I'll Start the Fire Watson Thread

** necrobump **

Cards 33

Gators* 23

* No. 5 total defense in FBS. LINK

Boy, it's a good thing we got rid of that guy. /facepalm

You have got to be kidding with this. Talk about your typical over reaction. The guy had more than ample time here at Nebraska to prove his worth. In my opinion, and quite a few others opinions I might add the guy couldn't get it done. I didn't like his approach, and more importantly I didn't like the fact that he never could get a great QB to come play here. He sure as hell never had a Bridgewater when he was here. Also, if you actually watch their games it's not exactly coming easynformthem all the time. That Quarterback is just a freak and makes plays all the time.

I wouldn't take Watson back over Beck for anything. It amazes me how strong Nebraska's offense was this year and now we have people regretting getting rid of Watson? Unreal.

I give Watson some love because while he was here, he was at least making attempts at change and getting it to work. Whether it was demand from bo or his own intuition, the drastic offensive simplificatoin in '09 and the pistol looks and zone reads in '10 showed that we trying to adjust. The thing is, especially after 2009, he knew as well as anyone he wasnt appreciated here anymore and like any job in the world, how hard are you going to work if you know youre gonna be overwhelmingly hated.

I wanted Watson gone as well as anyone. It was just obvious to me that his strenths as a playcaller and coordinator did not match well with what Nebraska as a program has to do to get the necassary athletes. Like Osborne using the option until the end, we have to do something unique to get those great players that not a lot of poeple want becuase they run a more familiar/conventional system. Like Tommie Frazier coming here cuz we were one of few that wanted him as a qb. I think Bo quickly understood that we had to start developing a uniqueness on offense with athletes playing qb rather than qb's playing qb. It became pretty evident from the major inconsistencies in 2010, that the direction we were going that Watson just didnt fit well.

** necrobump **

Cards 33

Gators* 23

* No. 5 total defense in FBS. LINK

Boy, it's a good thing we got rid of that guy. /facepalm

You have got to be kidding with this. Talk about your typical over reaction. The guy had more than ample time here at Nebraska to prove his worth. In my opinion, and quite a few others opinions I might add the guy couldn't get it done. I didn't like his approach, and more importantly I didn't like the fact that he never could get a great QB to come play here. He sure as hell never had a Bridgewater when he was here. Also, if you actually watch their games it's not exactly coming easynformthem all the time. That Quarterback is just a freak and makes plays all the time.

I wouldn't take Watson back over Beck for anything. It amazes me how strong Nebraska's offense was this year and now we have people regretting getting rid of Watson? Unreal.

Who wants to take back Watson over Beck? See the quoted part below. That's how I feel.

The whole coaching search thing is just so painful and disruptive for a program. Of course it's not such a big deal for position coaches as it is for a HC. Replacing a coordinator is probably someplace in between, painwise. With a DC or OC you're probably gonna install a new system and--depending upon the new guy--it may take a couple of years to gain traction. With Beck we hit a homerun. He'd been here, knew our system and our strengths, and he was able to tweak things to improve on what Wats had been doing. Sure, it's easy to look back now at the success. But at the time we ran Watson off there was a lot of uncertainty as to whether we'd be better or not.

I bumped this thread because two years ago there were quite a few people acting like jackasses, saying that Watson was a total bum. He's not. That should be clear from last night with what his offense did against Florida, shouldn't it?

As it turned out, we hit a homerun with Beck. He's done a fantastic job in his first couple years as OC. But back when we ran Watson off we didn't know whether the next guy would be any better or not. And Watson probably wasn't as bad as most people made him out to be. That's all I'm saying.

I was just trying to give Shawn Watson some props for a job well done last night.

/edit: I toned down my dick response to True's post. A bit of an overreaction on my part. My bad. :lol:

I give Watson some love because while he was here, he was at least making attempts at change and getting it to work. Whether it was demand from bo or his own intuition, the drastic offensive simplificatoin in '09 and the pistol looks and zone reads in '10 showed that we trying to adjust. The thing is, especially after 2009, he knew as well as anyone he wasnt appreciated here anymore and like any job in the world, how hard are you going to work if you know youre gonna be overwhelmingly hated.

I wanted Watson gone as well as anyone. It was just obvious to me that his strenths as a playcaller and coordinator did not match well with what Nebraska as a program has to do to get the necassary athletes. Like Osborne using the option until the end, we have to do something unique to get those great players that not a lot of poeple want becuase they run a more familiar/conventional system. Like Tommie Frazier coming here cuz we were one of few that wanted him as a qb. I think Bo quickly understood that we had to start developing a uniqueness on offense with athletes playing qb rather than qb's playing qb. It became pretty evident from the major inconsistencies in 2010, that the direction we were going that Watson just didnt fit well.

I agree with most of your post except the part about our offense we're running now being unique. It is true that TO ran an offense very few did which is why we got a player like Frazier. However, we aren't doing this anymore. A lot of teams run something similar to what we do. Even in the B1G, there are QB's that could step in and run our offense like Miller at OSU and even Shoelace at Michigan. We may have different wrinkles, but a lot of teams now are in search of a dual threat QB. As more and more dual threat QB's have success in the NFL, it's going to get even more competitive recruiting them to Nebraska.

I agree with most of your post except the part about our offense we're running now being unique. It is true that TO ran an offense very few did which is why we got a player like Frazier. However, we aren't doing this anymore. A lot of teams run something similar to what we do. Even in the B1G, there are QB's that could step in and run our offense like Miller at OSU and even Shoelace at Michigan. We may have different wrinkles, but a lot of teams now are in search of a dual threat QB. As more and more dual threat QB's have success in the NFL, it's going to get even more competitive recruiting them to Nebraska.

