Who's really our BEST Quarterback?

NEBRASKA's BEST QB  

187 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bummer. I was all set to post a great article from ESPN about Taylor's passing ability, but I didn't realize until just before I hit POST that it was an Insider article.

Here's the link: Huskers Taylor-made for Big Ten

The Cliff's Notes version:

Statistical metrics from Taylor's final seven games (KSU, Texas, OSU, Missouri, A&M, Oklahoma & Washington) show that his ability to pass - which analysis shows is the best way to attack the Big 10 - is more than good enough to lead Nebraska into next season. Had all of Taylor's passes been caught (he had nine drops), he would have posted a 9.54 YPA average, which would have ranked him fourth nationally behind Cam Newton, Kellen Moore and Greg McElroy. They further break it down to show that Taylor was excellent on the short passes as well as vertical throws downfield. Further down the article they cite Kyler Reed as an example of why we can possibly take advantage of the Big 10's defenses.

The article was written by the webmaster and blogger for TheFootballScientist.com, KC Joyner.

Bummer. I was all set to post a great article from ESPN about Taylor's passing ability, but I didn't realize until just before I hit POST that it was an Insider article.

Statistical metrics from Taylor's final seven games (KSU, Texas, OSU, Missouri, A&M, Oklahoma & Washington) show that his ability to pass - which analysis shows is the best way to attack the Big 10 - is more than good enough to lead Nebraska into next season. Had all of Taylor's passes been caught (he had nine drops), he would have posted a 9.54 YPA average, which would have ranked him fourth nationally behind Cam Newton, Kellen Moore and Greg McElroy. They further break it down to show that Taylor was excellent on the short passes as well as vertical throws downfield. Further down the article they cite Kyler Reed as an example of why we can possibly take advantage of the Big 10's defenses.

The article was written by the webmaster and blogger for TheFootballScientist.com, KC Joyner.

Duh, Knappic. Stats don't matter. Since Taylor didn't single handedly win a MNC his first year, the backup QB is the answer.

Did you read that article? It could have been directly written to counter the posts of several folks here on HuskerBoard who have maintained that Taylor cannot pass, or get better. This article shows that he can do it, and he can get better.

Now he just has to go out and do it, and get better. Because if he doesn't continue to improve both in the fundamentals of the game and in the role of Leader, he's going to be riding the pine this year.

Did you read that article? It could have been directly written to counter the posts of several folks here on HuskerBoard who have maintained that Taylor cannot pass, or get better. This article shows that he can do it, and he can get better.

Now he just has to go out and do it, and get better. Because if he doesn't continue to improve both in the fundamentals of the game and in the role of Leader, he's going to be riding the pine this year.

Nah, I don't have an insider account. But I agree with your final sentence. Taylor could be really, really good. But it's all up to him (and actual QB coaching).

Interesting. Although I'm pretty sure both Beck and Pelini have both said we will be a run first team the first year in the B10.

Tim Beck: “We're going to run the ball first and foremost and we're going to hang our hat on that.”

Not saying we won't develop into a more pass-heavy scheme down the road.

Can't wait to see what Taylor brings! :)

Duh, Knappic. Stats don't matter. Since Taylor didn't single handedly win a MNC his first year, the backup QB is the answer.

Backups who have never played a single down of cfb is the obvious answer. If you don't believe that, just read this thread.

Backups who have never played a single down of cfb is the obvious answer. If you don't believe that, just read this thread.

Hey, they have high school tape!!!

• 1 month later...

2 kids that have never played a snap of division 1 football over a guy who set a number of freshman records at Nebraska, was a dark horse heisman contender before he got hurt?

I understand that Taylor's got a long ways to go, but really?

I agree, he had by FAR the best year for a Husker QB EVER and people arn't happy with him.

post-4426-039211000 1302930667.jpg

this whole discussion is ridiculous.....we all know TM is fast and a great runner, his passing is mediocre at best and his ability to heal and stay healthy is questionable. later last season defenses took the run away, that was to be expected, especially given our O-line is half-ass....forced to pass, the kid seemed lost and unable to make good reads and deliver the ball..is there a better choice this season? well, i suspect someone will have to take the job away from him or more likely, he will get re injured again and sit out some games...being injured and playing worse as the season wore on left people with a negative view.....and the kid still isn't healed.

Put a decent offensive line in front of Martinez and his passing will look a LOT better. Our running game will open up too. Hopefully the crowd of coaches working with our offensive line right now will put a better squad on the field. Hats on hats on hats.