Husker RB recruit Ameer Abdullah eager for challenge

Those who know him will tell you this is just how Ameer Abdullah likes it. Give him a goal to chase and then just sit back and watch where his ambitions carry him.

Tell him Nebraska needs some incoming freshman running backs to put their feet on the pedal right when they step on campus and provide some help for Rex Burkhead. Just give Abdullah that challenge. He loves challenges.

Continue Reading

Those who know him will tell you this is just how Ameer Abdullah likes it. Give him a goal to chase and then just sit back and watch where his ambitions carry him.

Tell him Nebraska needs some incoming freshman running backs to put their feet on the pedal right when they step on campus and provide some help for Rex Burkhead. Just give Abdullah that challenge. He loves challenges.

Continue Reading

I really liked this kid's HS film. I hope he does big things here, but with the incoming depth at RB, competing for touches may, indeed, become a challenge.

Continue Reading

I really liked this kid's HS film. I hope he does big things here, but with the incoming depth at RB, competing for touches may, indeed, become a challenge.

I think Green, Abdullah and Heard will be a great trio in the future. I personally don't think Okafor, Kildow or Jones will be in the two or three deep come fall.

After watching the HS video, I think Abdullah has just as good of shot as the other incoming freshman for playing time. I know Green has received more national recognition, but he dances in hole a lot while looking for his spot. This type of style is going to be much more difficult at the next level. For being a smaller back, Abdullah runs north/south and with a surprising amount of a power. I do believe Heard and Abdullah will see more action than Green next season. Green is going to be a good player, but I think he's going to need a little more time to develop a style that will work at the D1 level.

"He'll run forever and ever," Wright said. "And in the 30 years I've been coaching, he probably has the quickest acceleration of any athlete I've been around.

From his hs coach. :thumbs

A quiet young man, i like this kid already.

Helu Jr. was a quiet young man, so was Rex Burkhead.

The RB position looks very good for the future!

I really liked this kid from the first article I read after he committed. Good kid, good family background. Its one thing to look good on film on the field but it looks like he'll be an asset to the Huskers off it as well.

I don't know about depth at RB. I thought that, too, but then someone here (sorry that I've forgotten who) made me think about it. After Rex, name one proven RB we have on this team. Even including Rex, we don't have any RBs who are used to consistently carrying the workload at this level. While I have all the confidence in the world in Burkhead, if he goes down we're left with several D1A-level RBs who never lived up to their potential and three raw recruits still wet behind the ears.

Between Heard, Abdullah and Green I think we'll have a minimum of one guy who can contribute meaningful touches this year, maybe two. If we're lucky enough that two of these guys prove capable of success at this level, we'll be OK. But at this point, that's still a pretty big "if."

Everyone's been focused on QB this offseason, but RB is as much a concern as QB.