classic example of why is dislike most iowans.

Whoa wait, Colorado left? Good on them.

hey give 'em credit, they left before we did. even if no one noticed!

I guess I also don't see how "small market" or "national program" is a "spin" from Delaney. spinning what? Nebraska is just as small a market and just as much in the national spotlight now as they were a year ago when the league voted us in-- enthusiastically i might add. so what's the spin now vs what was said/known last year?

If the article was only about the AAU thing, then it would make more sense. the comparrison of Delaney's comments last year vs this year show a spin, sure. so write your article on that if you need to meet your deadline.

To those who argue we haven't done anything in the last ten years. no, we haven't. but as others have pointed out, 10 year accomplishments clearly weren't a prerequisite because: MICHIGAN and NOTRE DAME.

as for tshirt counting. he mentions Washington, assuming he means DC and not the state? I rarely see Mich and ND stuff. Texas, yes. USC, not so much anymore. tOSU, are like ants at a picnic, they're Everywhere! Based on this criteria, even Badgers/WVU/LSU/Harvard > ND. but that too changes with the wind. If tOSU tanks next year i expect to see far fewer of those as well.

I live in Oklahoma City and I am still amazed at how many people I run into that have Husker stickers on their vehicles or have the shirts in bars.

This +1.

We haven't played many games against B1G opponents for years. Huskers fans are found all over the old Big 8 states we have a history with.

Once we're in the conference and we play them day in and day out our brand will export more so to the Minneapolis / Chicago markets. I mean, Minnesota fans generally tend to adopt another team apart from the Gophers since they are so abyssal. I see a lot of GG fans rooting for the Huskers over Iowa and Wisconsin since both of those teams have a long history of bad blood.

I was in Iowa City a few weeks ago and even the hawk fans there were excited about Nebraska. Many of them said Nebraska is as big of a program to them as OSU / Michigan. Case and point, go to the Hawkshops all over the city. One owner told me they have backordred every Nebraska article of clothing there multiple times. The minute they land on the shelves there the locals in IC buy up all the Nebraska stuff. I'm sure a lot of it is filling conference collections like minihelmets and the likes.

If I were making a top 10 it would be and in no sole order.

1. Alabama

2. Penn State

3. Notre Dame

4. Michigan

5. OSU

6. Texas

7. Oklahoma

8. USC

9. Nebraska

10. Florida State

10. LSU

10. Tennessee

10. Miami

10. Florida

To add to this, when I was stationed in jax, fl. We had a resturant that we took over and was able to pit up all NU stuff on the wall. My dad (lives in NE) was in fl then traveled to VA for the VT game. He said it was a btw convoy of RVs from Fl to VA with NU flags or airbrush on the sides.

We are everywhere and to me I think we are 2nd on the list to UT. I have been stationed all over the US and really didn't see much except for home teams of that state except the two teams I mentioned.

What did he write that was wrong?

I think it was the tone of the article. It reeks of a knee-jerk response by someone who has a burr up their butt about Nebraska. It's also clear he doesn't "get" the purpose of Delaney's comparison between NU and the Packers. He's not the only one. The guys at ESPN nearly howled in disgust on College Football Live the other day when that was brought up. They seemed to take it literally, just like the Iowan who wrote that piece.

Delaney was responding to those scratching their heads as to why the Big Ten would invite a school in such a small market. It's because, like Green Bay, Nebraska has hit above its weight for all these years. People DO take interest nationally when Nebraska plays another heavyweight team. Period. Notre Dame hasn't won anything in ages, either, but people still tune in.

If the author of this piece reflects the general insecurity of Iowans about Nebraska joining its ranks, then we certainly do have another Colorado on our hands. And that will be fun.

Spot-on analysis. That article's tone was rather snarky, wasn't it? I'm sorry, but you CANNOT write off Nebraska while trumpeting Notre Dame and Michigan as superiors-- especially when you consider the record depths that both of those programs have sunk to in recent years. His dismissal of Nebraska's national brand is just plain hypocrisy and ignorance (with more than a hint of envy). Nebraska has been in the headlines of the national sports scene more times in the last 3 years for various reasons (good and bad) than at anytime in recent memory. That's brand awareness, folks. It's a testament to what Osborne and Pelini have accomplished in that amount of time.

Also, bully on that last bit about Iowa-fan insecurity. It's not just them, though, unfortunately.

• Fire 1

Gosh our fanbase is insufferable. We all cry foul at the arrogance of every other fanbase, but fail to see that there's a legitimate reason why all those same fanbases have the same sentiments back at us.

