Who all do we redshirt this year?

corncraze

I didn't ask about Turner or Carnes because there is, as yet, no rumor or obvious impending reason for either not to be on the team. Starling has a pretty legit reason not to be on the team. If he ends up starting, you're saying NOBODY is going to raise the question about what he may have been promised? I think that's pretty myopic.

If he starts the first game his freshman year - yup, I'd ask those questions - and hopefully they'd be answered by his performances (which Martinez answered in the early part of the year). But neither GMoose nor myself said anything about starting. If he starts down the road, then he earned it. I just don't see how you relate him coming to Nebraska with Bo promising him a start. If he comes I am going to give Bo and Starling both the benefit of the doubt and say he's coming with the intention of earning the starting QB spot. Maybe you aren't. What you are saying is basically if starling enrolls on 8/15, he MUST be the starting QB because there is no other reason why he'd leave MLB wihtout at least the questioning the possibility of a "promise" and it's myopic to think otherwise.

You're reading so much more into this than I ever said. I don't understand the need for all this. Are you just really, really bored?

Where the heck is everyone getting this idea of Starling being a WR?

From what ive seen on video, he is a better centerfeilder than a throwing qb. But he didnt come to NU to play WR. He has mentioned in interviews that he looks forward to taking tmarts spot as top dog(if he makes it here at all) and that he wouldnt plan on redshirting.

If Starling gets here, for the sake of the argument, I could see both him and Turner playing. Get athletes on the field, period.

I think that if Starling does get here people will be surprised to learn that Jamal is in fact the more polished QB of the two. I say that in full confidence. Bubba this year was almost exclusively a runner.

Carter plays. Not a chance he doesn't unless he is not the player we thought he was. Bo doenst recruit JUCOs to sit the pine.

Green plays.

HEARD plays. Thats right.

Turner plays.

Starling plays.

CJ - may play. We did in fact red shirt CC. The secondary has some stiff competition.

Moore - very well could see time. Coming in at semester did help his cause an awful lot.

AA - when Heard gets here I don't see playing immediately. He will be an offensive weapon going forward, but not in 2011.

Reeves - DOES NOT PLAY AND I HOPE THAT HE REDSHIRTS. I am very content with Caputo at center. Pre-injury Caputo could have been our best or 2nd best OL in 2010.

Klacko - I hope that he gets to redshirt, but we will see. The Mad Russian plays with a lot of hate.

Everyone else could drastically benefit from a redshirt year.

CJ - may play. We did in fact red shirt CC. The secondary has some stiff competition.

The secondary is vastly overpopulated and has plenty of depth that has yet to prove itself.

CB - Dijon Washington, Lazarri Middleton, Jase Dean, Alfonzo Dennard, Charles Jackson, Anthony Blue, and Marcus Mendoza

S - PJ Smith, Austin Cassidy, Courtney Osborne, Jim Ebke

DB - Ciante Evans, Justin Blatchford, Austin Williams, Corey Cooper, Andrew Green, Andrew Holt, Yusef Wade, Harvey Jackson, Derek Foster, Wil Richards, Josh Mitchell, Brent Moravec, Bronson Marsh, Lance Thorell, Damion Stafford, Seth Jameson, Joey Felici, and Josh Bart.

Alot of unknown names of walk-ons, but Matt O'Hanlon was a walk on that played secondary and look how well he played (at times).

Where the heck is everyone getting this idea of Starling being a WR?

There was a podcast interview by a Scout talent guru who spent about 2-3 minutes breaking down Turner and Starling and talking about what positions they might play --- he stated that Turner would be an average thrower and great athlete and could be a QB and that Starling was a major project as a passer (well below average... at least at the moment) and not ready to be a QB (not now anyway... in terms of imediate impact)--- but that his size/speed/strength/athleticism would make him an instant impact WR (or TE). There is an earlier thread on this. The Scout guy was thourough and seemed very familiar with these two guys. So... that is where some of it comes from... I'd guess.

I think both Starling and Turner could see the field was QB/WR respectively without starting. Why so obsessed with starting today? I see it as MUCH more likely that both burn their redshirts in limited roles than in starting roles.

This x1000. Bubba is not a good or even average passer at this juncture in his career. If he decides to pass up the MLB, he will likely see time at QB and likely WR, but in no way should he be the STARTER next year. I could see him subbing in, but if he is the starter, it will probably be a long season. I love the way he said he wants to come after Martinez's job right away, but if he is the starter are offense likely becomes pretty one dimensional.

Oh well, at least if we went that route, and he got hurt, we'd actually have a backup to come in with the same type of abilities!

74 hunter... Carter cannot RS. He's a 2 for 2 guy. He's got the size and ability to play alot next year... we shall see. I'm also high on E Mart, and he should stay at DE... I don't think he's mentally capable of grasping the defense the way we need our backers to... Especially if he's two years in and THEN they switch him. That says all that needs to be said. Still hoping on Ankrah, he was a beast recruit coming out of Maryland. He's got time to develop yet.

Fuzzy, Yusef Wade is working at RB, and I believe he won Scout Team MVP last year. For all the guys talking about AA redshirting or not, there was some positive talk about Wade at the end of last year. I guess we'll see if it's just buzz come next season.

If Carter starts this year on the DE spot, that just sends up red flags to me that maybe I overestimated the talent of the depth on the defensive line. Last year it seemed we talked up and down about the great recruiting class we got on the defensive line pulling in Ashburn, Rome, and Guy and we landed Okeyumi and Vestal despite losing whats-his-name to UCLA at the very last moment on Signing Day.

As for Ankrah, he met my expectations this year, i wasn't expecting him to push Meredith or Allen to take over the starting spot, but he made good decisions and played well for his first year on the field as limited as it was. I didn't see him make bad decisions or give up the big run or get pancaked too many times by offensive lineman, same goes for Randle, though i would say Randle had a bigger impact that Ankrah did.

I expect to see Joseph Carter out there during the Spring game and I will have a better vantage point of his abilities.