and Bo don't see eye to eye.

With that being said, how about a guy that is close, someone who knows a little about offense, a guy we could get for next to nothing, a guy who we know loves Nebraska

Dr. Tom Osborne

Home to him is always going to be in the PAC 10/12. Remember the Orange Bowl where he flat out said he wished he could have done this for Stanford.