Who all do we redshirt this year?

corncraze

Your not going to see Bubba and Jamal Turner see playing time this year. Its going to be one or the other or neither of them, it won't be both. Ameer Abdullah won't see playing time either unless Burkhead gets injuried, they won't play him even if Aaron Green gets hurt.

I would agree with this. For the sake of argument let's pretend Bubba comes to school to play ball. The only way these two both see the field this year is if one starts at QB (likely Starling) and the other starts at WR (likely Turner, because he'd make a better WR than Starling).

Also, presuming Starling comes to play football, Starling and Turner will not both be quarterbacks. That would give us:

Starling - FR

Turner - FR

Carnes - rFR

Green - JR

Martinez - SOPH

As much talent as Carnes, Turner and Starling have, it wouldn't make sense to let one of them waste their career on the bench, which is what would happen unless we have injuries, and you can't bank on injuries.

I don't think Joseph Carter will redshirt this year, but i just don't see him getting much playing time unless an injury occurs or if he makes a big splash like Hardrick did coming from a JUCO. I think the defensive line is very solid going into next year, with Crick, Steinkuhler, Meredith making a return, Eric Martin switching to DE and decent backups in Moore, Ankrah, Randle, and Williams. I don't see very much room this year for Carter to squeeze in some playing time unless like i said, he makes a big splash this spring and summer or injuries occur.

Carter could play his way into a significant role if he has a high-octane motor. We're just not seeing the push from rush end like we thought with Cam and Ankrah. Ankrah in particular I thought would be an animal last year, but he looked rather pedestrian to me. Unless Ankrah steps it up big-time, he's going to be the odd man out with EMart moving over to rush end, too.

Now is Marcel Jones and Yoshi Hardrick playing the same position? If so, then there is a wide open race to fill two positions on the offensive line and a battle for playing time where Sirles is. I realize how good the offensive line recruiting class is, but i don't see a lot of them making an impact for immediate playing time. I think its a lock that one of them starts, but two or more playing as true freshman starters, not likely. It's hard to say who it is, my gut tells me either Reeves or Moore, but who knows.

Now is Marcel Jones and Yoshi Hardrick playing the same position? If so, then there is a wide open race to fill two positions on the offensive line and a battle for playing time where Sirles is. I realize how good the offensive line recruiting class is, but i don't see a lot of them making an impact for immediate playing time. I think its a lock that one of them starts, but two or more playing as true freshman starters, not likely. It's hard to say who it is, my gut tells me either Reeves or Moore, but who knows.

I find it highly unlikely that any of the OL recruits will play this year. Too much young depth on the line. Maybe Reeves at C, but I with ARod and Qvale at G, and possibly Hardrick moving to G, Sirles and Jones at T, I don't see too many opportunities unless for the new OL recruits.

Oh, and Starling ain't playing football here.

I find it highly unlikely that any of the OL recruits will play this year. Too much young depth on the line. Maybe Reeves at C, but I with ARod and Qvale at G, and possibly Hardrick moving to G, Sirles and Jones at T, I don't see too many opportunities unless for the new OL recruits.

Oh, and Starling ain't playing football here.

agree, Bubba be throwing fastballs, not footballs and the freshman OL will get a whole year of Cotton before they get to play....oh boy! <_<

I don't think Bo would have brought Carter in hoping for depth. I'm guessing he sees something in him to push for PT.

the old days of redshirting everybody are over with...any player you get that's any good is gone after his soph or junior year. so you might as well play them. the college game has been shortened so much it's not much more than a quick track meet these days. strength and physicality have gone by the wayside in favor of spread attacks and gay-a$$ dink and dunk passing.

Bubba's been promised that he won't redshirt, which means that if he makes it here at all, he'll see the field one way or another. The question is whether that will be at QB or somewhere else. I think it's more likely he sees the field at WR than at QB (for right now). At QB, he's got Martinez, Green, Carnes, and Turner to compete with, all of whom will be way ahead of Starling with the playbook when fall camp starts.

On the other hand, I'd like to think that our coaches are cooking up ways of getting Martinez, Starling, and Turner all on the field at the same time. Bobby Newcombe was a huge contributor to our 1997 national championship team both on offense and on special teams, and if our coaches can't figure out how to use a couple of these guys in similar ways, then they're not doing their jobs.

I didn't ask about Turner or Carnes because there is, as yet, no rumor or obvious impending reason for either not to be on the team. Starling has a pretty legit reason not to be on the team. If he ends up starting, you're saying NOBODY is going to raise the question about what he may have been promised? I think that's pretty myopic.

If he starts the first game his freshman year - yup, I'd ask those questions - and hopefully they'd be answered by his performances (which Martinez answered in the early part of the year). But neither GMoose nor myself said anything about starting. If he starts down the road, then he earned it. I just don't see how you relate him coming to Nebraska with Bo promising him a start. If he comes I am going to give Bo and Starling both the benefit of the doubt and say he's coming with the intention of earning the starting QB spot. Maybe you aren't. What you are saying is basically if starling enrolls on 8/15, he MUST be the starting QB because there is no other reason why he'd leave MLB wihtout at least the questioning the possibility of a "promise" and it's myopic to think otherwise.

The only way these two both see the field this year is if one starts at QB (likely Starling) and the other starts at WR (likely Turner, because he'd make a better WR than Starling).

I think both Starling and Turner could see the field was QB/WR respectively without starting. Why so obsessed with starting today? I see it as MUCH more likely that both burn their redshirts in limited roles than in starting roles.

I dont see both of our running back recruits shirting this year. maybe one of them, we are thin behind rex.

The only way Ameer or Aaron redshirt is if Heard qualifies. We don't have anyone behind Rex that has any sort of prolonged playing time. If Heard qualifies I would say one of them will redshirt. But, I could also see all 3 getting playing time and us going out hard in recruiting every year to get at least 2 good backs every year so we won't have to redshirt at RB anymore. This way we get the kids in knowing they won't redshirt and compete right away, which in turn helps us to get the best talent on the field no matter what grade they are in.