Bret Bielema: Wiscy fans "very excited" about Nebraska

What's the excitement level like around the Wisconsin fan base regarding Nebraska joining the conference and being the team that gets to officially welcome NU to the Big Ten?

"I think a lot of fans are very excited about Nebraska. I think that went over really well in Wisconsin. Outside of Iowa, I think Nebraska's kind of a team Wisconsin is always compared to. Nebraska kind of has that same mentality of being a tough team, a grind-it-out team, a hardworking team, whatever you want to call it.

"Wisconsin's definitely excited to welcome them into the conference, and Wisconsin loves those night games. I think that's going to be a great atmosphere and a great way to welcome Nebraska into the conference. Barry Alverez, Wisconsin's athletic director, has ties to Nebraska, so I think Wisconsin's pretty familiar with Nebraska through him and whatnot, and I think the general consensus is Nebraska's a welcomed addition and they can't wait to play Nebraska in that first Big Ten opener."

A lot of Husker fans kind of view Wisconsin as a friendly rivalry of sorts when you consider all the ties and similarities between the program. Is that feeling mutual from Badger fans?

"I would kind of view this as - you know, Wisconsin's rivalry with Iowa, it would be fairly similar to that in starting to build a rivalry with Nebraska, where there is a lot of mutual respect with how Nebraska runs things and the type of program that they have. It's kind of similar to Wisconsin and Iowa. I think the fan bases kind of respect each other, but at the same time they want to go out and rip each other's heads off in the game.

"I think Nebraska will step in right away and be a rivalry right from the start. It's definitely one that's going to rank pretty high up there. I think Wisconsin and Iowa is a big rivalry, Wisconsin-Minnesota is a big rivalry, and I think Nebraska is going to rank right up there with those three."

LINK

He also talks about the difficulty of replacing Tolzien and the benefit of having great depth at RB. Good read from Rivals.

I think the fan bases kind of respect each other, but at the same time they want to go out and rip each other's heads off in the game.

Maybe not rip their *heads* off. But I'd like to knock a couple of cheesehead hats off and stomp them in the ground.

Campy Randall is gonna be rockin' on Oct. 1st.

Aside from the uniforms, I don't see a lot of similarities in our programs. Wisconsin has an all time record of 625-468-53 (56.9%), whereas Nebraska has an all time record of 847-345-41 (70.4%). Wisconsin has 0 national titles, whereas Nebraska has 5. Wisconsin has 11 conference titles, whereas Nebraska has 46. Wisconsin has played in 22 bowl games, whereas Nebraska has played in 47.

Disclaimer: This is not intended to be disrespectful to Wiscy fans. They usually have a good squad.

I think it stems from them being a team on the rise. A passionate fan base, that is blue collar. Down to earth, play the game as it is supposed to be played and respect your competition. I think that is the comparisson he is making. Wins and losses really do not matter at this point, down the road 20 years it will be a big deal.

I think it was a shot accross the bow, letting us know they are ready, willing and waiting for us to trot on to their home field. They welcome the challenge and their fans do to. Just like we are excited about playing them.

I plan to be there for the first game, can hardly wait!!!!!!

• Fire 1

There are some Big 10 games that naturally are going to carry more weight than others. Wisconsin fits that mold. Due to the program similarities, ties to each other, recent program success, and current expectations, the Huskers and Badgers will be a knock down drag out...... Year in and year out. Personally, I can't wait.

Go Big Red!

I think it stems from them being a team on the rise. A passionate fan base, that is blue collar. Down to earth, play the game as it is supposed to be played and respect your competition. I think that is the comparisson he is making. Wins and losses really do not matter at this point, down the road 20 years it will be a big deal.

I think it was a shot accross the bow, letting us know they are ready, willing and waiting for us to trot on to their home field. They welcome the challenge and their fans do to. Just like we are excited about playing them.

I plan to be there for the first game, can hardly wait!!!!!!

I agree.

There will be a ton of hype for this game. It will be a night game at Camp Randall. Add 7 points to Wisc because of the night game at CR. Other than that Wisc faces an uphill battle.

Wisc loses some key offensive players (QB, WR, TE) and I think the offense struggles against the Neb D.

I say 17-10 Neb.

The impossible question to answer will be how much of CR will be filled by Neb fans???

Very few is my guess. Tickets will be very expensive, and it being the first game, will have historical meaning to a lot of fans on both sides. I think Wisconsin will do everything possible to avoid us taking over their stadium. Just like Penn State did. They are a loyal bunch, and believe they are on par with us. We will be there I am sure, but not any great overshadowing numbers, basiclly what we are alloted and a couple of thousand more, is my guess.