Huskers picked to win division

Woke up this morning to see Big Ten Network talking about all the spring games and giving their non-binding assessment of who would be the top 3 teams in both divisions.

Nebraska was picked to be in the top 3, in fact they are picked by both to win the division. Due mostly to the amount of talent on both sides of the ball.

Even though its preliminary, its good to get some love from Big Ten analysts despite our rough schedule.

BTN just jinxed us :facepalm:

You and I, my friend, are seeing eye to eye. Just as OU fans down here in OK already know that they have lost everything since they are mentioned as #1 in the prerankings (or were).

I wonder what we showed in the spring game that could possibly lead anyone to this conclusion? I'm not saying they're wrong. I just wonder what they saw.

They're not just using the spring game to formulate their opinions. At least, if I were in there position, I wouldn't.

The spring game is just a piece of the puzzle. Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa - three teams we play this year - lost a significant amount of players especially on the offensive side of the ball. In comparison, Nebraska returns more starters or guys with experience than several other B1G opponents this year.

As far as intangibles are concerned, I think a lot of people threw our Washington game to the way-side because of the way we finished the season. Many people believe bowl games are won by the teams that want it more, and I think there is some truth to that. We clearly failed at the end of the 2010 season, and our failure resulted in us playing a team we dominated earlier in the year. That said, bowl games should not be taken too seriously. Never get too high or too low after winning/losing one.

And lastly, we have Bo Pelini who is probably the best defensive mind in the B1G and, as we all know, one of the best in the country. The defense is going to be good and we know it, which makes Nebraska a relatively safe/smart choice in a division full of questions.

I wonder what we showed in the spring game that could possibly lead anyone to this conclusion? I'm not saying they're wrong. I just wonder what they saw.

They're not just using the spring game to formulate their opinions. At least, if I were in there position, I wouldn't.

The spring game is just a piece of the puzzle. Wisconsin, Michigan State and Iowa - three teams we play this year - lost a significant amount of players especially on the offensive side of the ball. In comparison, Nebraska returns more starters or guys with experience than several other B1G opponents this year.

As far as intangibles are concerned, I think a lot of people threw our Washington game to the way-side because of the way we finished the season. Many people believe bowl games are won by the teams that want it more, and I think there is some truth to that. We clearly failed at the end of the 2010 season, and our failure resulted in us playing a team we dominated earlier in the year. That said, bowl games should not be taken for face value. Never get too high or too low after winning/losing one.

And lastly, we have Bo Pelini who is probably the best defensive mind in the B1G and, as we all know, one of the best in the country. The defense is going to be good and we know it, which makes Nebraska a relatively safe/smart choice in a division full of questions.

Yeah, with the biggest question being, "How hard is the ncaa going to kick tOSU to the curb in the next four months?"

I don't think their prediction was really based on the spring game at all (even though that may have been their segue). It was more based on the fact that the Legends will basically suck this year. Iowa minus Stanzi and Clayborn, and Michigan rebuilding (again). Michigan State and Northwestern could very well be our biggest competition, considering they return proven, veteran quarterbacks and in-tact coaching staffs with proven systems.

I personally think Dan Persa is right up there with Andrew Luck as the best passer in college football. Remember, NW was 7-3 before Persa went down, including a win over #13 Iowa and a close loss to #8 Michigan State. Luckily they have a Texas Tech-like defense and if Beck has his ducks in a row by November we should be able to outscore them.

MSU and NW are both at home.

i dont know much about the big 10 network.. .have to order it soon for the season and what not.. but i think its gonna be awesome to get all this insight.. but what i'm wondering is how we are recieved so far on this network... are they pretty biased to certain teams?? favor certain teams etc....

just wondering

i dont know much about the big 10 network.. .have to order it soon for the season and what not.. but i think its gonna be awesome to get all this insight.. but what i'm wondering is how we are recieved so far on this network... are they pretty biased to certain teams?? favor certain teams etc....

just wondering

No I haven't really noticed any bias. I like it a lot. Not as much since they started including Nebraska... hard to explain. They're sort of nonchalant about everything.