Texas just screwed the B12

da skers

I can't find it right now, but we were exploring the viability of our own channel a while ago. Like last year, or within the last few years.

It's not evil that Texas did this, or that anyone else wants to. It's good business. I'd love to have a Husker channel. I'd watch more TV, that's for sure.

• Fire 2

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/highereducation/entries/2011/01/19/ut_espn_reach_20year_300_milli.html

The University of Texas has struck a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN for a new, 24-hour network that will broadcast Longhorn sports and some non-athletic content such as campus musical performances.

They'll get their share of the B12 moneys which will be anywhere from 15-20 million and now an estimated 12.5 million from Bevo TV. But what this really does is weaken the B12 TV deal next time it is negotiated. ESPN will already have the rights to Texas and besides OU there really isn't a TV draw left. This will totally screw the B12 and any chance they could have a B12 network. This is why they wouldn't sign their TV rights over to the B12. I look for them to go independent in the next 2-5 years now and screw the B12 even more.

I hope KU's talks with the Big East continue and they get to say "see ya" on their own terms.

No surprise here. I'm sure Dr. Tom saw this coming a mile away.

I can't find it right now, but we were exploring the viability of our own channel a while ago. Like last year, or within the last few years.

It's not evil that Texas did this, or that anyone else wants to. It's good business. I'd love to have a Husker channel. I'd watch more TV, that's for sure.

Maybe this is good business, but I would have truly enjoyed the Big 12 Network, much more than I'd enjoy a Nebraska network. Wouldn't have made as much money for Texas, but it would have made more money for the conference in general. I also would have sincerely enjoyed watching the other non-sports programming from Nebraska and the other universities. It would have been fantastic publicity for those departments, and the interaction between university departments would have increased tenfold after being able to see on television what their conference partners were up to.

Maybe this is good business, but I would have truly enjoyed the Big 12 Network, much more than I'd enjoy a Nebraska network. Wouldn't have made as much money for Texas, but it would have made more money for the conference in general. I also would have sincerely enjoyed watching the other non-sports programming from Nebraska and the other universities. It would have been fantastic publicity for those departments, and the interaction between university departments would have increased tenfold after being able to see on television what their conference partners were up to.

You'd think between the football and the basketball, the Big XII Network would have made enough money to support showing all the other interconference sports.

umm...most are forgetting that texas has to play opponents for this contract. sure, they got their name on the masthead...but its not like they can just air the other schools in sports they play without providing them some compensation. in fact, it will likely televise games in various sports that would have otherwise never been televised, and let others able to watch it. its not like youre going to have to have the texas channel to watch longhorn football live versus whoever-yet...ill get to this later...

you dont think the schools that play notre dame that wouldnt otherwise be televised nationally dont make money and benefit, because of notre dames contract with NBC? puh-lease.

does it prove what we thought about texas all along? sure. but can you blame them? hardly. they would be fools not to take it. all in all, the big ten network is hard to watch at most times of the day...this is one school...theyre going to have to dazzle even more, or not. its not important. they have a channel on your sports dial now that says TEXAS. period.

what you all should be worried about is the who they signed the contract with....who is in control of these games, who broadcasts them and has the rights...

ESPN is the true devil here, folks.

monday night football? most bowl games?

where are they at?

How many of you have the Big Ten network already?

*raises hand*

Actually, they don't do too bad a job on the network. Better than some, worse than some others. All in all, as long as Nebraska gets more air time for its sports, there's little to complain about.

what you all should be worried about is the who they signed the contract with....who is in control of these games, who broadcasts them and has the rights...ESPN is the true devil here, folks.monday night football? most bowl games? where are they at?

ESPN is and has been firmly lodged in Texas' colorectal system, as well as the collective recti (made-up word ;) ) of the SEC.

What's funny is that the Big 1210 schools think they'll get SEC money ($20 million/yr.), when they don't even have enough quality teams or media market size to beat the ACC, who signed a deal with ESPN to get approx. $15.5 million/school. Frankly, the Big 1210 will be lucky to net $14 million/school, which will be better than now, but it will pale in comparison to the projected $22-23 million of the SEC and $23-24 million of the Big 10.

Plus, everyone keeps talking as if Fox (not just Fox Sports, but the broadcast channel Fox) is using their Pac-12 and Big 10 championship game victories to propel them into discussions when the Pac-12 and Big 10 ESPN/ABC contracts are over in two/three years. Fox is looking to invest in College football, as it's strike-proof (unlike the NFL) and they can better leverage their Fox Sports and Big 10 Network channel assets for experienced college football analysts.

ESPN is throwing out bags of money now to schools like Texas to get their foot in the door. So when (not if) Texas goes independent, Mickey may be doing battle with Media Corp. for TV rights, but it won't get nasty (read: expensive) like it will with the Pac-12/Big 10 battles looming because ESPN can leverage an existing asset (BevoTV) to keep costs down.

How many of you have the Big Ten network already?

*raises hand*

Actually, they don't do too bad a job on the network. Better than some, worse than some others. All in all, as long as Nebraska gets more air time for its sports, there's little to complain about.

I wonder if the Big 10 Network will show prior Nebraska games this summer in its "Big10 Greatest Games" or "Big 10 Replay" (Usually Bowl games from the PY)? These games will usually get you through a long summer and pumped up for the upcoming season. They do show old Penn State games from before they joined the Big10.