I'm not going to act like we're sinless over here, but I sure don't see any Nebraska beat-writers/columnists getting on their soapboxes to write ill-mannered, editorial whine-fests about other college football programs or the states those programs call home. On the contrary, several writers from other newspapers around Big Ten/12 country have felt it necessary to do just that towards Nebraska in the last year. Mike DeArmond, Sam Mellinger, Berry Tramel, Dave Sittler, Jennifer Floyd-Engel, Kirk Bohls, and now this guy.

The source of our indignation as a fanbase stems from the fact that these so-called "professional" journalists seem to happily eschew their professional protocol of objectivity to write these smarmy anti-Nebraska columns, whose arguments each boil down to: "What's so great about Nebraska? They only have 14 TV sets!"

You'll forgive me if I'm averse to snobbish BS'ers who take cheap shots under the guise of professionalism.

• Fire 2

Gosh our fanbase is insufferable. We all cry foul at the arrogance of every other fanbase, but fail to see that there's a legitimate reason why all those same fanbases have the same sentiments back at us.

I'm not going to act like we're sinless over here, but I sure don't see any Nebraska beat-writers/columnists getting on their soapboxes to write ill-mannered, editorial whine-fests about other college football programs or the states those programs call home. On the contrary, several writers from other newspapers around Big Ten/12 country have felt it necessary to do just that towards Nebraska in the last year. Mike DeArmond, Sam Mellinger, Berry Tramel, Dave Sittler, Jennifer Floyd-Engel, Kirk Bohls, and now this guy.

The source of our indignation as a fanbase stems from the fact that these so-called "professional" journalists seem to happily eschew their professional protocol of objectivity to write these smarmy anti-Nebraska columns, whose arguments each boil down to: "What's so great about Nebraska? They only have 14 TV sets!"

You'll forgive me if I'm averse to snobbish BS'ers who take cheap shots under the guise of professionalism.

If we're talking about columnists and writers then I have no qualms or disagreements. Thing is, people tend to take the mistakes and pathetic...ness of the writers and project it onto the fans of other programs.

• Fire 2

If we're talking about columnists and writers then I have no qualms or disagreements. Thing is, people tend to take the mistakes and pathetic...ness of the writers and project it onto the fans of other programs.

TRUTH!! Dont lump fans and writters in the same bucket. Writters print this stuff to get attention and most of you fell for it. You know how many extra hits his article got from Husker fans?

Lived in the Iowa City area for 25 years. No projection here.

These were my thoughts, as well.

Usually fans accuse Nebraskans of being full of themselves and claiming superiority when we haven't done much in the last 10 years. True, we haven't done much in the last 10 years.

But as far as I can remember, I don't recall seeing any Nebraska writers writing pieces about other college football programs like this. In my opinion, readers from lesser known programs get off (for lack of a better term) on reading things that downplay an opponent they have a distaste for. While we're sitting here talking about our chances at a championship and our football team, other programs are trying to give themselves a little confidence heading into the season.

The truth of the matter is this - many college football programs are jealous of Nebraska and have been for decades. Fans may not admit it, but it's the truth. Are Iowa fans going to honestly say they'd rather have their history than ours, or their fan base instead of ours from a devotion standpoint? I doubt it.

This kind of stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He's writing for a specific audience and it's not an audience that is fond of Nebraska. If he wants readers and supporters he has to write things, at times, that they want to see.

These were my thoughts, as well.

Usually fans accuse Nebraskans of being full of themselves and claiming superiority when we haven't done much in the last 10 years. True, we haven't done much in the last 10 years.

But as far as I can remember, I don't recall seeing any Nebraska writers writing pieces about other college football programs like this. In my opinion, readers from lesser known programs get off (for lack of a better term) on reading things that downplay an opponent they have a distaste for. While we're sitting here talking about our chances at a championship and our football team, other programs are trying to give themselves a little confidence heading into the season.

The truth of the matter is this - many college football programs are jealous of Nebraska and have been for decades. Fans may not admit it, but it's the truth. Are Iowa fans going to honestly say they'd rather have their history than ours, or their fan base instead of ours from a devotion standpoint? I doubt it.

This kind of stuff needs to be taken with a grain of salt. He's writing for a specific audience and it's not an audience that is fond of Nebraska. If he wants readers and supporters he has to write things, at times, that they want to see.

Yeah, thats a pretty chickensh*t way of handling your business. If anything, us joining the Big 10 means that Hawkeyes have a chance to play in a CCG, instead of watching Ohio St win it every year. and them getting to play in the insight bowl.