SIGNED LB Jared Afalava

I don't believe Braylon ever went to a juco, with or without a football program. Did he not just take a semester off to "study?"

Yes, Braylon took his needed classes at a local junior college in Ohio. The school did not have a football program, which meant he retained all of his eligibility.

IIRC, it can be done due to some changes in NCAA rules concerning eligibility with athletes who want to go to junior colleges. I think they phrased it as being a year for 'academic readiness'.

Is there a reason alot of these kids go the JUCO route instead of a prep school route. Pros, cons, etc. If anyone knows please give us the rundown and reasonings. Thanks.

Grades and just choice. Alot of kids who choose prep schools are typically close on grades, but just come up short. Schools, especially in the ACC and SEC, like prep schools for these kids because the coaches at these schools are VERY GOOD at making sure the player ends up at the same school they originally signed with.

Typically, JUCO players are guys who simply struggled more in high school. Not very often will you find a player that is able to become academically eligible after a year in the JUCO ranks. If you do, that player just made the decision that either: A) JUCO was simply better suited for me, normally because of closeness to home, or B) Due to an abundant number of JUCOs, it could help me get more exposure and better offers

Thanks for clarifying. I'm still confused though...if he did indeed go to a JuCo to gather a credit, then shouldn't his ACT of 18 (I think) be enough to be accepted to Nebraska? Maybe his score was lower than I remember...

I have a feeling he won't be interested in a greyshirt. That works for Nebraska kids like Marsh or Leverson(didn't he greyshirt?), not someone who didn't grow up a huge Husker fan, and has a bunch of other D1 offers ... unless I'm missing something here.

Cant greyshirt if he can't qualify.

The coaches must be seeing something in this kid to put up with the academic issues. I wouldn't chase this fish with what I've heard ... so this one still leaves me curious until more is revealed.

His athletic ability and body frame would keep any warm blooded interested

Agreed, however one has to meet the minimum academic standards to get on the field ... thus the point I was making.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant be much of a washington lean now that Sark is cleaning house on the defensive side

SEATTLE -- Nick Holt arrived at Washington with the fanfare -- and salary -- usually reserved for head coaches.

It set a level of expectations Holt never matched, and on Saturday he was fired after three years as the Huskies' defensive coordinator.

The dismissal came two days after Washington gave up 777 total yards and 67 points against Baylor in the Valero Alamo Bowl. It was the most yards allowed in school history and second-most points surrendered. What's more, the embarrassment came on a national stage, the defensive shortcomings exposed for all to see.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7407913/washington-huskies-fire-d-coordinator-nick-holt-two-other-coaches

Momma wins

many times ;)

This calls for a dancing banana-cob or three. :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance :corndance I have read that this guy is seriously underrated. Ya, we hear that alot, but hope springs eternal.