1st and 10

So watching 1st and 10 this morning and it's usually Skip Bayless that makes me want to hit my head against a wall. However, the other guy on today said Jake Locker beat a pedestrian Nebraska defense in the Holiday Bowl and his reasoning.........because they beat Okie State 51-41. How do people like this get jobs?!?

Can't wait for the fall to get here GBR :bonesflag:

That comment doesn't even make sense. Locker went 5/16 for 56 yards and zero TDS. T-Mart had a horrific game by anyone's standards and went 7/9 for 53 yards and a TD (and a pick).

I don't know who this guy is, but if you're still watching ESPN looking for realistic analysis and information, you deserve what you get. ESPN is all about pretty faces and flashy graphics. Actual factual sports content not necessary.

That comment doesn't even make sense. Locker went 5/16 for 56 yards and zero TDS. T-Mart had a horrific game by anyone's standards and went 7/9 for 53 yards and a TD (and a pick).

I don't know who this guy is, but if you're still watching ESPN looking for realistic analysis and information, you deserve what you get. ESPN is all about pretty faces and flashy graphics. Actual factual sports content not necessary.

The best sports analysis comes from writers imho. Broadcasters just don't have the time or necessary information to pop up factually based information over and over again.

Also, OP, there's a reason 1st and 10 is on ESPN2 and that nobody likes Skip Bayless.

I've been saying it since our game in September - Jake Locker will not be a successful NFL quarterback. He will end his NFL career as a back-up or worse. When Locker faced Nebraska last year, he failed miserably both times. He is further behind the curve when it comes to the knowledge required of an NFL quarterback than most of the quarterbacks in the draft.

People are all over him because he's a relatively nice guy, but he showed TWICE last year that he doesn't have what it takes to command an effective passing attack against a stout defense. In the NFL, even the worst team has better athletes than Nebraska. What do people think is going to happen? Nothing good.

The best sports analysis comes from writers imho. Broadcasters just don't have the time or necessary information to pop up factually based information over and over again.

Also, OP, there's a reason 1st and 10 is on ESPN2 and that nobody likes Skip Bayless.

I've been saying it since our game in September - Jake Locker will not be a successful NFL quarterback. He will end his NFL career as a back-up or worse. When Locker faced Nebraska last year, he failed miserably both times. He is further behind the curve when it comes to the knowledge required of an NFL quarterback than most of the quarterbacks in the draft.

People are all over him because he's a relatively nice guy, but he showed TWICE last year that he doesn't have what it takes to command an effective passing attack against a stout defense. In the NFL, even the worst team has better athletes than Nebraska. What do people think is going to happen? Nothing good.

I'll give Jake Locker a pass cause he played on a sh**ty Washington team. How much is it the fault of not having good receivers and o-line rather than Locker making bad reads. He was a heisman favorite until he played against us.

I totally disgree. Locker played with basically the worst players in the Pac-10 if not the worst players in all of the BCS conferences for most of his time at UW.

The reason NU made him look so bad is because Pelini is that good and the players that NU has are really good and the players that UW has are terrible.

Locker, while I don't predict will be some hall of famer, will probably end up starting 100 career games, assuming he stays heatlhy.

He will be playing in a league that protects QB's at all costs, he has a pretty good Oline already and a good RB.

I am not saying he wins 12 games each year, I just think he will start a lot of games.

Now with that being said, had he not been so in love with his home state he might have went to USC, he might have won a Heisman and had crazy stats and ended up like Leinhart. So who knows, maybe he will be a bust.

Come to think of it, I guess I dont totally disagree at all, I just think he could be good. This really turned into one of the worst posts EVER. I should be banned for a day or two!

the other guy on today said Jake Locker beat a pedestrian Nebraska defense in the Holiday Bowl

Newsflash: This isn't 2007.

The guy obviously didn't watch even one Husker game last year.

Good grief. Skip Bayless has brain shortage issues. The reason N lost to W was because the Skers already played them in the regular season and rocked them; lost the Big 12 championship, which was a major emotional letdown; N didn't want to be at that bowl. Plain and simple, N was not mentally there for that game ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, Bayless.

Does Locker have good mechanics? I know he can throw on the run very well, I thought mechanics (and reading defenses) was the area he needed a lot of work on.

Locker had a good game against our D in the Holiday Bowl. 13 carries, 83 yards, and a score. He didn't tear through the defense completely, but on enough occasions to handily keep his team in a position to win the game. That's all that counts. Taylor was 7/9 for 53 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT - but did he have a better game through the air than Locker? Not by a long shot. And it's not to mention the job he did keying the offense on that performance, with the playactions, etc.

The reason N lost to W was because the Skers already played them in the regular season and rocked them; lost the Big 12 championship, which was a major emotional letdown; N didn't want to be at that bowl. Plain and simple, N was not mentally there for that game ... it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out, Bayless.

This is a horrible, horrible, horrible reason. Not saying there wasn't an element of that, but it should not, on any level, be excused. I'd sooner excuse Bo being out-coached by an opposing coordinator who did a great job, than Bo not being able to get his players up for a game, any game. That's Steve Sarkisian's team at Washington, remember.

No, the reason we lost this game was poor performance on both sides of the ball, a complete trainwreck on offense and a defense that was getting pounded on.

I don't get the 51-41 connection though, can anyone explain that to me?

Come on guys, don't be naive. Bayless is a really talented sports writer, he wouldn't have the pedigree he has without being so. They put him on TV on 1st and 10 so he can be a shock jockey and say outrageous polarizing things for ratings, and all will be forgotten tomorrow when the next episode of 1st and 10 is on.

I totally disgree. Locker played with basically the worst players in the Pac-10 if not the worst players in all of the BCS conferences for most of his time at UW.

So Washington didn't have good players. But Locker does not have great accuracy and he doesn't have great pocket presence, and great receivers can't change that. Locker had trouble fitting tight throws in against Nebraska's secondary, the best one he faced all year. In my opinion you really can't improve a quarterback's accuracy, they either have it or they don't. And when you're up against talented defensive backs (which are all over the NFL), you need accuracy.

The reason NU made him look so bad is because Pelini is that good and the players that NU has are really good and the players that UW has are terrible.

Again, refer to the above. We have great players and a great defensive coach, yes, but Locker still didn't throw the football well and his accuracy is very suspect by NFL scouts.

Locker, while I don't predict will be some hall of famer, will probably end up starting 100 career games, assuming he stays heatlhy.

He will be playing in a league that protects QB's at all costs, he has a pretty good Oline already and a good RB.

But what about receivers? Again, the same problem I mentioned earlier. If his receivers aren't great and he needs accuracy, he just doesn't have it.

I am not saying he wins 12 games each year, I just think he will start a lot of games.

I'm not debating whether he starts a lot of games - I'm debating whether he is a successful NFL quarterback.

Now with that being said, had he not been so in love with his home state he might have went to USC, he might have won a Heisman and had crazy stats and ended up like Leinhart. So who knows, maybe he will be a bust.

I disagree with this. Locker was recruited to play a wing-t offense at Washington early in his career because he played one in high school. I don't think even if he had gone to USC that would have been a Heisman candidate.

Come to think of it, I guess I dont totally disagree at all, I just think he could be good. This really turned into one of the worst posts EVER. I should be banned for a day or two!

He could be good, I just don't think he will be.

I wrote all those responses before reading the last part, so sorry if I come off like I'm attacking you. Didn't mean it that way, I'm just too lazy to go back and fix anything lol.