Taylor Martinez Sports Science

since he has only played one year, i don't even think one could say he is injury prone, let alone predict he could or is likely to get hurt again, although i do believe he was never given a chance to heal up and i hope that doesn't mean this will be a cronic type injury that will just never go away...anyone got a durability record when he was in high school?

Agree. Well said. It's possible he'll get injured again, and it's possible he could develop something chronic. But we won't know until it happens.

Again the ankle may be healing, but he really has not had enough time for it to heal completely even if he had stayed off of it the day after it was injured in the Missouri game until now. Slow process for high ankle sprains and as often as he has reinjured it, who knows. I had one as a young Marine and it bothered me for years. They have way better medical treatment, but it still takes a long time. Chroic may be to harsh at this time, but if it continues into fall ball, my guess is he will never be the same. He needs to protect it through the summer for sure.

He got injured like 4 times last year.

Also, this thread sucks.

:lol: +1

From where I was sitting in *Jerry World (about 10 feet from Matt O'Hanlon, randomly) the CCG sure looked like a team loss to me. The offense did enough early to where a typical (recent) Blackshirt effort should have been enough to give us the title. The Sooners had a good team though, and they fought their way back into contention. We needed a response from the offense, but they had gone silent by then. Taylor looked like a child in a hurricane...just totally lost. (A MASH unit O-Line sure didn't help him find his bearings, either.) I think his injuries were too much to overcome...lots of references to the lack of mechanical refinement in Taylor's game. When the injuries stripped Taylor of his brilliant improvisational abilities he started to look a little pedestrian. And you can see why...if you can break one at any time on any play with pure acceleration than why refine your game? I guess the answer to that question is on tape.

17 point lead? Taylor had some poor moments, but he didn't lose that game on his own.

*You actually DO see the game better on TV. I won't ever see that disgusting broadcast though.

knapplc is right, you cannot predict injuries. A very durable and to-date, uninjured player can find himself hit by an injury that derails the rest of his career. Guys that have a history of trouble can handle lots of time and emerge unscathed.

But I have seen some concern expressed on this board last year about how Taylor carries himself into contact. He probably ought to protect himself a bit more, because he leaves himself open to too much punishment. I think his ankle injury (or the re-injury where a lineman stepped on him) were more of the 'bad luck, unavoidable' type situations, but the above worry stands. Like Jon Gruden said to Jake Locker in his QB camp this year: Taylor's ability to run the ball is an asset for him that he needs to protect and keep with him for down the road.

I really used to enjoy reading topics on this board but in just about every thread I have entered lately it has just been a whole lot of knapplc agruing with everyone. I hardly ever agree with anything he has to say, he just loves to argue and can't be wrong about anything. Of course this post isn't going to change anything, I just grow tired of reading his posts. Argue, demean, argue, demean...repeat. Congradulations knapplc, fly this board straight into the ground full speed ahead. Enjoy yourself, because it seems you might be the only one.

Yawn

• Fire 2

His Spring Game stats were skewed by his sack. He looked decent (but not Taylor of old) on his scramble for a first down in the first quarter.

As for the no evidence of fixing things... that's hard to say. By all accounts the offense was so limited and so little of what they actually worked on all Spring that you can't base much off of what you saw. They could be working feverishly on all of the problems we're discussing and we just may not have seen them in the game.

I'm not sure which way that cuts, Knap. The more basic the play calling, you'd think the more Taylor would have been able to focus on the fundamentals. Really, the whole point of the vanilla play calling at the SG was to let guys focus on proper execution in blocking, tackling, catching, ball security, and other fundamentals. Why, then, did Taylor come out looking like total ass with his footwork, hips, throwing motion, etc.?

It irritates me to no end; it really does. If you were a Division 1 starting QB for whom the weakest part of your game was throwing fundamentals, you think you'd take every opportunity possible to throw after practice or go to camps or whatever it took in order to get there. It's like those high-profile basketball players that are excellent in every regard, but yet cannot shoot free throws. How hard is it to get there early or stay after practice and not let yourself leave until you hit 10, 20, or eventually 30 consecutive free throws? I never shot a basketball in my life until a few summers ago when I'd go 5 days a week and shoot free throws. In no time at all, I was making 10 consecutive shots a day and could routinely make 20 consecutive shots.