I see our offense as pretty unique. We do a little bit of everything. Multiple-or as some like to call it, "jack of all trades, master of none". We can go spread option/zone read on one play, then come back with conventional I PA pass the next. Use the ISO toss and then go back to spread gun for a deep pass. Then throw in that we do it all at a very fast tempo with all the freedom in the world for the qb to make checks and changes at the LOS, and I consider it pretty unique. I think it allows us to utilize the different types of players we have. Here at Nebraska, when we have the chance to nab a high talent recruit, we have to get him, regardless how well he fits the system. I think our multiplicity makes good use of this. Look at our TE situation this year. Ben Cotton was more of a conventional, big blocking type TE and Kyler Reed was more of a spread look, athletic type of TE. I dont see many, if any at all, other teams doing the numerous different things we do in a single game and then proceed to do it at the tempo we run.

I have always like Watson. Did I believe he didn't fit here... yes. He is a great guy and a great QB coach. His system was too complicated for the simple type of offense we run here at Nebraska. What I mean complicated, is how he ran his receivers. You also have to look at why Watson has the success he does right now. That success is... Teddy Bridgewater! That kid is a play maker with great decision making. Not only that, the kid has heart and won't let anything come between him and the game called football. He played a lot this year with 2 fractured ribs and a sprained ankle, where they still won games. A reminder of the QB's we have had in our program, including Taylor. Without Bridgewater, I don't think he would have the same success.

In other words...

Beck>Watson

I'm not gonna lie....I definitely prefer Beck over Watson. Watson is a solid OC, no doubt about it, but I can tell you this....that more than 50% of the time....I believe NEB could and would score 33 points or more against this year's Florida defense. Yes, I just made that statement. NEB's offense is THAT good. As we all know, the aspect that holds this offense back is turnovers. Period.

I'm not gonna lie....I definitely prefer Beck over Watson. Watson is a solid OC, no doubt about it, but I can tell you this....that more than 50% of the time....I believe NEB could and would score 33 points or more against this year's Florida defense. Yes, I just made that statement. NEB's offense is THAT good. As we all know, the aspect that holds this offense back is turnovers. Period.

Limiting the turnovers and penalties, and our offense gives Oregon's a run for the money. Yes I said it. I just went full retard. we'd average well over 40ppg.

Limiting the turnovers and penalties, and our offense gives Oregon's a run for the money. Yes I said it. I just went full retard. we'd average well over 40ppg.

Sam Mckewon said that same thing about NEB's offense before the season started. He stated that if TMart gets better (which he did in most areas, not all) and if the offensive line holds up (did more times than not) that NEB would have a scary offense. An offense that averages 40ppg. This offense WILL MORE THAN LIKELY get SCARIER next season and I can't wait.

Sam Mckewon said that same thing about NEB's offense before the season started. He stated that if TMart gets better (which he did in most areas, not all) and if the offensive line holds up (did more times than not) that NEB would have a scary offense. An offense that averages 40ppg. This offense WILL MORE THAN LIKELY get SCARIER next season and I can't wait.

You both remember a thread I started about two months ago, where I stated I thought we had one of the best offenses in the nation and the harping I got? I think we would fare VERY well with Oregon offensively. Defensively is another story, but their defense isn't the best either lol.

This year's offense is the best I have seen in a VERY long time, if ever. What made us win our Championships and Conference Championships, was defense.

You both remember a thread I started about two months ago, where I stated I thought we had one of the best offenses in the nation and the harping I got? I think we would fare VERY well with Oregon offensively. Defensively is another story, but their defense isn't the best either lol.

This year's offense is the best I have seen in a VERY long time, if ever. What made us win our Championships and Conference Championships, was defense.

I really hope NEB gets better on D. If NEB does....next season NEB could be looking at a possible BCS game. Seriously.

I think you could possiable be correct if we had a better OL. The skill position talent is there, the OL/coaching....not so much.

I see our offense as pretty unique. We do a little bit of everything. Multiple-or as some like to call it, "jack of all trades, master of none". We can go spread option/zone read on one play, then come back with conventional I PA pass the next. Use the ISO toss and then go back to spread gun for a deep pass. Then throw in that we do it all at a very fast tempo with all the freedom in the world for the qb to make checks and changes at the LOS, and I consider it pretty unique. I think it allows us to utilize the different types of players we have. Here at Nebraska, when we have the chance to nab a high talent recruit, we have to get him, regardless how well he fits the system. I think our multiplicity makes good use of this. Look at our TE situation this year. Ben Cotton was more of a conventional, big blocking type TE and Kyler Reed was more of a spread look, athletic type of TE. I dont see many, if any at all, other teams doing the numerous different things we do in a single game and then proceed to do it at the tempo we run.

While all being true, you could run our offense with several QB's just in the B1G. Minnesota, Northwestern, Ohio State, and Michigan all have QB's that could step right in and run our offense. When Frazier was running our offense, there were very few teams nationally let alone in the conference that had QB's that could step in and run the same offense. Can you think of any other QB in the country that could have taken the ball to the house like Frazier did against Florida in the NC game? We ran power option football when the west coast and such were the flavor of the month. There's a lot of teams running the spread and zone read today. The dual threat QB's we have gotten have primarily occurred because they were seen as being too raw by other programs. Cody Green missed a year of high school ball due to injury. Turner and Carnes are now receivers. Even Martinez was used as a receiver on the scout team his redshirt year.