Crime in College Football

So are the four Steinkuhler and Thenarse's DUIs before the Holiday Bowl, the other during DUI after the bowl game, and Paul's public urination, or do Paul's and Thenrase's not count since they graduated. I'm also not saying that these are the only crimes that they've committed, but just the most recent.

So are the four Steinkuhler and Thenarse's DUIs before the Holiday Bowl, the other during DUI after the bowl game, and Paul's public urination, or do Paul's and Thenrase's not count since they graduated. I'm also not saying that these are the only crimes that they've committed, but just the most recent.

These numbers are everything prior to the 2010 season. (so pre 9/1/2010ish)

I was kinda shocked Iowa only had 18.

LOL, just wait till Iowa fan tries to bring up LP. We will quickly be able to remind them of all the legal troubles during the Ferentz era where they routinely go 7-5.

Iowa released a statement on this. I know Iowa City cops dont just let them slide on public intox and minor stuff like some school towns do. I do think it's cr@p to lump all crimes together, and I think we could all agree drinking pry goes up in the middle of winter in mid-west schools and communities. One example of how the numbers could be scewed just from one state to another on "serious" crimes, Iowa you get caught with a used pipe or a roach, you go to jail and car goes to impound, MN anything under an oz is a ticket and your on your way. I am not condoning using any drugs, simply pointing out even from state to state you could be charged with a more serious crime, even if the exact same crime.

I initially thought of Paul and Justin Jackson for those who were trying to keep track at home. Totally forgot about Steiny and Rickey Thenarse. Also, thought of Jake Cotton's incident with his old girlfriend that he went to court for, for those trying to keep track of our players.

I guess this article goes to show you that for every kid out there that's respectful and follows his mama's orders, there's also a kid willing to throw a guy through a glass door and continue to punch him while he's bleeding, or a guy willing to choke out/slap his girlfriend and her friends. Really sad.

I guess this article goes to show you that for every kid out there that's respectful and follows his mama's orders, there's also a kid willing to throw a guy through a glass door and continue to punch him while he's bleeding, or a guy willing to choke out/slap his girlfriend and her friends. Really sad.

While you're right that there are questionable guys out there, and that we've had our share of those guys at Nebraska, thankfully it's not 1:1. I know you probably weren't saying that, but it bears repeating that the four guys they listed for us would make up about 3% of a roster of 120 guys.

As I stated above, that's less than half the national average, meaning you're twice as likely to run into a guy with a criminal record simply walking down the sidewalk.

I was kinda shocked Iowa only had 18.

Given the fact that they are including PAULAs and Public Intox which the Iowa City cops are notorious for giving out, I am surprised the number isn't closer to 30 or 40. I got stopped one time by a cop and given a drunk test because I swerved a tiny bit to avoid a pothole in the road and thus exhibited signs of impairment. I also had a friend on foot stopped and tested for public intox because they stepped sideways to avoid something spilled on the sidewalk and that was enough evidence of impairment to get them questioned.

All 18 charges were misdemeanors. Of these charges:

• 15 were alcohol related;

• Two were for possession of a controlled substance;

• One was for misdemeanor assault, and the student-athlete plead guilty to a charge of disorderly conduct.

Underage consumption of alcohol and extreme consumption of alcohol have been issues for The University of Iowa and Iowa City community for several years. Staff of the UI and the City of Iowa City have and currently are collaborating on a number of efforts to address these concerns. LINK

This quote from Iowa's response to the SI article. I'm no fan of the Hog-eyes, but don't think they run a dirty program. The IU athletic dept can't help it if the cops in Iowa City hassle kids like a squadron of angry Baptist grandmothers waiting at home on prom night.

Does every football town think their local PD has it out for the team, or is this just fan misunderstanding? I've lived in Lincoln for 20 years and I've heard that LPD 'has it in for' Husker players since day one. Is it true, or is it just the fact that fans don't want to see their players' names in the paper for DUI or worse?

Does every football town think their local PD has it out for the team, or is this just fan misunderstanding? I've lived in Lincoln for 20 years and I've heard that LPD 'has it in for' Husker players since day one. Is it true, or is it just the fact that fans don't want to see their players' names in the paper for DUI or worse?

I think a lot of college towns are out for college kids in general. Not for athletes in particular. That's what I thought when I was a UNL student. A few years later I lived in a different college town. The police pulled me over a couple of times when I first moved there for very minor, questionable infractions--I suspect due to my out-of-state license plates. Both times they let me go with a verbal warning when they found out I wasn't a student.

I think a lot of college towns are out for college kids in general. Not for athletes in particular. That's what I thought when I was a UNL student. A few years later I lived in a different college town. The police pulled me over a couple of times when I first moved there for very minor, questionable infractions--I suspect due to my out-of-state license plates. Both times they let me go with a verbal warning when they found out I wasn't a student.

Could be just sheer number of opportunities. Athletes I've been around while in college tended to push the envelope a lot farther and try to get away with things only to try and fall back on the "Don't you know who I am" card.

Could be just sheer number of opportunities. Athletes I've been around while in college tended to push the envelope a lot farther and try to get away with things only to try and fall back on the "Don't you know who I am" card.

:yeah It is a combination of stress relief as most college kids do it and I am a stud football player so they won't actually arrest me. Add in the fact that most cops in college towns HATE the students because the students are actually the cause of a large majority of their problems and you have the recipe for - well - :yeah .

I would just like to add that the assault was - imo - a well deserved smack down on someone yelling racial slurs.