I would love to be Brion Carnes right about now.

His Spring Game stats were skewed by his sack. He looked decent (but not Taylor of old) on his scramble for a first down in the first quarter.

As for the no evidence of fixing things... that's hard to say. By all accounts the offense was so limited and so little of what they actually worked on all Spring that you can't base much off of what you saw. They could be working feverishly on all of the problems we're discussing and we just may not have seen them in the game.

I'm not sure which way that cuts, Knap. The more basic the play calling, you'd think the more Taylor would have been able to focus on the fundamentals. Really, the whole point of the vanilla play calling at the SG was to let guys focus on proper execution in blocking, tackling, catching, ball security, and other fundamentals. Why, then, did Taylor come out looking like total ass with his footwork, hips, throwing motion, etc.?

It irritates me to no end; it really does. If you were a Division 1 starting QB for whom the weakest part of your game was throwing fundamentals, you think you'd take every opportunity possible to throw after practice or go to camps or whatever it took in order to get there. It's like those high-profile basketball players that are excellent in every regard, but yet cannot shoot free throws. How hard is it to get there early or stay after practice and not let yourself leave until you hit 10, 20, or eventually 30 consecutive free throws? I never shot a basketball in my life until a few summers ago when I'd go 5 days a week and shoot free throws. In no time at all, I was making 10 consecutive shots a day and could routinely make 20 consecutive shots.

I little bit different when you have 20,000 fans screaming at you while you shoot free throws. Or in Martinez's case, 85,000 fans screaming at you and moaning everytime he throws an incomplete pass.

I really used to enjoy reading topics on this board but in just about every thread I have entered lately it has just been a whole lot of knapplc agruing with everyone. I hardly ever agree with anything he has to say, he just loves to argue and can't be wrong about anything. Of course this post isn't going to change anything, I just grow tired of reading his posts. Argue, demean, argue, demean...repeat. Congradulations knapplc, fly this board straight into the ground full speed ahead. Enjoy yourself, because it seems you might be the only one.

Yawn

Pretty much every board I've ever posted on have mostly consisted of people arguing with each other. If everyone had the same opinion about everything, the world would be a boring place. I enjoy his posts, although I often disagree with them at least they're well thought out and articulated. Could be A LOT worse. Just sayin'.

• Fire 1

I little bit different when you have 20,000 fans screaming at you while you shoot free throws. Or in Martinez's case, 85,000 fans screaming at you and moaning everytime he throws an incomplete pass.

I was also doing it for fun; it's his freaking job. If he can't figure out how to set his feet when he throws, is it because he just doesn't have it in him no matter how hard he works, or because he doesn't care? Because it's got to be one of the two.

I think it's tough to hang too much on even one awful scrimmage performance. It was only one after all, and it's the whole body of work that you look at. Additionally, Sam McKewon has that theory of Taylor being stacked up against worse than Carnes and Kellogg faced, as well as getting that blindside corner blitz called and being affected by lack of cohesion on the offensive unit. Combined with not being close to our real offense that is being installed, I don't think it is a very good indicator of much...

Especially since Carnes is not close to having picked up the whole offense. I am one of the biggest fans of Carnes' skills on this board, but I have to say I am completely against the idea of him starting next year because it does not seem to be a good situation for him, and consequently, the team. We don't start a player who is still picking up the offense like he is, unless we have to, because there will be growing pains. Everything about Carnes right now screams "player who needs more seasoning/waiting in the wings." If we assert him as a starter in front of last year's incumbent, it's setting him up to fail.

I felt sort of similar about Taylor last year, only without being a fan of Taylor's skillset.

I think one thing we did see in the spring game...Taylor's not that great at rollout passes. Yeah, he had a completion, and I only have access to some highlight and fancams, but look at Taylor throwing on the run and then look at Brion throwing on the run. It doesn't mean we can't have it at all as part of the offense; multiplicity in attack is good. But I don't expect it to be the centerpiece in Taylor's throwing arsenal.

Another thing, his injury. I believe someone mentioned that Taylor pushed himself into playing this spring in spite of the injury. Hopefully the layover until fall gives Taylor plenty of time to heal. And the bit about Taylor needing to realize that he has to improve his fundamentals...seeking out a QB coach is a very promising first step.