I'll Start the Fire Watson Thread

If no coaching changes are made after these sorry performances,

it's proof positive that the HC and AD value personal

loyalty to their staffs over the long term success

of the team. In business, which is what a D1 football program

is these days, this is called "cronyism".

They should then expect to bear the consequences

for those choices as Frank and Callahan eventually did.

Agreed, except Frank bore the responsibility even after he cleaned house. Pelini's career now has a life meter. If he sticks with Watson, I'd give him 2-3 seasons before he either leaves of his own volition or his ran out of town. He's trying to run in Watsgrove quicksand. Either he'll make the smart move and get himself out or be sucked under with him.

If no coaching changes are made after these sorry performances,

it's proof positive that the HC and AD value personal

loyalty to their staffs over the long term success

of the team. In business, which is what a D1 football program

is these days, this is called "cronyism".

They should then expect to bear the consequences

for those choices as Frank and Callahan eventually did.

Agreed, except Frank bore the responsibility even after he cleaned house. Pelini's career now has a life meter. If he sticks with Watson, I'd give him 2-3 seasons before he either leaves of his own volition or his ran out of town. He's trying to run in Watsgrove quicksand. Either he'll make the smart move and get himself out or be sucked under with him.

Remember it was Dr. Tom who dictated to Frank that he had to retain all of his assistants.

That's why Frank waited with "too little too late". Osbourne's personal loyalty to his aging assistants rather

than the program led directly to the Callahan Debacle. Let's not do this again. Please?

I was saying this, the very first minute it was known Cotton was going to be the o-line coach... "Get rid of Cotton now!" It was obvious to me long ago Cotton wasn't going to cut it as the line coach and this year just amplified that 10 fold! Totally inexcusable the way our line has played all year, not just the last 4 games! The lack of discipline alone for the last 3 years told me that Cotton isnt a good coach! FIRED!!!!!!

As for Watson, keeping him on in order to avoid revamping both sides of the ball when Pelini was hired i can understand... but now its beyond repair! The offense is now where we found our defense when Pelini was hired! In total disarray and a complete embarrasment! Watson... FIRED!!!!!!!

Well looks like Miami Ohio hired somebody else instead of Watson for the head coach position......F&%$

Wouldn't you as well? You watch that game or any of the last 3 for NU and you see the same 3 plays over and over and over. I wouldn't want him running my schools band practice let alone the football team.

*disclaimer I HATE SHAWN WATSON

This has become ridiculous. We can't even give that POS away. For crying out loud, can we pay a school to take him off our hands?

Can I get a show of hands from any Watson supporters left out there? Serious question: Zoogies, etc., have you guys finally seen the light or are you staying in the trenches?

Man, I will never understand the hate that Watson gets.

The circumstances we had on offense sucked this year. If there's one thing I'll criticize him for, it's for not standing up to Bo and telling him to go shove it when Bo tried to dictate QB starters.

That said, I doubt Watson will be around to oversee the fixing of the offense. Should he? Given the evident disconnect between him and the head coach, there's no question he shouldn't. It is an either/or situation at this point and I will take our HC in that situation. I just hope our HC wises up and does this differently, because this was his own doing, as well. I have been considering this a moot point for a few weeks now, under the assumption (which I still hold) that Watson is gone regardless. I wish him the best of luck installing his WCO somewhere else, because it is not going to fit in here, for better or for worse. And the ZR/WCO experiment? Who knows, but it isn't going to get a chance at Nebraska.

Keller was a talent that was poisonous to the 2007 team, and I am starting to feel the same way about Taylor. Bo can get off that ship before it sinks him.

Man, I will never understand the hate that Watson gets.

The circumstances we had on offense sucked this year. If there's one thing I'll criticize him for, it's for not standing up to Bo and telling him to go shove it when Bo tried to dictate QB starters.

That said, I doubt Watson will be around to oversee the fixing of the offense. Should he? Given the evident disconnect between him and the head coach, there's no question he shouldn't. It is an either/or situation at this point and I will take our HC in that situation. I just hope our HC wises up and does this differently, because this was his own doing, as well. I have been considering this a moot point for a few weeks now, under the assumption (which I still hold) that Watson is gone regardless. I wish him the best of luck installing his WCO somewhere else, because it is not going to fit in here, for better or for worse. And the ZR/WCO experiment? Who knows, but it isn't going to get a chance at Nebraska.

Keller was a talent that was poisonous to the 2007 team, and I am starting to feel the same way about Taylor. Bo can get off that ship before it sinks him.

You will never understand it? He is the man in charge of an offense that is totally inept. Why don't you understand that everything starts up top? You are 100% right in that he is not the only problem on offense: there are coaches and players who have blood on their hands as well. And you are also right that Pelini is part of the problem. Except that, in case you haven't noticed, Pelini has a huge upside which is producing top 10 defenses year in and year out.

Watson's sole purpose, on the other hand, is to produce a quality offense. He has failed miserably the past two years. It's not that he was mediocre; it was a complete and total failure in every sense of the word. As much as you complain about Bo forcing Martinez on Watson, what were the alternatives? Green and Lee, both of whom Watson had at his disposal in 2009, in which he produced one of the worst offenses in he history of Division 1 football? Maybe you can forgive Pelini for thinking that you can't expect to do the same thing twice and get different results the second time. Like a trick play, he gambled on Martinez. The gamble failed, definitely. But you fail to recognize that it was Watson's abject failure as a coach that put Pelini in a desperate situation in which, much like the 4th and 10 on our own 20, you might make decisions that you wouldn't under better circumstances.

Rex fumbled, fire Beck :lol:

Those things are all on Taylor, and whoever started him. I told anyone who would listen before the season started that Taylor was not ready to be a QB at this level. All I got back was 'explosive running blah blah blah.' Doesn't overrule everything. Particularly when he can't do that well anymore either, due to injury or whatever it is.

Same here. I made it 100% clear when T-ragic was selected as the starter he was not the best QB on the team. At that time the sunshine pumpers said I was wrong and that the coaches know what they are doing. Clearly I wasn't at all wrong and neither were you zoogies.

Yeah right, like last year's Z. Lee led offense was any better? They both failed miserably.

The problem is "coaching", not the players.

Look what the 2007 blackshirts looked like. Bring in good coaching and "poof" they're kicking ass & taking names. We just desperately need competent coaching on that side of the ball.