classic example of why is dislike most iowans.

Gosh our fanbase is insufferable. We all cry foul at the arrogance of every other fanbase, but fail to see that there's a legitimate reason why all those same fanbases have the same sentiments back at us.

Not to mention all those folks who just love to point out every little thing a Nebraska fan does and project it onto the fans as a whole. Gotta love those folks too, huh? That morally superior position from which they post is more insufferable, to me, than a fan who simply roots for his team over the team next door.

• Fire 1

Gosh our fanbase is insufferable. We all cry foul at the arrogance of every other fanbase, but fail to see that there's a legitimate reason why all those same fanbases have the same sentiments back at us.

I'm not going to act like we're sinless over here, but I sure don't see any Nebraska beat-writers/columnists getting on their soapboxes to write ill-mannered, editorial whine-fests about other college football programs or the states those programs call home. On the contrary, several writers from other newspapers around Big Ten/12 country have felt it necessary to do just that towards Nebraska in the last year. Mike DeArmond, Sam Mellinger, Berry Tramel, Dave Sittler, Jennifer Floyd-Engel, Kirk Bohls, and now this guy.

The source of our indignation as a fanbase stems from the fact that these so-called "professional" journalists seem to happily eschew their professional protocol of objectivity to write these smarmy anti-Nebraska columns, whose arguments each boil down to: "What's so great about Nebraska? They only have 14 TV sets!"

You'll forgive me if I'm averse to snobbish BS'ers who take cheap shots under the guise of professionalism.

If we're talking about columnists and writers then I have no qualms or disagreements. Thing is, people tend to take the mistakes and pathetic...ness of the writers and project it onto the fans of other programs.

me thinks you havent met many iowa fans and discussed football with them. that -1 button would be nice here.

I'm not going to act like we're sinless over here, but I sure don't see any Nebraska beat-writers/columnists getting on their soapboxes to write ill-mannered, editorial whine-fests about other college football programs or the states those programs call home. On the contrary, several writers from other newspapers around Big Ten/12 country have felt it necessary to do just that towards Nebraska in the last year. Mike DeArmond, Sam Mellinger, Berry Tramel, Dave Sittler, Jennifer Floyd-Engel, Kirk Bohls, and now this guy.

The source of our indignation as a fanbase stems from the fact that these so-called "professional" journalists seem to happily eschew their professional protocol of objectivity to write these smarmy anti-Nebraska columns, whose arguments each boil down to: "What's so great about Nebraska? They only have 14 TV sets!"

You'll forgive me if I'm averse to snobbish BS'ers who take cheap shots under the guise of professionalism.

If we're talking about columnists and writers then I have no qualms or disagreements. Thing is, people tend to take the mistakes and pathetic...ness of the writers and project it onto the fans of other programs.

me thinks you havent met many iowa fans and discussed football with them. that -1 button would be nice here.

I have talked to a lot of Hawk fans and lived in Iowa for several years. My Family is split between Iowa Hawk fans and Neb fans. I think your totally off base.

Hawk fans have had to listen to NEB fans since the 70's. We Husker fans knew we had better teams every year, I know I rubbed it in my brothers face every chance I could :)

I know plenty. All are decent folk who love their team with shaded glasses, just like us.

I feel there is far less that separates fanbases than we think.

I mean, how is he ranking his "Top Ten"? By recent success or by prestige? He doesn't make any sense. Some teams are on there because they've done well recently but have no national prestige(Oregon and Boise) while others haven't done anything recently but are very prestigious (Notre Dame and Michigan). Nebraska is roughly equal in prestige to Michigan, for example, but has done way more on the football field since we shared the championship in '97. I really don't understand this guy's point.

He really has no comprehension of how large Nebraska's national following is, either. Many cities around the US have a "Husker Bar" or some type of restaurant for Nebraska fans. Very very few other teams, if any, can say that.

I disagree with most of what he's saying, yes, but hey, it is the summer time for a guy who mostly covers college football. Take it at what it's worth.

I live in Cedar Rapids and have discussed a few Nebraska-Iowa football things with Hlas in the past. The guy's a bit of a homer. He's covered the Hawks for a loooong time. It's just an opinion piece on his 'Hlog.' It's not a news article. It seems the paper he writes for isn't as interested in doing news as much as it is trying to engage the audience and survive. He gives his opinions three times a week on a radio talk show with Bob Bruce, formerly of Omaha radio, as well. Again he's asked for his opinions there.

About the ND and Michigan hats. Kind of a ridiculous statement, and I know all of us Nebraska fans wave our flag, wear our red and decorate our cars with license plates, etc. It's true that some people will go buy a ND or Mich hat and people don't buy Nebraska stuff. Unless you're a Nebraska fan, you don't buy Nebraska gear. It's not trendy. Michigan and ND are, even if they're down. How many people around the country, non-fans, were wearing Nebraska stuff in the mid-90s?

My initial reaction was negativity towards the tone even though I understood the point he was trying to make. However, if you read the comments section. Hlas reacted appropriately to facts that were presented by Husker fans, and admitted that he may have been mistaken with some his points. The fans also were non-confrontational with their posts, unlike some here.

The one thing I disagreed with was his statement about if NU won the Legends this year then his other points would be moot. Not sure how that correlation was made.

I mean, how is he ranking his "Top Ten"? By recent success or by prestige? He doesn't make any sense. Some teams are on there because they've done well recently but have no national prestige(Oregon and Boise) while others haven't done anything recently but are very prestigious (Notre Dame and Michigan). Nebraska is roughly equal in prestige to Michigan, for example, but has done way more on the football field since we shared the championship in '97. I really don't understand this guy's point.

He really has no comprehension of how large Nebraska's national following is, either. Many cities around the US have a "Husker Bar" or some type of restaurant for Nebraska fans. Very very few other teams, if any, can say that.

Iowa has 70 bars/clubs to cheer for the Hawks outside of Iowa, Welcome to the Big ten, this is the norm. Maybe not for NW, Purdue, or Ill.

http://iowa.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=940&CID=326230 Link

I also agree with most of you, as an Iowa fan I never read this guys $h1T. I mean look at his top ten, Boise? Oregon?

Iowa has 70 bars/clubs to cheer for the Hawks outside of Iowa

That's not very many. I counted 73 watch sites just in the first column on this page: watch sites That's just bars that are guaranteed to show the games. I know of more NU bars in Colorado than the ones listed. Taking an educated guess, I'd say there's somewhere around 500 Husker bars around the country.

Iowa has 70 bars/clubs to cheer for the Hawks outside of Iowa

That's not very many. I counted 73 watch sites just in the first column on this page: watch sites That's just bars that are guaranteed to show the games. I know of more NU bars in Colorado than the ones listed. Taking an educated guess, I'd say there's somewhere around 500 Husker bars around the country.

True your team has a sh#t ton, but I live in Fort Collins and two of the bars (Sliders and Jacksons) may show the games but I never really see a following there. Sports column in Denver is the best for Hawkeye games, I urge you to go for the Iowa-Nebby game unless your lucky enough to go to the game.