So what I'm gathering is that all the time, right under our very noses, the solution to this offensive catastrophe was right there, like a crouching tiger, or a hidden dragon. We must be the luckiest chaps in Las Vegas.

Well if that solution didn't have the authority to call plays, make scheme adjustments, design the offense, etc. then I am not sure you can hold him accountable or lump him in with the failure. I am sure Beck provided insight, just not sure how much was incorporated or used. I also think that Bo brought Beck in with this in mind all along, but the decision to retain Watson pushed back his timeline on implementing a new offense a bit. Bo made a commitment to the WC scheme at the beginning in the name of consistency and it backfired after year 1. Now he is going back to plan A.

I do know that Beck did a pretty good job coaching the RB's, did a good job at KU, did a good job at Missouri State as the OC, was a great HS coach, etc. I also know that he isn't from the WC school. Watson tried to mix a spread running attack with a WC passing scheme. WC passing scheme has longer developing routes and less of the quick passes that we see other spread teams use so much. The two philosophies just don't mix, not to mention that Watson wasn't familiar enough with the spread offense elements to make adjustments or tweaks as the game or season progressed, not to mention fitting it to the abilities of his personnel. Beck has an offense that is closer to what Bo wants and is capable of making the adjustments needed. Is Beck the greatest OC since RichRod, I don't know. All I know is that he is qualified for this job, what he makes of the opportunity is yet to be seen.

So Beck is the chosen one or is this all pure speculation? If Bo interviewed Frost and others for the job and ended up just going with Beck that's a little unsettling. Beck maybe the right man, he may hold all the answers for a stagnant no spark of an offense...I don't know. I do know I would feel a lot better about all this if 2 or 3 weeks after our bowl game Bo came out and said Shawn is gone! Becks our guy.

Goodness, there is only so much credit to go around for the good offense Kansas posted in '07. Between Ed Warriner and Tim Beck, I'm not sure there's any slice of that pie left for Mark Mangino..

So what I'm gathering is that all the time, right under our very noses, the solution to this offensive catastrophe was right there, like a crouching tiger, or a hidden dragon. We must be the luckiest chaps in Las Vegas.

It's actually not too unbelievable. We definitely have some very solid minds on the offensive coaching staff in Watson and Beck. Watson was tied to doing something that he wasn't best suited to do. Beck was very solid in the Texas high school ranks, but if he gets the job and Bo ties his hands the same way...honestly, how much can we expect different results? It is kind of like asking Darren Sproles to be a bruising between-the-tackles goalline back, or Peyton Hillis to be an all-purpose, screen-catching, outside runner.

and does Cotton stay?

Unfortunately it sounds like it, nobody has said anything about him leaving other than the fans.

As unfortunate as it is, Barney is like the slow kid on our staff... I guess for now we're content to let him stay, and on the whole, just leave him alone to do as he pleases.

This is unfortunate for Coach Cotton, who secretly yearns to spend more of his time coloring and watching Arthur.

• Fire 2

So Beck is the chosen one or is this all pure speculation? If Bo interviewed Frost and others for the job and ended up just going with Beck that's a little unsettling. Beck maybe the right man, he may hold all the answers for a stagnant no spark of an offense...I don't know. I do know I would feel a lot better about all this if 2 or 3 weeks after our bowl game Bo came out and said Shawn is gone! Becks our guy.

Beck is not a second choice. He has been planned for at least a CO-OC since Bo brought him in. Looking what has been rumored, all of the options were for CO-OC, Warriner, or a position coach, Frost. Whether or not Bo would offer Frost a CO-OC is debatable depending on who's insider info you believe.

Have you ever had a job where, if given the chance, you thought you'd be better than your boss?

If given the chance would you do things just like him/ her?

and does Cotton stay?

Unfortunately it sounds like it, nobody has said anything about him leaving other than the fans.

As unfortunate as it is, Barney is like the slow kid on our staff... I guess for now we're content to let him stay, and on the whole, just leave him alone to do as he pleases.

This is unfortunate for Coach Cotton, who secretly yearns to spend more of his time coloring and watching Arthur.

don't forget play-doh and playing army guys.

Goodness, there is only so much credit to go around for the good offense Kansas posted in '07. Between Ed Warriner and Tim Beck, I'm not sure there's any slice of that pie left for Mark Mangino..

It's actually not too unbelievable. We definitely have some very solid minds on the offensive coaching staff in Watson and Beck. Watson was tied to doing something that he wasn't best suited to do. Beck was very solid in the Texas high school ranks, but if he gets the job and Bo ties his hands the same way...honestly, how much can we expect different results? It is kind of like asking Darren Sproles to be a bruising between-the-tackles goalline back, or Peyton Hillis to be an all-purpose, screen-catching, outside runner.

Well saying that we are giving Beck and Warriner all of the credit for KU's success is a stretch don't you think? All I am pointing out is that he successfully coached WR's for them as well as game planned the passing schemes for them. Obviously Mangino was involved in the game planning, had the last word, and called plays, just like Bo does with our D. Point is that Beck knows how to game plan, did it at the HS level and two collegiate levels, as well as call plays, did it at the HS level and at a lower college level. As far as your comment about Bo tying his hands, well if Beck already runs what Bo wants then why would that happen? Bo wanted more of a QB run game, which Watson does not have the experience for. I am betting Beck does since KU had that element and it is extremely prevalent in TX HS football so I am guessing that Beck's O is a lot like what Bo envisions.

and does Cotton stay?

don't forget play-doh and playing army guys.

Just read Sipple's Sunday article, where he mentions that there may be co-offensive line coaches. More time for those army men.

Sipple also mentioned the possibility of a grad assistant or intern being promoted to a position coach. Is see the GAs are Ross Watson and Curt Baldus. I think Watson could be a rising star on the defensive side. Besides Ganz is there another intern?

Jon Garrison, Jake Wesch. Garrison works with the Oline already. Not sure what Wesch does Im guessing special teams.