Texas Recruiting

Just was thinking listening to interview with Charles Jackson and David Santos on 1620 about our future Texas recruiting. I have to think that Bo and TO have to be thinking about how they will get into Texas in the future and get recruits to come up since we have moved to the big 10.

Anyways, I have to think it's going to be pretty important that we start to schedule some OOC games in Texas, whether with SMU, Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, Texas, A&M, etc. I think it might become important to have at least one OOC game in Texas at least every other year if not every year. Might have to start doing more of our OOC games with Texas teams, could have home and home with two different different schools in same years opposite of each other.

Just wondering what others think about this.

Not only does Oregon recruit well in Texas, so does Purdue, Iowa, and Michigan has as well. Tim Beck, and JP are the ones that will keep Nebraskas foot in the doorway in Texas. They have worked their tailes off the past two years in Texas, and it will payoff for us in the long and short run. Way to go Coaches!!

I don't think we will fall of the map with recruiting in Texas. Our coaches have built great relationships with coaches down there and that will continue to benefit us.Oregon recruits very well in Texas and they do not play games there.

This. Tim Beck is well liked all over the Metro Plex area that burps out talent left and right every year.

I'd like to see OOC series with Texas teams every so often. Even though I don't care much for the Whorns personally, I have to admit that UT has a great program. There are several other good fb programs in the state. The state of Texas is important to college football. For the recruits coming out of the state, and the FBS teams that are there.

Tim Beck addressed this very issue with the North Texas Nebraskans prior to the 2011 season.

IIRC, his answer was the same that others provided--it's more about the relationships than the conference affiliation (treating high school ADs and coaches with respect pays dividends, especially of the 'diamond in the rough' variety), and Nebraska has historically recruited Texas well even before the Big XII came into existence.

Considering the sizable contingent of Nebraska fans in Texas--more so than Baylor fans if the 2009 game was to be believed, and extremely sizable in the DFW area alone--I don't think this will be a problem.

Having said that, I do agree that Dr. Tom should be active in attempting to reschedule some of our OOCs games into Texas--Jerry Jones is hurting for cash since the Cowboys have gone tits up when opening his new pleasure dome, and a reasonable offer to relocate any of our quality conference or OOC games there (e.g UCLA, Tennessee, Miami) would likely be met with open arms and wallets large enough to offset the revenue concern in losing a home game.

The Best way to Recruit well in Texas is to Win Games ....... the connections will stay as long as the W's stay on the board.

yup. i'm all for having semi-regular non-con games in texas, but playing down there isn't nearly as important as being a name brand program (by winning games) and having good relationships. we have always recruited texas, long before the big 12 existed. that isn't going to change.

Tim Beck addressed this very issue with the North Texas Nebraskans prior to the 2011 season.

IIRC, his answer was the same that others provided--it's more about the relationships than the conference affiliation (treating high school ADs and coaches with respect pays dividends, especially of the 'diamond in the rough' variety), and Nebraska has historically recruited Texas well even before the Big XII came into existence.

Considering the sizable contingent of Nebraska fans in Texas--more so than Baylor fans if the 2009 game was to be believed, and extremely sizable in the DFW area alone--I don't think this will be a problem.

Having said that, I do agree that Dr. Tom should be active in attempting to reschedule some of our OOCs games into Texas--Jerry Jones is hurting for cash since the Cowboys have gone tits up when opening his new pleasure dome, and a reasonable offer to relocate any of our quality conference or OOC games there (e.g UCLA, Tennessee, Miami) would likely be met with open arms and wallets large enough to offset the revenue concern in losing a home game.

I agree there is something to be gained by playing in Texas, but it would suck to play any of the above mentioned quality OOC opponents in Jerry's World as opposed to seeing them play in Lincoln. A 9 game conference schedule is going to change things in OOC scheduling.